what is your next kitchen toy?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
my next purchase is hopefully going to be a kitchenaid food processor and yes in the color shown because then Mrs.Bam will think its cute and let me buy it(yup she just saw the picture and said i can have it because its pink...lol)

or

a kitchenaid mixer

KitchenAid_FoodProcessor_KFP750PK.JPG

slide6.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
A battle axe I think! :yum::yum:

Actually, I want to get a potato ricer. After making gnocchi the other night, I think I NEED it! :lol:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
A battle axe I think! :yum::yum:

Actually, I want to get a potato ricer. After making gnocchi the other night, I think I NEED it! :lol:

those are cheap too..i see them all the time in second hand stores..usually not more than a couple of bucks

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
those are cheap too..i see them all the time in second hand stores..usually not more than a couple of bucks

Oddly enough, I hit a few stores on the way home (not Wally World big...small stores), and never found one. Supply store was closed, so I gave up. Got to try again! :thumb:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Oddly enough, I hit a few stores on the way home (not Wally World big...small stores), and never found one. Supply store was closed, so I gave up. Got to try again! :thumb:

your quest wont take long..lol

if you have a Dirt Cheap around you, u will probably find it there among other things you didnt know you needed.lol

i found an electric peppermill in Mississippi for $5...retailed at $100..even at a light on it..lol

Last edited:

chowhound

I'm thinking about another knife, too. Something in the 10" range. I've got one bookmarked on one of my computers that Buzz recommended. Just need to find it again.

PanchoHambre

I have had to suspend acquisitions... I have been boxing up my kitchen for demo so my next toy will be a rebuilt kitchen

I may look for one of those electric pressure cookers to help me with the down time,,,
and some for of smoker is on my list for summer

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'm waiting on a new knife also. It's a 240mm (9.4") Sakai Takayuki Grand Cheff. The last one I ordered from this manufacturer took three months. I placed the order on Nov. 6th so history is repeating itself. The importer emailed earlier in the week and informed me that it was in shipment - by boat, probably the slow one from China. It'll be my last toy for awhile, the economy and all.....

240mmTakayukiGC.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well income tax came in late Jan. So I picked up two pans which I've been using. Both are All-Clad stainless line. 7 qt pot and a 13" French chef's.

Attachments

• All-Clad Stainless-Steel Pasta Pentola.jpg
    All-Clad Stainless-Steel Pasta Pentola.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 187
  • All-Clad-SS_13_FrenchChef.jpg
    All-Clad-SS_13_FrenchChef.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 183

The Tourist

Banned
I'm waiting on a new knife...took three months.

Buzz, I'm having the same problem with some of the back-orders I'm holding for my clients.

You'd think in this economy the vendors would be tickled to get any business and ratchet up their customer service. That's not what I'm hearing.

The usual excuse is, "Well, guy, Japan is a long way away..."

And that's bull. I once got an 'over-nighter' directly from Japan. One side of the mailer was covered in yen stamps--probably worth more than the knife.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Buzz, I'm having the same problem with some of the back-orders I'm holding for my clients.

You'd think in this economy the vendors would be tickled to get any business and ratchet up their customer service. That's not what I'm hearing.

The usual excuse is, "Well, guy, Japan is a long way away..."

And that's bull. I once got an 'over-nighter' directly from Japan. One side of the mailer was covered in yen stamps--probably worth more than the knife.

Chico, I think the delay on my knife is due to production schedules. Sakai Takayuki has a large product line and probably only makes a few types at a time. Look here. The importer I use is a small company in NYC and they don't buy in large quantities so I assume their orders aren't a priority.

eTailers like JCK carry a large inventory and get product out the door fast. Furthermore they only charge $7 shipping per order. I've received knives from them in Japan to me in Florida in as little as five days.

I think my knife will prove worth the waiting. I already have two 150mm Petties of the same model, one a gift for my daughter. They are only half as thick as my smaller 140mm Aritsugu "A" Petty. If this geometry applies to the Gyuto it should cut like a Suisin or a Takeda. In addition, the blade is Swedish stainless Uddeholm AEB-L razor blade strip steel containing the smallest carbides in the industry. My Petty is sharpened left handed on one side only and is literally sharper than a razor. Not only that, the hardness is only R58 so there is little tendancy to chip nor does it roll, the best of all worlds in my opinion. If the Gyuto turns out to be what I think it is you'll be hearing lots more about it because it might just possibly be the world's best Chef's knife. :a1: The only drawback I can see is that edge retention won't be up to typical Japanese standards because of the low relative hardness. That doesn't mean squat to me because I don't use the knife all day like a pro and I love to sharpen. I'm a regular Alfred E. Neuman - "What! Me worry?" :yum:

My petty on a strop.

TakayukiPettyStrop.jpg

The Tourist

Banned
delay on my knife is due to production schedules...I've received knives from them in Japan...in as little as five days.

Yeah, that's the very thing that's driving me crazy. Added to that, I'm a smaller company and I don't have the "clout" of the bigger boys who get best column pricing. (My favorite customer service person just quit and went back to school.)

I request that orders are shipped incomplete. There's a reason. If you ask the distributor to hold the order until it's fully picked, once in a while an inhouse salesman "loots" your order to ship to another client. If my knives are there, I ask the inhouse guy to ship immediately.

That creates another problem. My clients get an incomplete order. Then I get calls.

I haven't lost a lot of business during the past six months, but it all hurts. And frankly, if a client is ticked off he might never order again.

Edit: Yesterday a client drove from Milwaukee to Madison to come to my home to pick up three knives. And another three are still in transit.

Love2"Q"

i really want a meat slicer ..
i have seen them for 30-40 bucks but they look
and feel cheap .. so i am holding out for a bit ..

Locutus

I want a microwave oven that uses a 220 or 440 volt connection, and puts out 15,000+ watts ! :D

(But I'm not going to hold my breath until someone offers one! :tongue: )

joec

Gold Site Supporter
i really want a meat slicer ..
i have seen them for 30-40 bucks but they look
and feel cheap .. so i am holding out for a bit ..

I bought a Waring Pro for about $100 for it and love it. I got it at Bed, Bath & Beyond a couple of years ago. Easy to clean, easy to use with good safety features. To get a better one would cost 3 times as much. We use it for slicing our meats and cheeses which we buy in bulk.

Attachments

• Waring Pro slicer.jpg
    Waring Pro slicer.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 174

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
butler-bums.jpg

I want this too, though:biggrin:

Attachments

• chopper.jpg
    chopper.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It can do it 1/32" to 1/2" which is about the same as those in the meat markets. My wife had always wanted one so I sprang for it a couple of years ago now. I never had a need for it till I got it now we use it a couple of times a week.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I want a microwave oven that uses a 220 or 440 volt connection, and puts out 15,000+ watts ! :D

That will make the old meter spin out of its socket! most of those things are only 50% efficient or so so you would need to upgrade your service by 200 amps or so. Thats double the normal size for a residence.

You should stay with the 220 model too. Unless you are adjacent to a commercial area you will have a hard time getting the electric provider to get 440 to you.

I assume you already have a 220 three phase Hobart Mixer?

Jim

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I kept resisting buy one but my wife finally wore me down and now don't know what I resisted. I guess Resistance is Futile after all. ;)

gadzooks

Ummm...the army has what you want. Truck-mounted, along with its own generator. But you can't cook in it, you aim it at your lunch from up to about two hundred yards away.

lilylove

This may sound silly compared to all of yours but slowly but surely I'm putting together a full set of clear dishes for a table scape of sorts. I have a large salad bowl, 4 small salad/soup bowls 4 large square dinner plates, candy dishes, salt and pepper shakers ... I want to get more pieces to match.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
stuff like [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Luigi-Bormioli-Gallerie-Sauceboat-Ladle/dp/B000CMF30S/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_text_b"]this[/ame] T?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
This may sound silly compared to all of yours but slowly but surely I'm putting together a full set of clear dishes for a table scape of sorts. I have a large salad bowl, 4 small salad/soup bowls 4 large square dinner plates, candy dishes, salt and pepper shakers ... I want to get more pieces to match.

Not really silly at all. It drove me crazy that none of our dishes matched so this year I went out and bought a set of dishes, glass ware, some rice bowls to go with them and flatware. I didn't spend a lot but at least it goes together well.

Attachments

• MyDishes2.jpg
    MyDishes2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 121