Sauerbraten

Dogboa

I'm of German desent and one of my favorite dishes that my grandmother made is sauerbraten. She would serve this with kartoffelklosse (stuffed potato dumplings). These dumpling are about the size of a baseball and are stuffed with herbed bread cubes (Pepperidge Farms) that been mixed with butter sauteed onions, celery, poultry seasoning, S&P. Extra dumplings were made and cooked, which were sliced and fried (butter) the next day for breakfast.

When we make this dish, rotkohl is added as a side. We use Jeff Smiths recipe.

picture.php

The dumplings
picture.php

Dumplings cut in half. They actually get sliced into 4 pieces for frying.
picture.php

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Will you be posting the recipes? If so and you start individual threads for the meat, cabbage and dumpling recipes please put the links here.

My mom made sauerbraten and cabbage for my father (who was raised by German/Dutch foster parents) but I never got the recipe. I don't think she used one or it was lost.

TIA

Johnny West

I haven't made sauerbraten in years and thanks for the reminder. When I lived in Meisau my neighbor lady was from Koln and she said they made the gravy with gingerbread cake. It's very good and the leftover cake makes a wonderful dessert. I gave my German cookbook to my son so will have to google recipe. BTW, use good red wine.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
The dough for the dumplings is pretty much like I make potato gnocchi, except a LOT more of it obviously. There's a tutorial for gnocchi posted here.

The filling is just finely diced onions and celery sauteed in butter, with the S and P added, plus the poultry seasoning, then the stuffing cubes (you can use fresh bread cubes that have been dried out a bit if you don't have the stuffing). You'll want to use enough butter that the cubes have some to soak up, but not to the point of being greasy/soggy. We don't really have a recipe per se for the filling, but you'll need a rounded tablespoon or so for each dumpling. I make a potato dough ball about the size of a tennis ball, maybe a tad smaller, make a deep indention for the filling and then close it up around it, make sure it is totally sealed, otherwise you'll get watery filling. They get cooked in gently boiling water just like the gnocchi, though they generally won't float to the top, just part way, and you do have to let them cook a bit once they start to float to be sure they are done all the way through. I'll also use some potato flour in with the regular flour if we happen to have it on hand.

Red cabbage recipe can be found http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~hhanson/recipes/rotkohl.html .

Sauerbraten recipe http://boards.fool.com/sauerbraten-10341847.aspx?sort=threaded .

I make spatzle for me as I'm not overly fond of the potato dumplings, way too heavy for me, 1 of them and I'm done. Craig's happy with that, more for him!

Last edited:

Johnny West

I love dumplings but never took the time to learn how to make them and am ashamed. The dried German made spaetzle at the commissary is what I get.

I actually met Jeff Smith once an will leave it at that. He was from Tacoma.

This recipe is like what I did before only I used more red wine.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/sauerbraten-recipe

Back in the 70's a friend killed a berry fed black bear and we did a pot roast with red wine, vinegar, and juniper berries from our tree in the courtyard and it was amazing.

Dogboa

I haven't made sauerbraten in years and thanks for the reminder. When I lived in Meisau my neighbor lady was from Koln and she said they made the gravy with gingerbread cake. It's very good and the leftover cake makes a wonderful dessert. I gave my German cookbook to my son so will have to google recipe. BTW, use good red wine.

We use homemade gingersnap cookies to thicken the gravy.

Dogboa

You are right (du hast reich)! There are as many recipes for this as there are grandmothers in Germany!:good: