The Next Food Network Star '09 Season 5.

sirena

PM's sent to both Deadly Sushi and Buzzard767. I trust that most thinking people here understand the issue I took with DS's "gymnast" statement. Enough said. I'm moving on.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
:huh:......

OK! So who ya'll think is going to be at least in the final 3?

Im thinking Jeffery, Jamika and Allysia. I like all 3 actually.

smoke king

Banned
Man, its tough. Seems that they've cleared away the dead wood, so it's anybodys to win. I could see Jamika or Deb with a FN show. I'm kinda pulling for Melissa though, just because she dosen't have any formal culinary training (like most of us!!).

That being said, whenever I get behind a contestant in one of these cooking competitions, it seems to be the kiss of death for them, so Melissa, I sincerely apologize!!

Deadly Sushi

Wooooooooo Hooooooooo!!!!! They kicked Katie! Im a happy camper. Now Im guessing next week they will kick Michael. He isnt good in front of a camera.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Wooooooooo Hooooooooo!!!!! They kicked Katie! Im a happy camper. Now Im guessing next week they will kick Michael. He isnt good in front of a camera.

I agree, Katie just didn't "fit in". She tried though. I have no idea who will go next week, it's a tough call depending on how their challenges go.
As far as the camera issue, all of them are either too intense :w00t: or scared to death :shock: - hard call for the judges, I'm sure...and not fun to watch either, lol

Cooksie

Site Supporter
So now we know that Michael bit the dust. It's down to Melissa, Jeffrey, Jamika, and Debbie. I think the next one to go will be Jamika. She just doesn't seem to be able to "think" in front of the camera. I was very disappointed in Debbie Sunday night because I thought she threw Melissa under the bus and was just worried about "her" appetizer.

I'm looking forward to seeing a Melissa/Jeffrey/Debbie cook-off. I've seen Jeffrey run over Jamika (the Rachel Ray episode) and Debbie leave Melissa stranded, so I'm just waiting to see if Melissa's claws emerge (instead of tears) as things get tight. It's definitely getting more interesting.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Pretty much the same thing had happened with Aaron last year. They said that he was struggling a lot last year, but he managed to pull it off and become the top winner in the contest.

Deadly Sushi

OK!!!! I picked two in a row!!!! :clap:

Next I predict Debbie the Korean will get booted. AND..... for the winner.....
Jeffery!!!!!
He has the cooking background and the guy can speak well infront of a camera.

Anyone else with me?!? :bounce:

smoke king

Banned
OK then, whos it going to be tonite? I have to agree with rickismom, Debbies time is up. My favorite memory of her will be Micheal going upside her head with that sheet pan.......:yum::yum:

She showed a very unappealing side of herself last week, IMHO.

Shermie

Site Supporter
OK then, whos it going to be tonite? I have to agree with rickismom, Debbies time is up. My favorite memory of her will be Micheal going upside her head with that sheet pan.......:yum::yum:

She showed a very unappealing side of herself last week, IMHO.

The preview shows her breaking down. Like she can't do it any more. :dizzy:

smoke king

Banned
I just got done watching it, and was a little more than surprised to see Jamika go. I thought she would be in it until the end. Moreover, I just can't understand how she was booted and Debbie stayed!

Shermie

Site Supporter
I hoped that Jamika would stay as well.

This is part of why I don't like this damn show. Other than Aaron winning last year. The ones that you want to win this year don't!!

smoke king

Banned
The ones that you want to win this year don't!!

LOL-With the exception of Danny on "Hells Kitchen", the ones I root for never win!

I'm all-in for Melissa now-I think it would be cool to see a regular "home cook" win it-you know, a "Josephine six-pack" like us!!! Plus, I think shes got some chops as well!

Shermie

Site Supporter
I had high hopes for Jamika, and they friggen canned her! What a damn shame!!

GotGarlic

I just got done watching it, and was a little more than surprised to see Jamika go. I thought she would be in it until the end. Moreover, I just can't understand how she was booted and Debbie stayed!

She didn't handle herself well last night - it's not good form to tell a judge how pissed she is that they took her ingredients away and made her think on her feet. She got really snippy.

GotGarlic

Pretty much the same thing had happened with Aaron last year. They said that he was struggling a lot last year, but he managed to pull it off and become the top winner in the contest.

He *was* struggling, and he didn't deserve to win. It was all about demographics, imo.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Aaron has an elite culinary background to back himself up with. I wanted him to win because hardly any of the cooking shows had a black man hosting them for eons!

Had he not won, he would have worked on opening another 4-star steakhouse, which he plans to do anyway somewhere down the road.

Jamika was pushed to the breaking point. That type of really grueling contest can really take its toll on contestants who have a hard time dealing with a lot of pressure like that!

I've seen some of the contestants get really stressed out on that program and want to leave it. I hope that she does well and finds some culinary career choices that will suit her needs & values.

Last edited:

GotGarlic

Aaron has an elite culinary background to back himself up with. I wanted him to win because hardly any of the cooking shows had a black man hosting them for eons!

And you just proved my point :smile: That *is* why he won. I'm not saying he has no cooking skills, but he wasn't as good in front of the camera as the other finalists.

Jamika was pushed to the breaking point. That type of really gruling contest can really take its toll on contestants who have a hard time dealing with a lot of pressure like that!

I've seen some of the contestants get really stressed out on that program. I hope that she does well and finds some culinary career choices that will suit her needs & values.

Well, it's a stressful job - of course the selection committee wants to see how the contestants react in stressful situations. She didn't react well. I do like her, so I hope she does well in life; I just think she's not suited to be a TV personality.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Some people have it and some don't.

But when you got, FLAUNT it and flaunt it well!

And I think that is what Aaron is doing.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Down to three now! It wouldn't have bothered me if they had cut both Jamika and Debbie last night. I do believe Debbie will be next. "The capers are in the dressing," helloooooo.......she told a big fat lie and then tried to crawfish when Bobby Flay (I think) called her out on it. I think she would be a terror to work with because nothing would ever be her fault.

I think Melissa would fit in nicely with all the other FN shows. There are a lot of mommies out there cooking for young families who could relate well to her.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I could NEVER be in that contest!

The least little thing would set me off and I'd get mad and be heading for the door like a bat out of hell!! Can't deal with stress.

Deadly Sushi

Well I was WRONG!!!! I predicted Debbie would be booted this week but Jamika got kicked to the curb instead!!! :huh: Well they BOTH deserved getting booted. Debbie is a liar and a snake!! And if she mentions she is Korean ONE MORE TIME Im going to start a Hate Debbie website!
Jamika, her poor attitude and lack of self control got her kicked. Its a shame because I did like her.
OK..... Debbie MUST be booted off next week.

I hope Jeff wins. He has a good on-screen feel. :chef:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Well I was WRONG!!!! I predicted Debbie would be booted this week but Jamika got kicked to the curb instead!!! :huh: Well they BOTH deserved getting booted. Debbie is a liar and a snake!! And if she mentions she is Korean ONE MORE TIME Im going to start a Hate Debbie website!
Jamika, her poor attitude and lack of self control got her kicked. Its a shame because I did like her.
OK..... Debbie MUST be booted off next week.

I hope Jeff wins. He has a good on-screen feel. :chef:

I liked Jamika as well. Too bad that she got chopped. :sad: