Cooking Show Pet Peeves

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I like Guy, but he needs some new lines. Most of the others you listed I like as well except RR. Don't watch her or Giada at all anymore. DW watchs more of these shows than I do, but then she also watches all those home improvement shows, make over shows, bride shows, etc. Blech!!
Last thing I need to do is watch some woman complain that her $250,000 wedding is just not as 'dreamy' and 'perfect' as she really really wanted. I spent $35 on my wedding at the court house, and $90,000 on my house... get over it lady!!!!
5 years later when she is getting divorced she sure is gonna wish that debt wasn't there!!

Mr. Green Jeans

Last fall Good Eats devoted 2 shows to water, it physical properties etc and importance in cooking. As usual Alton Brown packed them full of science. DW teaches high school boiology, chemistry & physics. I told her about the shows and she commented that the programs would be a great teaching tool, an answer to "why is important that I learn this stuff?"
So I go to the web site click "We'd love to hear from you" and ask if copies of the show were available for sale <taking the high road>. No response. There's my peeve, posing to be in touch with the fan base.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Last fall Good Eats devoted 2 shows to water, it physical properties etc and importance in cooking. As usual Alton Brown packed them full of science. DW teaches high school boiology, chemistry & physics. I told her about the shows and she commented that the programs would be a great teaching tool, an answer to "why is important that I learn this stuff?"
So I go to the web site click "We'd love to hear from you" and ask if copies of the show were available for sale <taking the high road>. No response. There's my peeve, posing to be in touch with the fan base.

You can buy the Alton Brown DVDs online.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
...they are all too perfect...

they never spill, they never drop... they never make mistakes... I'd like to see how they fix the goof ups when they DO happen...
I don't do those things either when I cook. What does that make me...aside from perfect?:yum:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
...they are all too perfect...

they never spill, they never drop... they never make mistakes... I'd like to see how they fix the goof ups when they DO happen...

That was one of the reasons that I loved Sara Moulton. She, like Julia Child was real.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sara Moulton actually worked for Julia Child when she started out as a producer. I liked Sara Moulton myself and her show was informative until she started on deserts which is when I change the channel regardless of who they are.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I think all you guys hit the chef on the head. I agree with all your points. I am getting quite tired of all the "Challenge" baking shows every weekend on cakes. I am so sick of cake I could spit. In fact I think I will. There. I feel better on that aspect now.
As far as the hygiene goes, I don't think I've ever seen one person on FN that didn't wash their hands but they all scrape the cutting boards with the wrong end of the knife, at least I've never seen one that didn't. I use my clean hands :)

Last year I had the pleasure of seeing a few chefs in live demonstrations ( Guy Fieri, Jacques pepin, Robert Irvine...) And the common thing in all these live demonstrations were, they all screwed something up one way or another ( burning, missing ingredients ..) And the truth is , I loved it. I loved seeing them do what I always do, and seeing them work there way out of it. I think the FN shows are all over produced and edited. I remember the frugal gourmet ( jeff smith), Jacquese pepin, julia and others just cooking. Not for the ' show biz' factor,but just to show and teach. If they screwed up, they admitted to what they did, and explained how to get around it. I dont need the catch phrases or ' meals in 30 minutes' when it too kthe staff a few hours to prepare the ingredients prior.

My advice is go see some live demonstrations at food and wine festivals. I went to 3 of them last year, and had a blast. Now on my annual to do list.

larry

homecook

I agree with you Larry. I've been to a few Food Shows and I love it. I've seen Rachael Ray, Mario Batelli, Paula Deen and Michael Symon. I've also seen some local chefs and they are so real when they make mistakes and continue on how to rectify what they did wrong.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I agree, the new shows seem to be about catch phrases and show biz. I prefer 'real' chefs that make mistakes so I can learn how they get around them too. And live demonstrations are way cool!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Me too Buddy...I can relate to them more...Lord knows I've made my share of mistakes. Did I ever tell you the one about the flaming sweet potato casserole? :blush:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, it was Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and we were having our usual crowd plus my DD had invited a friend from her church whose family lived in Texas and he was unable to go home for the holiday. Everything was going fairly smoothly and I was starting to put everything on the table. The sweet potato casserole was in the oven...you know the kind with the little marshmallows on top...it was done but the top hadn't browned quite as much as I would have liked so I turned on the broiler....well, needless to say, I forgot about it until I started smelling something that reminded me of marshmallows roasting on an open fire. I enjoyed the smell for a minute and then it dawned on me. My DD was in the kitchen so I told her, "Quick...the oven!!!!" She opened the oven door to a flaming casserole and smoke everywhere. I told her to run outside with it before it smells up the whole house. I opened the door as she got there with the smoking casserole only to find her friend standing in the doorway just about to knock...:oops:
Later he said it was the most fun Thanksgiving he had ever had. :lol: