Our Busman's Holiday

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
On Friday morning me and DW are flying to Orlando to see our middle daughter's new condo, and to do the following before coming home Monday:

Dad,

Here's a list of what I (I think she really means me!:bonk:) want to do when you come down:

Paint living room, dining room, kitchen and maybe bathrooms
Install Ceiling Fans in both bedrooms and living room
Install Dining Room Light
Install dimmer switch for dining room light
Buy and install blinds for all windows
Install cabinet hardware in Kitchen and master bath
Put together bed and dresser from Ikea in master bedroom
Refinish wood chair to match new bedroom furniture

Here's a list of stuff I'd like to do but if it can't be done I don't care:

Change towel bars and toilet paper holders in half bath and master bath
Install more shelves in master closet and laundry closet
Install brighter light in master closet
Install new light fixture in master bath (money permitting)
Put UV film on back windows/sliding door

I'll probably think of more before you come down but I think this list is pretty complete in terms of the big stuff. I do have a drill and drill bits that you bought me for Christmas a few years ago. I also have basic tools like hammer, screw drivers, wire cutters, screws, nails, tape measure (12 ft), adjustable wrench and even some random clamps.

I just get all choked up when our kids share their dreams with us, and then invite us to be a part of making their dreams come true. It's so touching...:yum:

homecook

On Friday morning me and DW are flying to Orlando to see our middle daughter's new condo, and to do the following before coming home Monday:

Dad,

Here's a list of what I (I think she really means me!:bonk:) want to do when you come down:

Paint living room, dining room, kitchen and maybe bathrooms
Install Ceiling Fans in both bedrooms and living room
Install Dining Room Light
Install dimmer switch for dining room light
Buy and install blinds for all windows
Install cabinet hardware in Kitchen and master bath
Put together bed and dresser from Ikea in master bedroom
Refinish wood chair to match new bedroom furniture

Here's a list of stuff I'd like to do but if it can't be done I don't care:

Change towel bars and toilet paper holders in half bath and master bath
Install more shelves in master closet and laundry closet
Install brighter light in master closet
Install new light fixture in master bath (money permitting)
Put UV film on back windows/sliding door

I'll probably think of more before you come down but I think this list is pretty complete in terms of the big stuff. I do have a drill and drill bits that you bought me for Christmas a few years ago. I also have basic tools like hammer, screw drivers, wire cutters, screws, nails, tape measure (12 ft), adjustable wrench and even some random clamps.

I just get all choked up when our kids share their dreams with us, and then invite us to be a part of making their dreams come true. It's so touching...:yum:

Awww Dad, you know you love it!!! :mrgreen:

Have a good time!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

LOL! Your daughter is a very lucky woman, Joe! I adore my father, but he doesn't know one end of a hammer from the other.

Have ..... fun?

Safe trip!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
The trip was uneventful and landed a few minutes ahead of time. DD picked us up and informed us the free rental car deal crapped out, so she's our driver for the duration.

Installed 3 ceiling fans then went shopping for the paint and incidentals including new light for the master bath.

Trip to Lowes: $211.00
Look on DD's face when Dad paid for it: PRICELESS!

Stopped and picked up some Chinese for dinner then went to the old place to fix some stopped up drains. Carrots in disposal jammed up in the trap because a 1/4t measuring spoon found its way into the trap and stopped food from traveling through. Quick fix then off to the hotel for some much needed sleep at 10 p.m.. Went to check in only to find our room was no longer available. DW went into her customary meltdown ( I hate when she does that) and had to tell her to be quiet. I asked the clerk what he could do for us and he got us into a 2 week new Hilton Garden Inn down the road. Free room...2 free beers for me...2 free Cokes for DW...free transportation to the new property then back tomorrow morning... free breakfast buffet at the previous property ($24 value) for tomorrow morning. Rep points for the Hilton's Customer Service and problem solving ability. DW was amazed that it was resolved once she stopped ripping the guy and let him finish what he was trying to tell us.

So, here we are in a brand new property with a king size bed, HUGE bathroom. Free Wi-Fi and a flat screen tv with lots of cable channels. I'm half way through my second Miller Lite and a bunch of Snyders Cheddar Cheese pretzel pieces. Yummy.

Tomorrow will be a full day of painting, buying and installing blinds and installing new bathroom light fixture. Also have to put together Ikea bedroom furniture as well. Have to correct electrical wiring violation before installing the new light and repair drywall damage hidden under the old fixture. It's amazing what these builders try to get away with, but nothing really gets past my eyes after 30 years of this kind of work.

It's a weekend of eating carryout, but we're supposed to dine on Sunday night at Germany at Epcot. Rated the best buffet at Epcot, so I'm looking forward to eating there. DD is a part time cast member at Disney (full time job at Progressive Ins.), so she gets a big discount on the food and free admission.

Time for some shut eye. Catch y'all tomorrow night.