A New Contest?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We ought to have a new contest. It should last for 30 days. The idea is to generate more recipes for the site. More recipes means more hits when someone does a Google search. More hits means more members and more traffic.

We could have a special thread where each day a Mod/Admin, or chosen one would post a category such as “Chicken Breasts”.

Then, everyone that wants to participate in the contest would go to the appropriate sub-forum and post a recipe for chicken breast and then post back in the special forum their link to that new recipe. For example, say the challenge of the day was “Appetizers”, I could post a new recipe in appetizers and come back to the challenge thread and post.

Keltin – Appetizer Recipe up: http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564

Recipes should be NEW and not a link to something you have already posted like I just did in this example. I just did that to show how the info post would work.

The forums here run the gambit, and I’m not a baker, so I don’t see me posting in every category meaning I doubt I could win, but the idea is to tap all the creative resources we have here to boost the current recipe count. When someone Googles “Chicken wings” this site is more likely to get a hit if we have more recipes.

After 30 days, we count all the posts (might be a bear to do) and whoever posted the most recipes (you can post more than one for a given category - this allows us grillers to post more caveman recipes to make up for no baking skills :respect:) wins. This would be a cool challenge that really causes us all to dig deep and come up with the best of the best and the tried and true, it also beefs up this site and makes it a great resource which will be more visible in a Google search.

What do you think?

I’ll contribute money to the pot for a good prize (anyone…..Admin/Mod……got PayPal) or I’ll buy something cool and make it the prize to ship out to the winner.

Last edited:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'd would contribute to the pot, too! I think it's a great idea to increase traffic and google hits!

homecook

Does that mean I should stop posting recipes until we know if there's another contest?? lol

It's really a good idea Keltin.

Barb

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'd would contribute to the pot, too! I think it's a great idea to increase traffic and google hits!

Cool! I think it would also be a cool way to learn the members and where their strengths lie. You'll quickly see I can't bake!!! Me and flour rarely get along! :smile:

But some good ole country food or grilling (smoking), yeah, bring it! :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Does that mean I should stop posting recipes until we know if there's another contest?? lol

It's really a good idea Keltin.

Barb

No, no, no....but if the Mods go for this, keep your "secret weapons" for later! :smile:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great idea!!!!! Rep points for you Keltin. I love it. Give me a day or two and I'll try to figure out how to count the posts. Very interesting. This could work. And you are so right. The more recipes we post the better google will do at finding us. :thumb:

I have a paypal account for sure. :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Great idea!!!!! Rep points for you Keltin. I love it. Give me a day or two and I'll try to figure out how to count the posts. Very interesting. This could work. And you are so right. The more recipes we post the better google will do at finding us. :thumb:

I have a paypal account for sure. :thumb:

Fantastic! Let's do this! When it's setup, PM your PayPal info and I'll contribute!!! I can't wait to see this happen!:thumb:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Cool! I think it would also be a cool way to learn the members and where their strengths lie. You'll quickly see I can't bake!!! Me and flour rarely get along! :smile:

But some good ole country food or grilling (smoking), yeah, bring it! :thumb:
Oh shit - y'all really don't want me to post recipes. Really. Can I be a cheerleader or something???

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh shit - y'all really don't want me to post recipes. Really. Can I be a cheerleader or something???

Cheer away! But girl quit lying, you can cook! Tell you what, when Pork Ribs comes up, post that oven recipe that you used from my other post way back when. I think it was the first post that you used from the "other" place. And if I remember correctly, it worked well for you. Use it and spin it to your liking!! I look forward to seeing that recipe. You also posted some other really good looking dishes before (seafood I believe - which I love!), so don't lie, you can cook! Not to mention all your stir fry dishes that you've done, and I believe you can bake as well? If so, you could out lead me! :thumb:

Plus, everyone has a special steak recipe, and I know you can do that! This is gonna be cool!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
You know, it's true. You are the person who taught me to make ribs. And they are freakin' delicious!!! Is it any wonder I'm crazy about you?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Oh c'mon I'm sure you have a few up your sleeve???

Barb
No really, I don't. I mean, none that are mine. Honestly, I have learned everything I know from helpful souls I met at the other forum. Thankfully they are almost all here now so I can keep adding to my list of things I can make.

homecook

I use alot of recipes that aren't mine......once I make them I improve or change them to suit my families tastes. I don't have too many "original" recipes. I learn from everybody every day!

Barb

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You know, it's true. You are the person who taught me to make ribs. And they are freakin' delicious!!! Is it any wonder I'm crazy about you?

See, you OWN that recipe now! Post it when this gets going! Put your spin and love on it. It'll be great!

And you know, that was actually one of my first big posts (those ribs) over there, and I took a chance with it (food snobs - it was an oven recipe) only to have you love it, so you know I'm crazy about you as well!! :thumb: :kiss:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I use alot of recipes that aren't mine......once I make them I improve or change them to suit my families tastes. I don't have too many "original" recipes. I learn from everybody every day!

Barb

And that is exactly the point. Tried and true. Recipes we may have gotten elsewhere, but we adjust due to taste and make them stellar. I'd much rather have a tried and true recipe that works in the real world than ideas on paper! Show us what WORKS. Show us what YOU do! No matter the origins, what do YOU do to OWN that recipe? :wink:

chowhound

Very cool idea, Keltin.
Unfortunately my strength lies in following somebody else's recipe :lol:
But I'll contribute where I can.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm excited. Here is how I'm thinking this can work.

Every recipe posted during the contest will be worth one point. The recipes posted in the target forum of the day will be worth 2 points.

Each member will keep track of how many recipes they post in each catagory every day, and they will post the number in a certain thread that is only for keeping score. I will need mods and helpers to verify all numbers. With public posting of the numbers, the posts can be verified rather easily.

I'm hoping someone good with a srpeadsheet like excel will then create a spread sheet with these numbers and keep the running totals. I will ask that whoever does this shares the spreadsheet with myself and the mods so we have multiple sets of eyes on it. Any volunteers?

How does all that sound? Anyone have a better way to run it?

What will you win? I suggest the top 3 win a portion of the pot we collect for this effort.

Keltin has kindly offered to donate and I think others will jump in also. Please PM me if you intend on donating for the cause. All monies collected will be given out in the forum of a prize, if one is suggested or in a paypal payment. (if you don't already have a paypal account they are free and easy to set up.)

Thoughts and ideas please.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Excellent, sounds awesome. I can run the Excel sheet if you like. Also, we can use Google Docs to host the sheet, and then give permission for changes to the Mods and Admins so that multiple parties have eyes on it and can verify its contents. It takes a Google email account to do so, but that is free.

So when the contest is running, a regular recipe is 1 point, and a target recipe (category of the day) is 2 points? Great idea! This stands to be colossal!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You are the only one who has replied positive about it. I've run so many contests (though none like this one) where if the interest is not there, no one will bother. We need a prize folks want to win and no one has PM'd to donate to help in that area. I'll be asking for donations to help pay for the site and hate to put up my cash to pay for this ...so I need folks to say whether or not they would participate.
And some folks to donate cash for the express purpose of dividing it amoungst the top three recipe posters.
I'll see what kind of response I get by tomrrow night or monday morning and decide whether or not to proceed.
What do you say folks?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I’ve gotten some PMs and Karma about this, so there are some that like the idea. It would be really good for the site. Not to mention fun.

I’ll donate $30 to the pot. Actually $32 to cover the PayPal fees, it’s a start. Cash awards are nice, or you could even drop ship something cool from Amazon or Penzeys to the winners.

Well, I hope everyone rallies behind it, it would be cool. Maybe you should make a sticky somewhere on the front page so everyone see it?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I like the idea, but how bout just a simple The person with the most recipes posts each month wins a prize?
And I have PayPal Verified, so no problem contributing here either!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Suggestions:

Monthly Raffle: $3 gets you into the raffle. To get it started, some of us can donate things to be raffled off. This way we can generate interest in the raffles plus build up resources to continue it. For instance, I can offer up a Gevalia 2 cup coffee maker with matching silver mugs. Brew one mug at a time or two. Also a Hitachi bread machine in good shape, and a cable modem with wireless router. Maybe a couple other members can offer up stuff to get this going as well so we could have two or three items in each raffle.

Site membership: $30.00 for 6 months or $50 for a year. Site memberships gets you access to monthly contests at no charge. Also, a 6 month membership gets you a free gift, a 12 month membership gets you two free gifts. Maybe the gifts could be apparel with our logo on em. Maybe other perks you guys can think of?

Monthly contests: $5 gets you into the monthly contests. We run more than one contest but the $5 covers entry into all of them. Maybe three contests run per month winner to get some Penzy's price or a cookbook or something. For instance one contest each month for the most recipes posted. Another for the first person to reach 1000 posts, 2000 post, 3000 posts, etc. Also, for the most referrals in one month.

Referrals: For every 3 referrals you get a free entry into the monthly raffle. Or, save up to 30 referrals and get a free 6 month membership. save until you have 50 referrals and get a 12 month membership free.

Revenue creation: Anyone who brings a company to NCT to discuss ads, revenue sharing etc, and they are successfully signed up or a deal is worked out gets a free 12 month membership to the site.

Just some stuff to toss around.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i am broke but i could donate stuff...

free shipping of one of my bottles(jars) of hot sauce..lol

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Yea, I was thinking things like that would go over well, some jars of hot sauce, a box of goodies from Susan, things to get us up and running while building it up.