Meatloaf in outdoor DO

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I use a 10” campfire DO with legs. I place the DO on cinder blocks on my outdoor cook table. I place coals (Kingsford) under it and on the lid. Some say you should turn your DO during cooking, but I’ve found that is not a neccessity which makes cooking with an outdoor DO even easier. ;)

Dutch Oven Meatloaf

Ingredients:

Loaf
3.5 to 4 lbs ground beef
1 pack Onion Mushroom Soup mix
4 Tbsp Ketchup
2 Tbsp A1 Steak Sauce
1 egg, beaten
1 cup bread crumbs

Glaze
1/2 cup Ketchup
1 Tbsp A1 Steak Sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar

Dutch Oven: 10”
Coals: 24 = 10 on bottom, 14 on top
Cook Time: 2 hours

Preparation:
Mix the Glaze ingredients together in a small mixing bowl until the brown sugar has completely dissolved. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix all of the Loaf ingredients until well incorporated, and then shape into a free standing ROUND loaf. The loaf should be about 4 to 4.5 inches tall, and around 9 inches in diameter. It needs to be somewhat round to fit into the bottom of the DO. Next, place a trivet in the bottom of the DO. Place the meatloaf on the trivet and cover the DO. The meatloaf should not be touching the sides of the DO. If it is, reshape to decrease the diameter (thus making the meatloaf a bit taller).

When the coals are ready, place 10 under the DO in a circular pattern and 14 on top in a ring around the lid. Let this cook undisturbed for 1 hour. After 1 hour, replenish the coal supply and allow to cook another 30 minutes. At this time apply the glaze to the top of the meatloaf and allow it to cook for another 30 – 35 minutes. At that time, check the internal temp which should be 170+. Remove from heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Slice into 1/2 pieces and serve.

This is great with mashed potatoes and gravy and green peas. Left over meatloaf makes wonderful sandwiches!

Notes:
This meatloaf is cooked “dry”. That is, no liquid is added to the bottom of the DO. You are basically using the DO as an “oven” in this case. Obviously, there will be some drippings that fall to the bottom of the DO. The bottom heat will cause these dripping to char and become a stuck-on mess in the bottom of the DO. But don’t fret!

After cooking, add some water to the DO so that it is abut 1/4 or so full and then place the DO over some heat. Allow the water to come to a boil while you enjoy your meal. Once the water has boiled for a few minutes, use a plastic spatula or wooden spatula to easily scrape up the charred bits from the bottom. Boiling water in the DO makes this clean-up a very simple matter!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I made this tonight, so here are the pics.

Shape the loaf and place on a trivet in the DO.
Step1-1.jpg

Add your coals and cook for 2 hours.
Step2-1.jpg

After 2 hours, dust off the coals and bring inside.
Step3-1.jpg

This is what it looks like inside.
Step4-1.jpg

It’s done.
Step5-1.jpg

You can slice it long or in pie slices.
Step6.jpg

Plate it with your favorite sides
Step7.jpg

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
One of the best things about making a meatloaf are the leftovers. Fantastic sandwiches. Here is a panini style meatloaf sandwich with cheese and a simple dipping sauce made of mayo, ketchup, mustard, and a dash of BBQ sauce. Just add fries or chips, and dinner is done! :biggrin:

Note: Microwave the meatloaf for 1 minute to get it warm and pliable before grilling it. I used a George Foreman for this.

Sand1.jpg

Sand2.jpg

Sand3.jpg

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I'm gonna show up and strangle ya if you don't quit!!!! Just kidding, looks fantastic and I love the leftovers for sandwiches too!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks!

See, this is what I’m talking about. These DOs can do so much more. They really are “ovens”. You are not limited to just braising food. No sir. There is so much more to do!