Need a quality Salad Mister!

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I have purchased several over the years and nothing has stood the test of time. It'd be handy for homemade salad dressings, or even just instead of buying Pam.

What are you using, if anything?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
avoid pampered Chef. you'll turn into a swearing cook- they clog, & soon, too.

i now prefer to place a thumb over a bottle, & splash items on.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
The best tool(s) in the house is probably sitting right in front of you.

The blender and the food processor. These two appliances pretty much excel at making salad dressings.

The blender has a higher speed (universal) motor to emulsify and pulverize. The food processor, though it have a slower speed (induction) motor, but still, it is pretty agile and can also get the Job Done.

If you don't have either of those, then there's the hand whip. I've used all three at one time or another for making salad dressings Also, your stand mixer can do it with the wire whisk.

So why buy something that might get clogged up when you already have at least 4 tools in the kitchen that can do the job very nicely for you? :wow:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
misting & dressing- there is a difference. a mist is a mist.

a dressing,- that's 'oft sopping salad in a usually very oily & overwhelming dredge of -------

K

Kimchee

I've tried those Misto sprayers, maybe I don't know the secret, but they stream instead of misting.
Saw a quart size pump sprayer at a garden store, that didn't work either.
I've tried lots of oil in the device with high pressure and low pressure.
I've tried just a little oil. That with high pressure seems to work best, but it still only
mists for a second, then becomes a stream.
My hypothesis is that the viscosity of the oil means a constant high pressure is needed, and pump sprayers just don't maintain it.
My next experiment is going to be a whipped cream dispenser powered by a C02 cartridge, but I fear the nozzle on that isn't small enough.
So I do the drizzle thing these days too, then a nice toss.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sorry, guys.

Got this confused.

Rachael Ray has an oil bottle out that can be used as a mister, but it pours the oil instead of misting it. :clap:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the overwhelming experience I've seen/read/followed is misters clog up way way too fast, and may or may not be 'cleanable / restore-able' without hours and hours and/or special tools and/or dynamite.

I dimly recall that somebody found one that worked well. can't find that anymore - it may have been on one of the Forums that closed.

America's Test Kitchen, fwiw, and that imho isn't much, likes:

"The Orka Flavor and Oil Mister with Filter was easy to clean, fill, and monitor the oil level in this clear plastic model. Comfortable to use, it was the most consistent sprayer, sustaining a light, delicate spray far longer than other misters. $11.99"

price is 2+ yrs old....

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
My hypothesis is that the viscosity of the oil means a constant high pressure is needed, and pump sprayers just don't maintain it.
QUOTE]

yep. viscosity- not to mention weather- they may well both factor in.