Brewing

RNE228

Anyone brewing?

I have two carboys of Porter and one of Cream Ale about ready to keg.

We're gonna brew again on 1/31. I have not decided a style or recipe yet.
Years ago I made a maple syrup stout; thinking about trying that again. Not sure if I want to brew it from extract, or convert the recipe to all grain...

chowhound

I don't, but one of my friend's does. He's always telling me I should start. I just don't know if I would get into it, since I like plain old American beer. I'm not into microbrews and all the flavored brews..... unless I'm drinking one of his, lol.

waybomb

I dunno, for me beer only works on a very hot humid day, and then it has to be the kind beer connoisseurs really don't care for - Corona, a bit of salt in the bottle, and a wedge of lime.

RNE228

I dunno, for me beer only works on a very hot humid day, and then it has to be the kind beer connoisseurs really don't care for - Corona, a bit of salt in the bottle, and a wedge of lime.

I like rich porters and stouts. A nice IPA.

But... one of my favorite and memorable beers is Coors. Years ago, I was learning the drywall trade. Summer out here is 100-110F... When we'd texture a house, you would come out the front door soaked to the bone in sweat; the house was taped and papered off. All the moisture in the texture made it like a sauna.

When we were finished, and cleaning up, one of the guys would run to the corner store with a couple five gallon buckets. He'd come back with a couple 12 packs of Coors all iced down. We'd be finishing putting tools away etc, and crack open that ice cold Coors.

It was sooooooooo good!

RNE228

I don't, but one of my friend's does. He's always telling me I should start. I just don't know if I would get into it, since I like plain old American beer. I'm not into microbrews and all the flavored brews..... unless I'm drinking one of his, lol.

This cream ale I have is pretty light, in body and hops. I used to like Gennessee Cream Ale, and Little Kings. Don't see them around here so much though.

You might split a batch with your buddy. On our last brew session, I made 10 gallons of porter(noted above). A buddy and I made the 10 gallons of cream ale, and split the batch. I have a carboy full, and so does he. I loaned him bottles, carboy, and stuff to finish his portion.

I'm guessing your buddy does stove top batches in 5 gallons? So you each come out with 2-1/2 gallons(about a case of beer each).

There are TONS of recipes out there, in lots of styles. There are lots of lighter beer recipes.

This coming Saturday, when we brew, there is supposed to be four of us there with equipment and stuff. We brew outside, on propane "turkey cooker" burners. All four of us will be splitting some batches with friends.

It is fun to do like this. I like it, because it's more exciting with more people. And, new folks can try it for the price of the ingredients, before they make the investment on their own stuff.