Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > Meats Forum > Pork Forum

Old 05-25-2011, 01:12 AM
Master Chef

Keltin is on a distinguished road
Default Herb Roasted Pork Rib Roast

On occasion, I can find a pork rib roast here at Publix, and it’s usually on sale. I always snatch them up when they appear as they are a bit rare here. These roasts are a real treat as you get two great pieces of pork in one: The Pork Loin and the “Baby Back” Ribs.

Some people say to French the ribs for presentation. I never do as that, IMHO, is a waste of great “Baby Back” rib meat.

Herb Roasted Pork Rib Roast

1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Thyme
1 Tbsp Rosemary
1 - 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 Tsp Cracked Black Pepper
1 Tsp Salt

Many times when you get one of these roasts, the butcher will have already cut or cracked the chine bone for you. The chine is the bit of spine where the ribs attach to it. If it is in tact, you will not be able to slice the roast into “chops” once it is done.

The chine should be cut between the ribs so that you can slice the chops off. Unfortunately, this one had its chine fully in tact. So, I had to get medieval on this roast.

I’ve got a “ginzu” type utility knife that I picked up at a Wal-Mart demo years ago. It is the perfect tool for the job for hacking these bones. I set to it, and made cuts through the chine so that I can slice the chops once it is done.

With that done, I mixed the rub together in a bowl, and then liberally coated the roast with it, making sure to get some in the cuts at the chine.

Then I placed it in a roaster and covered it to let it sit on the counter for 2 hours to come up to room temp and also “marinate” a bit in the rub.

Next, it went into a preheated 400 degree oven, uncovered, till it reached 140 degrees internally, about 1 hour.

I took it out, covered it again, and let is rest 10 minutes. Finally, it was time to slice between the bones and through the chine cuts and plate those glorious chops. I served it with Garlic and Oil noodles, Everglades Potatoes, and Garlic Bread Rollups.

TIP: For slicing into portions, it’s easiest to turn the roast over on the cutting board so the bones are facing up and you can easily see how your knife needs to travel.

Attached Images

Old 05-25-2011, 01:30 AM
Grill Master

mhend is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Herb Roasted Pork Rib Roast

I said it over in the dinner thread, but I'll say it again: that's just beautiful Keltin!

I am definately gonna be on the lookout for one of these on my next trip to Publix.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:20 AM
Master Chef

Thank you very much. If you don’t see one of these at Publix, and they are rare, ask the butcher if he can cut you one. They usually will if they have the primals available in the back.

To just find them in the meat counter…..I run up on them about once every 2-3 months. So, kind of rare. But again, the butchers at Publix are really nice and won’t mind cutting you one if they have the stock.

If you get them to cut you one, ask them to cut the chine bone in between the rib bones so that you can easily slice the chops off when it’s done.

One thing I didn’t take a pic of that makes this really easy is that I put an oven safe meat thermometer into the roast first, and then put it in the oven. Then, I just used a flashlight to check that thermometer every now and then and watched it climb.

Once it hit 140-143, I pulled it, removed the thermometer, and put the lid on the roaster. I then covered the roaster in a towel and let it rest about 15 minutes.

I have to admit, this meat was pretty incredible. Very tender, juicy, and loads of flavor.

Although…….I did joke with DW that it kind of looked like I rolled it in the yard when I first took it out of the roaster.

All that Rosemary just reminded me of grass clippings, but it sure tasted great and really added a lot to the meat.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:29 AM
Queen of Cornbread

Mama will become famous soon enoughMama will become famous soon enough
Style: Gonzo

That is a thing of beauty Keltin! Very nice and it looks so moist and tender.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

jim_slagle is on a distinguished road

Keltin, that looks GREAT!

I enjoy shopping at Publix but my only chance is when we are visiting relatives in Alabama. They aren't in Virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltin View Post
Although…….I did joke with DW that it kind of looked like I rolled it in the yard when I first took it out of the roaster.

All that Rosemary just reminded me of grass clippings, but it sure tasted great and really added a lot to the meat.
We ate out the other evening. When the salads came I told Beth that I just spent the day spraying the pastures and yard to get rid of stuff that looks just like what was in the bowl!

Jim

They should put more bacon in the package so there's enough for 2

I am in shape. Round is a shape.

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand!

I'm lost but making good time!

My Favorite Forums!
Forums Forums - Net Tractor Talk - Net Boat Talk - Net Music Talk -Net Car Stop
Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Master Chef

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_slagle View Post
We ate out the other evening. When the salads came I told Beth that I just spent the day spraying the pastures and yard to get rid of stuff that looks just like what was in the bowl!

Jim
Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Entree Cook

Carolina Cooking is on a distinguished road

I know that 'thing of beauty' is front & center but the sides caught my eye too.

Thats how much bread I should eat.

that looks like you got lots of chops for another day.

I shop publix so often the bag boys & staff know me by name . They should, I have been going in there a couple times a week for 7 years.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Restaurant Chef

lilbopeep will become famous soon enoughlilbopeep will become famous soon enough
Style: Gonzo

BEAUTIFUL!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Grill Master

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,600 Posts
QSis will become famous soon enough

A beautiful, perfectly done pork roast, K! One of my favorite cuts!

LOL about Keltin's sides, Carolina! I'm guessing he's not on Atkins. ;-)

Lee
Old 05-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
A beautiful, perfectly done pork roast, K! One of my favorite cuts!

LOL about Keltin's sides, Carolina! I'm guessing he's not on Atkins. ;-)

Lee
Hmmmm....I rarely think about pairing sides other than "Man, that would taste good". Looking back......I've got three carbs and no veggies!

Was good though!!

Old 05-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Grill Master

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,600 Posts
QSis will become famous soon enough

I'm just jealous, K!

You are lucky not to have to think about such things.

Lee