Spatchcock Cornish Hen (Grilled)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s a great and often overlooked way to cook a Cornish hen.

Spatchcock Cornish Hen

Ingredients

1 Cornish Hen
Sage
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
1/4 cup Russian dressing

Procedure

First, you need to spatchcock the hen. This means to cut the backbone out. Using a pair of utility scissors, cut up one side of the hen’s backbone. Once you have made the full cut, repeat on the other side to completely remove the backbone.

Now place the hen cavity (bone) side down on a cutting board. Next, press down on the breast firmly. Your goal here is to snap the wishbone so that the hen lays perfectly flat.

Season the hen with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a touch of sage (but not too much). Once well dusted in the spices, it’s ready for the grill. You’ll want to grill the hen for about 35 minutes over medium coals, or until the thigh meat hits 165F.

Start by placing the hen on the grill bone side down. Cover and grill for 10 minutes. Flip the hen so that it is skin side down, cover and grill another 10 minutes. Flip the hen once more so that it is bone side down again; it will stay that way from here out. Cover and grill another 5 minutes. Now apply a liberal coating of Russian dressing, cover and grill until done. If you like, you can give it a second coat of the dressing after 5 minutes. Once done, remove the hen from the grill to a covered dish and allow it to rest for 5 – 10 minutes.

To serve, place the hen on a cutting board (bone side down) and use a sharp knife to cut the hen in half (through the breast bone). Plate each half along with your favorite sides.

Notes

Be careful as you are flipping the hen and removing it from the grill. The hen gets very tender, and the leg quarters are prone to fall off if you aren’t careful. No big deal really, but it does spoil the presentation a bit. The Russian dressing not only tastes great on this, but the bright red color looks really good on the plate.

GrillinFool

First time I ever heard the term on a grilling website I almost fell out of my seat. Someone posted, "Have you ever tried spatchcocking your chicken?" I thought, "oh snap, someone is going to get a time out." Didn't realize it was a legit term!?!?!

I have never tried this yet.....A saw Alton Brown do it and cook it in a Foreman....

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
First time I ever heard the term on a grilling website I almost fell out of my seat. Someone posted, "Have you ever tried spatchcocking your chicken?" I thought, "oh snap, someone is going to get a time out." Didn't realize it was a legit term!?!?!

I have never tried this yet.....A saw Alton Brown do it and cook it in a Foreman....

:yum: :yum: :yum:

Yeah, it does sound a bit risque, but it is definitely a legit term!! :lol:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
That does sound good. Last time I tried Cornish Hen they turned out OK, but not great. Can't wait to try this one out! Thanks!

chowhound

And I just happen to have some cornish hens in the freezer.

This past weekend I saw Guy Fieri (sp?) doing a spatchcocked chicken in a pan with a brick for weight on top..... something about making the meat all one thickness and cooking evenly. I was half dozing, but I caught just enough to make me dangerous :wink:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here are the pics!

Cornish hen pics

1. Cut up the right side of the backbone
http://i44.tinypic.com/2wnw75h.jpg
2wnw75h.jpg

2. Cut up the left side of the backbone.
http://i44.tinypic.com/swbjtw.jpg
swbjtw.jpg

3. Once the cuts are done, the backbone is completely out.
http://i43.tinypic.com/ic8ojq.jpg
ic8ojq.jpg

4. Lay flat, bone side down, on cutting board and press down on breast to break wishbone.
http://i41.tinypic.com/339n3gp.jpg
339n3gp.jpg

5. Grill according to recipe, and finish with sauce.
2vcahzo.jpg

6. Cut in half to serve.
1534k9e.jpg

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
OMG you should not be allowed to post pics!!!
I am so hungry now! LOL.
Seriously though, thanks for the pics, it helps me visualize it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Maverick! It is a nice and rather simple dish.

Even Miss Wiggy approves!! :yum:

2hpoyag.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
nice looking chicken

heres a video to go along with your pics keltin

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGQr8xmxRT0[/ame]

GrillinFool

GREAT pics!!! Gonna have to do this.

As for the brick thing, I saw either Reichlin or Flay do it with whole chickens on the grill like that. Wrapped a brick with tin foil and put it right on the bird.

chowhound

I keep a heavy brick by my grill for when I make pressed Cubans. I guess a brick could go under your must have grill tools ;^)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yes, thanks Bam!

It really is easy to do with decent scissors. Just keep your shears close to the backbone as you make the cut. Don’t veer too far over near the body, and all you’ll be faced with and have to cut through are the small rib bones. In the video they use a knife, but I find scissors are easier.

GrillinFool

Yes, thanks Bam!

It really is easy to do with decent scissors. Just keep your shears close to the backbone as you make the cut. Don’t veer too far over near the body, and all you’ll be faced with and have to cut through are the small rib bones. In the video they use a knife, but I find scissors are easier.

I was thinking the same thing when looking between your pics and the vid. I thought, "scissors would probably be easier."

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Made this again tonight with a smallish whole chicken and not a Cornish Hen. Same principle applies. We used French Dressing for the glaze!

Here she is with backbone out and seasoned.
Step1-24.jpg

On the grill. Again, we do a lot of grilling in small portions for only two, so the Weber Smokey Joe is the way to go. We love it!
step2-19.jpg

Off the grill and sauced. This time we used French Dressing. It’s such a treat and an adventure to use thick salad dressings in place of BBQ sauce. Really. Try it!
step3-15.jpg

Cut her in half.
step4-11.jpg

Serve with Shaken-n-bake potatoes.
step5-11.jpg

Fully plated on the table serving platter with meaty baked beans, bow tie pasta, and rolls.
Step6-6.jpg

step7-6.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
looks awesome...

answer me one question though.... please tell me you dont you charcoal lighter fluid still? do you? please tell me no?.lmao:yum::yum::yum:

and thank you very much for making me hungry at 4am...lol

all i have to eat is leftover cold pizza..lol

chowhound

Looks great, K. I might have to look into one of those Smoky Joes for a changeup.
Super looking plate of food.

Constance

I've done that to chickens before, but I never new it was called spatchcocking. Can't wait until next time, and I'll tell DH to spatchcock my hen. :D

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
looks awesome...

answer me one question though.... please tell me you dont you charcoal lighter fluid still? do you? please tell me no?.lmao:yum::yum::yum:

and thank you very much for making me hungry at 4am...lol

all i have to eat is leftover cold pizza..lol

Just a chimney and some newspaper! :thumb:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Made this again tonight with a smallish whole chicken and not a Cornish Hen. Same principle applies. We used French Dressing for the glaze!

Here she is with backbone out and seasoned.
Step1-24.jpg

On the grill. Again, we do a lot of grilling in small portions for only two, so the Weber Smokey Joe is the way to go. We love it!
step2-19.jpg

Off the grill and sauced. This time we used French Dressing. It’s such a treat and an adventure to use thick salad dressings in place of BBQ sauce. Really. Try it!
step3-15.jpg

Cut her in half.
step4-11.jpg

Serve with Shaken-n-bake potatoes.
step5-11.jpg

Fully plated on the table serving platter with meaty baked beans, bow tie pasta, and rolls.
Step6-6.jpg

step7-6.jpg

Spatchcocked chicken is on my short list of things to try. I don't remember where I saw or read it, but someone said that they ran criss-crossed metal skewers through the spatchcocked chicken to keep it from buckling up on the grill. Looks like yours stayed pretty flat.....nice chickie!