paula deen

PanchoHambre

Besides that I don't find her to be the cleanest cooking wise, I would never dip a tasting spoon back into the same pot without washing it. :sick:

LOL you have a point... at the very least I would not let anybody film me doing it!:glare:

I like the southern food shows because it is so very different from the food I am used to.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I guess if one has a family history of heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes, one doesn't grow up eating a diet with all the fat, sugar and salt. My mom lightened all her traditional Hungarian recipes and just about everything else she made except for dessert. It became a necessity.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You know it is funny but I had a great grandmother that had high blood pressure and a diabetic from about 13 years old on. She pretty much ate what she wanted including the fat the rest of us would cut off a pork chop and blast us for leaving the best part. She did 2 shots a day and lived to 105 years old, however the diabetes disappeared when she turned 100, go figure.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I agree Keltin! It's a common misconception though, that all southern food is bad for you. There are plenty of southern recipes like okra and tomatoes, a low country boil, blackened catfish, collards and rice and many more that are very "healthy". The ones that are high in fat and salt can be adjusted sometimes without giving up much of flavor.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You know it is funny but I had a great grandmother that had high blood pressure and a diabetic from about 13 years old on. She pretty much ate what she wanted including the fat the rest of us would cut off a pork chop and blast us for leaving the best part. She did 2 shots a day and lived to 105 years old, however the diabetes disappeared when she turned 100, go figure.

I've known lots of folks down here who eat biscuits and gravy every morning along with there eggs, bacon and homefries who are healthy as a horse and way up into their 80's and 90's. It just depends upon the person and the amount and kind of exercise you get.

If you have worked on a farm everyday, all your life, you need some stick to your ribs kind of food to get you through the day! :wink:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I agree Keltin! It's a common misconception though, that all southern food is bad for you. There are plenty of southern recipes like okra and tomatoes, a low country boil, blackened catfish, collards and rice and many more that are very "healthy". The ones that are high in fat and salt can be adjusted sometimes without giving up much of flavor.

100% agreed! Great post....and you just made me hungry!!! :yum:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Sattie, I believe that she accentuates the accent on purpose. I have seen her live and she is a very bawdy woman. It is hard to believe her life story knowing how she behaves now. She has a potty mouth and loves to be vulgar. I was very much surprised. I love her love of tradition and family but not her recipes so much.

I don't mind the butter or the cream. I just don't care for all that mayo from a jar and all the casseroles. I never grew up eating them. I also find her dessert recipes very toothsome. (way too sweet).

I agree PS - her earlier shows were fun to watch but now....I can't stand to watch her new shows, especially "Paula's Party". It seems so pointless when she steals everyone's thunder and acts like an idiot. I'm embarrased for her guests. I've tried a couple of her recipes and they were so-so...maybe I tried the wrong ones...??? :bonk:

I would like to speak along these lines. My Mother's only brother was married to one of the greatest cooks in the world. She knew it and she was very proud of it. Every day was like Sunday at their house, and Sundays were like Thanksgiving.

It was nothing for there to be 3 meats, several vegetables and as many casseroles, along with homemade rolls dripping with real butter, and tall layer cakes and a couple of rich pies.

One Sunday about an hour and a half after coming home from church and having the typical feast my uncle said he didnt feel well, got up and walked across the floor and fell down dead with a heart attack. He was 51 .... a couple of years younger than I am now !!!

Mother, on the other had, although she was a great cook, too, was always concerned with eating healthy. We ate just as well as my aunt and uncle. We had the same meats, just not fried, the rolls, but without the butter, the casseroles, but with about 1/3 of the butter.

Mother cooled broths and skimmed off the fat. We ate more of the fresh fruits and vegetables, which was easy as we raised them ourselves. The pies and cakes were saved for Sunday or Holidays. We also ate somewhat less salt than most other people, which is a big issue with high blood pressure.

Mother passed away recently at 86. She was healthy as a horse until about 4 months before her death.

I continue to cook the same way, and I never draw attention to the fact that I am cooking lighter, and no one has ever had anything but praise. Most foods I half the fat right off the bat and see how that works. Sometimes I bring it down even more after I see how that works. Most times it is never missed. If the dish suffers greatly, then I just wont make that dish except for special occasions.

I eat healthy at home about 6 days a week, but I never take it to 1) Other People's Houses, 2) Restaurants, 3) Holidays and Celebrations. I figure if I eat healthy the rest of the time, my body can forgive me for those few occasions.

You can eat healthy, southern and deliciously with just a bit of change.

Tickle Me Elmo

I have to take Paula in small doses and turn a deaf ear to some of her shenanigans. The real issue I have with her is when she is handling food/dough, etc. with all that jewelry on. It's not the most sanitary thing to do. But I guess bling is important to ladies of all ages.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I have to take Paula in small doses and turn a deaf ear to some of her shenanigans. The real issue I have with her is when she is handling food/dough, etc. with all that jewelry on. It's not the most sanitary thing to do. But I guess bling is important to ladies of all ages.

Amen to that! I was thinking of that the other day when I saw her making biscuits with tons of diamonds on her hands and wrists. I never wear jewelry in the kitchen, it's too dangerous! :dizzy:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Yea, she really needs to take the bling off, LOL.
But still, I love Southern Cooking to death and will still take her over that eye candy Giada any day... blech... I really do wish FN would go back to carrying more people that knew what they were doing and were interested in teaching it than these eye candy peices possing all over the place.. jeesh...

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
But still, I love Southern Cooking to death and will still take her over that eye candy Giada any day... blech... I really do wish FN would go back to carrying more people that knew what they were doing and were interested in teaching it than these eye candy peices possing all over the place.. jeesh...

You've got a very good point there Mav! :agree:

Speaking of knowing what you are doing .... I still miss Miss Julia .... I loved that old girl !!!

I'll always remember one time she was making some sort of beef stew and she said to put two bay leaves in, and then she said, "Now you have to be careful with the Bay Leaves as you can easily get more than you need." And then she said, "In fact, I think I'll take one of these back out." and she plucked it out. I never knew if that was a spontaneous decision or if it was calculated to impress that lesson upon you, but either way it worked, I never forgot it.

Also remember her French Bread, she said all a true French Bread was supposed to have was water, flour, salt and yeast, anything more and it wasnt a true French Bread. You couldnt help but love her and know exactly what she meant.

Those shows where she had another guest cook were also great .... she was so gracious and pretended to be learning along with the audience, too, whether or not that was true.

leolady

Unless, Julia was cooking with Jacques Pepin! They had the most wonderful friendly rivalry!

Paula Deen is ok I guess. I don't watch her because I don't cook Southern! I cook classic Soul!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I shan't post the link because it is so unfair to the lady but she was at the Florida South Beach Food and Wine event and lost her baggy pants and seriously mooned everybody. I would be embarassed to tears but she handled it with great aplomb.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Unless, Julia was cooking with Jacques Pepin! They had the most wonderful friendly rivalry!

Paula Deen is ok I guess. I don't watch her because I don't cook Southern! I cook classic Soul!

That would be cool to see! But, uh, just how much different is classic Southern from classic Soul? I always thought they shared a great deal in common?

Tickle Me Elmo

Yep, Julia was a gem and an American treasure. There's nothing like reading all the tomes about her and have many on my bookshelf. Would love to have spent some time with her and Paul.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Whoops - We got off topic here and some feelings have run high, not only some of the posters, but, many of the readers as well.

The thread has been copied intact and significant content has been removed from the public thread.

In the course of the thread, it was suggested that a thread on regional american food would be interesting. I have moved that content to a thread of that neme in ethnic foods.

My actions are not intended to offend anyone and I am sorry if anyone feels that they do. My actions are subject to review my myself, my fellow mods and Doc. If anyone feels that I have acted in error PLEASE PM either myself, one of the other mods or Doc.

Thank You for your understanding.

Andy C

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Andy, I don't think that anyone who has posted their personal opinion about a kind of cuisine or a person/chef who is famous for making it should be taken personally by anyone who likes that cuisine or cook/chef. We all have our personal likes and dislikes. I know that I have not intended to upset anyone when I expressed my opinion about Southern cuisine. It makes things more interesting when one knows peoples' likes and dislikes. If I were to bake for someone, I wouldn't make my favorite dessert, I would try to ascertain their favorite dessert and if they didn't like dessert or I might make a bread. I can bake just about anything and the fun for me is the process and pleasing those who I bake for.
Part of being a good host or hostess is not just sharing one's food heritage but considering what your guest would like. I have a sister-in-law who is a vegetarian and when I have had her over for dinner, I have always made special dishes specifically for her and to meet her dietary needs. To have her eat around a meal would not make her feel as welcome in my house.

pugger

I really liked Two Fat Ladies, but one of them died - ending that. It was somewhat hard to understand them, but I enjoyed the shows. And they cooked with Lard !!

Constance

Let me say one thing in Paula Deen's defense.

She is not faking it. She talks just like my great-aunt Ruth, who grew up in Hopkinsville, Ky, and then later lived the rest of her life in Madisonville, Ky.

When I was a little girl, I remember Aunt Ruth saying that she was going to carry us out to her Daddy's farm, and I had no idea what she was talking about. How many of you have heard that term?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well living here in Kentucky and I've had a lot of people tell me I no accent at all I attest to the thick southern accents many here do have. I also found many in other southern states are heavy. The same with parts of Louisiana only not southern but creole accents. My wife picks up accents like a parrot, she hears it a couple of times and just falls into it.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
When I was a little girl, I remember Aunt Ruth saying that she was going to carry us out to her Daddy's farm, and I had no idea what she was talking about. How many of you have heard that term?
Yep, my grandparents and all the other relatives in Louisiana used that term. I've also heard it here in Texas, although mostly older people using it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Well living here in Kentucky and I've had a lot of people tell me I no accent at all I attest to the thick southern accents many here do have. I also found many in other southern states are heavy. The same with parts of Louisiana only not southern but creole accents. My wife picks up accents like a parrot, she hears it a couple of times and just falls into it.

Agreed! I've got no suthahn drawl, but I have met some that do. I always wonder how that happens. Hmmm...where's my hose pipe! :yum: