Going to BBQ in Alabama tomorrow!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm flying to Huntsville, AL tomorrow to meet up with a BBQ friend of mine who lives in that state. I haven't cooked competively in a couple of years, and haven't seen my Southern friends for even longer. This will be fun!

Doug is a one-man team (the name of the team is Piggin' and Grinnin') who has several trailer-mounted cookers behind his RV (no tent and porta-potty this weekend!) I'll prepare his entry boxes, run them to the judges' tent, maybe cook the chicken entry, will do the dessert entry, listen to ear-shatterin music and .... party!

Wish us luck! http://www.rocketcitybbq.com/

Lee

P.S. No, BT, I will NOT have a "banjo on my knee" :smile:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That sounds like a ton of fun. I can't wait to see pictures :bounce::bounce:. Good Luck :lucky:.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That sounds like so much fun, Lee. An RV beats a motel any day, never mind a tent. I can't wait to see the pics, too. I've never been to a BBQ competition.

smoke king

Banned
That does sound like fun Lee-I've always wanted to take a stab at that, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Good luck and go get em'-we'll be pullin' for you!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Good Luck Lee! I've never been to a BBQ competition but I'll bet it's fun! Make sure you take plenty of pictures!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Have fun!!!!

BTW, doesn't Keltin live right near Huntsville? (Not trying to play Social Director.....just sayin')

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, that sure sounds like fun!!!!! We'll be thinking of you and wishing you guys all the best of luck. Hope you bring back the blue ribbon!!! :D

Please remember us and take pictures suitable for sharing. :thumb: :D

edit to add:
Sure wish I had an NCT Apron to give you to wear down there.
Anyone going to an event like this that is willing to wear an NCT apron ... if you give me enough notice I'll get one sent out to you to use for the event. Then you would have to pass it on to the next NCT member that will use it at an event. Pics would be required ...but it could be fun, don't ya think?

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sure wish I had an NCT Apron to give you to wear down there.
Anyone going to an event like this that is willing to wear an NCT apron ... if you give me enough notice I'll get one sent out to you to use for the event. Then you would have to pass it on to the next NCT member that will use it at an event. Pics would be required ...but it could be fun, don't ya think?

Oh MAN!! Doc, that would have been a wonderful idea!!! I'm so sorry I didn't think of it!

Yes, it would be excellent if we could wear an NCT apron if we attend any kind of food festival or event!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, everybody!! I've got my extra camera battery with me!

KELTIN, ARE YOU THERE??? If you see this and can come to the festival, please look me up!!

Look for the "Piggin' and Grinnin' " team.

Lee

lesley

Sounds a real hoot! Wish we had the weather here to do that, can't wait to see the photo's
smiley-laughing.gif

buckytom

Grill Master
oh qsis-ana, don't you cry for me...

have a beer or 7 for me, good luck in the competition, and return to us safely, lee.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Holy cow Qsis, you're coming to Huntsville. I live in Huntsville. The WhistleStop Festival is a big deal here. It's not huge, but everyone loves it. It's held downtown at the old train station. A rather historic landmark here. Really good cooks come for it, and they have a Shade Tree competition for the average joe.....always thought about entering that one.

I wasn't planning on going this year, but I'll try to get down there and look you up! Good luck!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, I'm here and my cooking partner has a laptop so I can check in!

I had TOO good a time when I arrived last night, so I'm taking it slow tonight.

Last night, one of my friends broke out his "cherry mash" and his "blackberry mash" and his "lime mash", all in mason jars, natch. I tried a sip of each - delicious, but lethal.

Everyone is cooking everything under the sun, and sharing it with everyone else. Tonight, one of my friends brought homemade pulled pork tamales - incredible!

The meats and garnishes are all prepped. We'll put the butts and briskets on tonight, and will cook the ribs, chicken and dessert tomorrow.

Keltin, if you can make it, I won't be able to spend any time chatting with you on Saturday, from about 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. That's when we prepare the entries and take them to the judges - it's a fairly tense time.

Will post photos when I get home.

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, it's a trip you are here! They are calling for storms tomorrow, but I'm hoping they hold off and ya'll can cook!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, the contest is over and we came in a disappointing 36th in a field of 72 teams. Damn judges don't have any tastebuds!

The rain has held off. No sign of Keltin yet.

Home tomorrow evening.

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hope you have fun Lee. (I'd guess you did)

Speaking of judges I think that would be a tough job. To clear the pallet and be able to taste each entry without a wee bit of the last one being left over seems impossible.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I've uploaded a bunch of photos to an album (click on my user name, then "view public profile", to see the album).

You have to click on a photo to enlarge it and to see the caption.

Here are a couple of sample pictures in the album.

Lee

Attachments

• Brisket samples.JPG
    Brisket samples.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Chicken presentation.JPG
    Chicken presentation.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Jello shots.JPG
    Jello shots.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 60