Lambs Liver -

Spicey

any good suggestions for recipes?
I like liver occasionally, and it's cheap, but the only way I know how to cook it to fry it and eat it with onions, and/or herbs like sage and rosemary.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Spicey! Sorry no suggestions from me, but I'm sure some of the other members will have an idea or two. Heck I've never even had lambs liver. Your post did make me want a Gyro though. :hide:
Welcome to Net Cooking Talk.
Enjoy and post often! :thumb: :D

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've never been a big fan of liver, but DW loves Chicken Livers.

Typically, we fry liver (Chicken or Beef). I've made Liver and Onions, but DW isn't a fan of onions as anything other than a minor player in a dish for flavor.

The only other way I've made liver and actually liked it is to cut the liver into 3/4 inch pieces and dredge in flower. In a skillet sauté some onion and bellpepper in a little oil until soft. Remove them from the pan. Add a little more oil to the pan, then brown the liver on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.

As the liver is browning, combine 1 can of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup water, and 1 tsp of Italian Seasoning. Mix well.

Once the liver is brown, add the onions and bellpepper back to the pan, then pour the tomato sauce mixture over everything. Stir a bit to mix it all up, and cook over medium-high heat for about 8-9 minutes. Remove from heat and make your plates. You don't want to let the liver cook too long or it will overcook and get chewy.

I like to serve this over rice (I'm a big fan of rice), but you could serve it plain, over noodles, or even slices of garlic bread.

Darkginger

Delia Smith has a good recipe for lamb's liver with a black pepper sauce - basically, it's the same sauce you'd serve with steak, but with liver instead.

My favourite way of eating lamb's liver is simply pan fried in a little butter, served with a couple of crispy bacon slices and a pile of mashed potatoes, with an onion gravy.