Chef Anthony Bourdain Calls Paula Deen 'the Worst, Most Dangerous Person'

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Phiddlechick, It is not, nor was it ever my intent to upset you or anyone else. Just voicing my opinion. If this gentleman is an good chef and has a good personality, then he should be making his living on those attributes, not making obvious inflammatory remarks about his fellow professionals. He should be professional enough to stand on his merits and not trash people.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I do enjoy him and I don't find it necessary to defend his boorishness, which is evident and sometimes annoying. Like many other celebrities, he has found something that works for him - that sets him apart from others, and he uses it. I have a friend who met him at a book signing...she stepped outside for a cigarette and found him there in the smoking section, as well. He was modest and utterly charming. His public persona is what sells books, personal appearances, etc.

Beautifully stated, Karen!

(Plus, I agree!) :wink:

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Lee...and thanks for the video, Sass. Gotta love a guy who can get along with Ted Nugent.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Paula's rebuttal (lol, somebody peed in his cereal):
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XND9rSGzqzM[/ame]

Norm

More on what Paula Deen said, this time to Matt Lauer

http://bites.today.com/_news/2011/08/19/7416312-food-feud-paula-deen-to-bourdain-get-a-life

An excerpt
"Anthony Bourdain needs to get a life," Deen told the New York Post's Page Six. "You don't have to like my food, or Rachael's, Sandra's and Guy's. But it's another thing to attack our character."
..." she said. "I have no idea what Anthony has done to contribute besides being irritable." She also accused him of elitism: "Not everybody can afford to pay $58 for prime rib or $650 for a bottle of wine. My friends and I cook for regular families who worry about feeding their kids and paying the bills."

Phiddlechik

I really think this was blown up by the media. Bourdain was asked about TV Food chefs, and he gave his acerbic opinion.
Big deal. It's all about publicity. For all of them. You don't think her ratings have gone up? I've heard worse here.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
And they TAUGHT you something.
Yep.
I took Home Economics classes in HS and had a nun who loved Julia Child. She recommended that we young ladies watch her shows, and I did.
I think her PBS show was on around 6pm in those days.. all the other girls were out doing goofy things, I was holed up in the bedroom watching Julia.
Same with Justin Wilson.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
YUP Sass. I watched all those you named plus Julia, Jacques, Madeleine, Martin, Justin, Graham, The Frug, David Rosengarten, Natalie Duprie (sp) she never took her HUGE rings off even when kneading biscuit dough plus others I can't rememer. LOL

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
More on what Paula Deen said,
She also accused him of elitism: "Not everybody can afford to pay $58 for prime rib or $650 for a bottle of wine. My friends and I cook for regular families who worry about feeding their kids and paying the bills."

Paula Deen is rolling in $$$ from her television shows, books, etc....
I know she prepares meals that appeal to the common man, but she's hardly one to take on anybody when it comes down to what is PC within the world of today's popular television chefs.

The whole thing is silly.
Bourdain is his own man, she is her own Lady.
Quite frankly, I do like them both.

Carolina Cooking

YUP Sass. I watched all those you named plus Julia, Jacques, Madeleine, Martin, Justin, Graham, The Frug, David Rosengarten, Natalie Duprie (sp) she never took her HUGE rings off even when kneading biscuit dough plus others I can't rememer. LOL

Natalie Dupree lives in Charleston now. Has for a while now. Its in the news she will run for the SC Senate. :thumb: She has a column in the newspaper plus you can see her all over town doing class's.

I watched all of the above mentioned plus Martha when she was nice lol she even had long hair. I always liked Sara Melton.

You can watch all of them or most on You Tube. I have a bunch of Julia tapes but they are on VHS. Her show on PBS is just her standing there watching her guest cook.

It seems to me when they hit the screen & become a hit, they get to big for thier britches. When Paula first hit the Tv she was so much fun, with that Door Knock Dinner. Now she seems so phoney to me with all her Ya''lls.

I said :wave:see ya to FN a while ago.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Natalie Dupree lives in Charleston now. Has for a while now. Its in the news she will run for the SC Senate. :thumb: She has a column in the newspaper plus you can see her all over town doing class's.

I watched all of the above mentioned plus Martha when she was nice lol she even had long hair. I always liked Sara Melton.

You can watch all of them or most on You Tube. I have a bunch of Julia tapes but they are on VHS. Her show on PBS is just her standing there watching her guest cook.

It seems to me when they hit the screen & become a hit, they get to big for thier britches. When Paula first hit the Tv she was so much fun, with that Door Knock Dinner. Now she seems so phoney to me with all her Ya''lls.

I said :wave:see ya to FN a while ago.

I liked Sara also.

When FN fgirst hit the air and their only sponser was Chef Boyardi (I went crazy for awhile those were the ONLY commercials LOL). I liked Chef Du Jour which had a different chef each day.

PSSSSSSSSSSSST Martha is from Nutley, NJ. One of my bosses knew her and her daughter and they were NEVER nice in real life. LOL

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I used to like them both but Bourdain is getting boring and Paula needs to go back and cook recipes like she did before she got over-the-top famous. She's sharing recipes now that you can tell she doesn't cook at home. That's disappointing to me :(

joec

Gold Site Supporter
.. and Yan Can Cook!
:D

Martin Yan and Jeff Smith where my favorites on PBS for years. To this day my knife of choice is the Chinese style cleaver which by the way isn't a meat cleaver at all. The Chinese cleaver is very thin bladed for cutting meats and vegetables thinly and not for cutting much harder than vegetable skins.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I liked Jeff Smith too Joe.
After all that controversy even.
Used to have one of his cook books, but I think it got lost after I divorced hub number 1 lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I liked Jeff Smith too Joe.
After all that controversy even.
Used to have one of his cook books, but I think it got lost after I divorced hub number 1 lol

I liked him as a show same with Martin Yan since I don't know any of these people personally. I liked Smith because he covered the basics of cooking really and not just recipes. Martin was the same principle for Asian cooking. Both shows I found very educational. Others I found kind of a single recipe oriented which I've never cared for especially chicken dishes which seems to be 80% now.

As for books I had probably 4 by Smith and 3 by Yan all lost in Andrew I'm sorry to say.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I liked him as a show same with Martin Yan since I don't know any of these people personally. I liked Smith because he covered the basics of cooking really and not just recipes. Martin was the same principle for Asian cooking. Both shows I found very educational. Others I found kind of a single recipe oriented which I've never cared for especially chicken dishes which seems to be 80% now.

As for books I had probably 4 by Smith and 3 by Yan all lost in Andrew I'm sorry to say.
Jeff Smith gave a thorough background at the beginning of his shows, talking about the theme of the cooking for that day.
That's what I loved, same as his books.
Sorry you lost your books.

Sample of Jeff;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uf11aqbxsY[/ame]

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Martin Yan and Jeff Smith where my favorites on PBS for years. To this day my knife of choice is the Chinese style cleaver which by the way isn't a meat cleaver at all. The Chinese cleaver is very thin bladed for cutting meats and vegetables thinly and not for cutting much harder than vegetable skins.

Martin Yan is the knife king! lol :a1:

A bit off-topic, but since she was mentioned here - for all you Sara Moulton fans (of I which I'm one) her NEW season on PBS starts this Saturday (Oct. 1) @ 1 p.m. At least that's the day/time here where I am in VA. Here's a link to her website where you can find where/when her new show season starts near you:
http://saramoulton.com/