First Lady to Appear on Iron Chef America.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
If anyone notices the vid online anywhere, I would appreciate it if you could post the link. As I said in another thread Cablevision has dropped food Network and HGTV. They do not expect them back.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
If anyone notices the vid online anywhere, I would appreciate it if you could post the link. As I said in another thread Cablevision has dropped food Network and HGTV. They do not expect them back.
Andy, I sent you some links where I am sure you can view the show tonight, live online.
Not sure, but check them out.

Charlie, you might be able to watch it on hulu.com.
http://www.hulu.com/

Mar-i-o! Mar-i-o! Mar-i-o! (Guess who I'm routing for!) He's my fave. Besides, how can you not love a guy who cooks in *orange socks & orange clogs. j/k (Luv ya, Mario :kiss:)

From the L.A. Times:
"This time around, the "secret" ingredient is hardly a secret. It's anything that can be plucked from the White House garden. And First Lady Michelle Obama will be on hand to issue the challenge: Come up with five dishes that show off the bounty of the nation's most famous garden and reflect the ultimate American meal.

Comerford will pair with up with Bobby Flay, and the two will go up against celebu-chefs Mario Batali and Emeril Lagasse. Judges include chef Nigella Lawson, Olympic swimmer Natalie Coughlin and actress Jane Seymour."

*Here's a pic:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-iron-chef1-2010jan01,0,7618368.story?track=rss

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My money is on Batali and Lagasse regardless. Both of them are excellent chef's and either could beat Flay easily.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I"m with you joec! :clap:

I'm hoping that either Emeril or Batali are on Top Chef's Masters this year. I think either could win it really as I've eaten meals from both of their places, both being top notch.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Waste line, or waist line?
Sherm, be nice to Wart. He's a lefty and they studder and misspell when they get excited. He will be hanging on every word of a lawyer speaking about nutrition. I think I'll trim my toenails and clean out my sock drawer. IMHO, here is no place for politics in food, and that's what this show is all about, regardless of how much nutritional information is given.

Unlike the opinion of my esteemed colleague, JoeC, Comerford/Flay will come out on top. The chubby guys will make a good show, but this is not about the best chef.

I digress.

I have to admit that I've never been a big "Iron Chef" fan - regardless of the original or the american versions. First off - I've never ever believed (nor do I think anyone else has) that the "secret ingredient" is ever really "secret". I mean really. Think about it. Media at its best.

So, the "First Lady" appearing here isn't really a big surprise. Geez - they've been flouting her photo on every ad for the show. What a surprise - lol!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sherm, be nice to Wart. He's a lefty and they studder and misspell when they get excited. He will be hanging on every word of a lawyer speaking about nutrition. I think I'll trim my toenails and clean out my sock drawer. IMHO, here is no place for politics in food, and that's what this show is all about, regardless of how much nutritional information is given.

Unlike the opinion of my esteemed colleague, JoeC, Comerford/Flay will come out on top. The chubby guys will make a good show, but this is not about the best chef.

I digress.

I'm a lefty as well. :tongue:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The secret ingredient is anything from the White House garden???

Yep! Similar to Iron Chef America’s "Battle Farmers Market", Season 5, Episode3: Cora vs. Guarnaschelli. Original Air Date - August 12, 2007. They used anything and everything that was available at the local Farmers Market.

Also very similar to our “dish” challenges where there is no one ingredient, but instead, a myriad of ingredients shall be used to bring the plates together.

Very interesting. No set path, and so open to interpretation. Surely to bring forth each competitor’s strong suit.

For sure we’ll be seeing peppers from Flay!! :yum::yum::yum:

K

Kimchee

This is more about promoting healthy food and eating, it sounds like....
Not only did they get anything from the garden... which apparently has
EVERYTHING from tomatillos to fennel.. they also got just about every
protein that could be "locally" sourced.
And only 1 judge can even claim to be a food industry person.

BUT.. still a fun show, and the point is excellent!
(I say Flay and WH chef will win).

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Yep! Similar to Iron Chef America’s "Battle Farmers Market", Season 5, Episode3: Cora vs. Guarnaschelli. Original Air Date - August 12, 2007. They used anything and everything that was available at the local Farmers Market.

Also very similar to our “dish” challenges where there is no one ingredient, but instead, a myriad of ingredients shall be used to bring the plates together.

Very interesting. No set path, and so open to interpretation. Surely to bring forth each competitor’s strong suit.

For sure we’ll be seeing peppers from Flay!! :yum::yum::yum:
:yum:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Got to love a fat chef in shorts regardless of the weather and a pair of orange crocs. LOL

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ah just adds drama to a cooking show if everything turns out to their specs. Oh and their failures are our successes in some cases.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ah just adds drama to a cooking show if everything turns out to their specs. Oh and their failures are our successes in some cases.
This is just a ratings thing for FN.
In the end, they'll all be winners, everyone will be happy and the White House garden shall go down in history for it's fabulous vegs.
Kudos to the First Lady for her involvement anyway.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I never realized how tall she is till I saw her standing beside Alton Brown. Man that is a tall woman.

homecook

This is more about promoting healthy food and eating, it sounds like....
Not only did they get anything from the garden... which apparently has
EVERYTHING from tomatillos to fennel.. they also got just about every
protein that could be "locally" sourced.
And only 1 judge can even claim to be a food industry person.

BUT.. still a fun show, and the point is excellent!
(I say Flay and WH chef will win).

I agree with that! Every other week they have someone that at least knows something about food. Why change it now??

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Okay...I tuned in about 8:30...just in time to watch Batalli take a spoon and give Emeril a taste of ...I guess it was the fennel sauce...only to take the same spoon and dip it back into the sauce and taste it himself and then take the same spoon and stir the sauce with it...:puke1:It's scary to think that they would do that on national television with everyone watching...what will they do in their restaurants behind closed doors.....:shock:

Deelady

Okay...I tuned in about 8:30...just in time to watch Batalli take a spoon and give Emeril a taste of ...I guess it was the fennel sauce...only to take the same spoon and dip it back into the sauce and taste it himself and then take the same spoon and stir the sauce with it...:puke1:It's scary to think that they would do that on national television with everyone watching...what will they do in their restaurants behind closed doors.....:shock:

Wow and I've seen judges on Chopped rip into a contestant for doing just that saying how unprofessional it was! tsk tsk

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Told ya so. The chubby guys threw it. I have watched both of these chefs hundreds of times, and the mistakes were amateur. This was a predetermined outcome.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well I guess JoeV was correct as the fat boy lost on plating and originality but a tie on taste.

GotGarlic

I thought the First Lady would be judging with them :( I would have like to see that.

That would have been a bit of a conflict of interest, I think, since the White House chef was among the contestants.

It's pretty well known that, in general, the chefs for a battle receive a list of five possible secret ingredients a month or so before the show is taped; they make their menus and then find out what the ingredient actually will be right before they have to cook. So they have a head start but they still have to execute everything well and on time.