Site Supporter
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Enjoy your day.

Dinner pictures will be posted later .... if I can take any. LOL

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Peeps. Happy Thanksgiving to all. May you all have the perfect day filled with fun family and friends.

Johnny West

I did a free range turkey, locally grown, that was probably one of the best birds we ever had. there were lots of sides... then this happened - what I posted elsewhere...:

The granddaughter's other grandmother called to ask if she could bring pies for dessert - she brought four. She made two pumpkin pies herself, did not bake them long enough and the bottom crusts were raw, one crust she topped with cream cheese before putting in the pie filling. No one would touch that one. The other two pies were apple and cherry from Mrs. Smith which she took out, frozen, and put them in her own pie plates. She finally admitted they were mrs smith's. They were undercooked as well. The cherry wan't bad. She has brought her home made sticky buns before and they were always raw doughy inside.... she won't be allowed to bring pies anymore. I had a sugar pumpkin I was going to make a few pies from, too. Lesson learned...

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I hope everyone enjoyed their day. (So sorry Johnny about your bit of unpleasantness. But the bird was a big win!)

I didn't get pictures of the whole meal. I did manage to snap a few.

Appetizers

thanksgiving_2017_112317_1_P1100298.JPG

thanksgiving_2017_112317_2_P1100296.JPG

Marinated mushrooms in the center, Cream Cheese, Green Olive and Walnuts Poppers around center bowl, Triscuits on top and then clockwise pepperoni, Trader Joe's smoked cheese, Smoked gouda, Muenster, Cheddar, Sopressata.

thanksgiving_2017_112317_3_P1100294.JPG

Black olives and red seedless grapes

thanksgiving_2017_112317_4_P1100302.JPG

Turkey breast half, leg and wing.

thanksgiving_2017_112317_5_IMG_3459.JPG

Apple Pie

thanksgiving_2017_112317_6_IMG_3456.JPG

Pumpkin Pie

Sorry that's all the pictures I got.

Dinner was Roasted Turkey and small amounts of each of these sides (not much leftovers except turkey, gravy and stuffing for sandwiches and soup):
Stuffing
Mashed Sweet Potato & Acorn Squash
Carrots, broccoli, cauliflower
Brussels sprouts
Asparagus
Mashed red and Yukon potatoes
Creamed Pearl Onions
Homemade Turkey Gravy
Sautéed mushrooms
Homemade Cranberry/Tangerine Relish
Homemade Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
Jellied Cranberry sauce

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here is a pic from yesterday.

Attachments

• Thanksgiving2017.jpg
    Thanksgiving2017.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 95

Ironman

🍺
Gobble gobble. :readytoeat:

I only have one pic of the stuff I used to make a 2 day brine for my turkey. I'll be doing this every year now, and maybe more often.

Brine Recipe courtesy of my dear friend Kitchenelf. :wub:

..1-2 big containers of cheap apple juice
..1 1/2 to 2 or so cups of kosher salt
..2 cups brown sugar
... Large onion cut in wedges
...3 stalls celery cut in 2" pieces
..2 lemons, 2 limes, 2 oranges cut in 8ths
...3-4 sprigs fresh rosemary
...5 sprigs thyme
... 4 or so bay leaves
...1/4 cup black peppercorns
...6 or so smashed whole garlic cloves

Heat about 1/2 container of the apple juice to dissolve the salt and brown sugar. Once dissolved and heat is of you can start adding the rest of the apple juice and other ingredients.

Attachments

• IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 93

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Not too great a Thanksgiving meal....... Traveled to Mother's - She's 85, so all she makes are reservations... this year was a Buffet, and so no record was kept by me, as I am not a big fan of the steam table dinner...:blush:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
managed to find a 14 lb turkey this year and yesterday we had a real FIRST!

ate up _all_ the leftovers!
all gone.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, I've REALLY enjoyed seeing everyone's Thanksgiving photos and reading the stories!

My Thanksgivings are very small now - just me, my Dad and my friend/neighbor, Kathy. But we had a lovely day of working a jigsaw puzzle, cooking, watching old movies, and a good dinner, despite the fact that I overcooked the turkey.

I have never been a fan of brining poultry, but after my dry turkey this year, might consider it. Nah, I'll probably inject a butter marinade next year.

I took a picture of our table, since I love my stepmother's colorful linens and my grandmother's antique dishware.

Lee

Attachments

• Thanksgiving table 2017.jpg
    Thanksgiving table 2017.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 81

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful Lee. :clap: So tasteful. Looks like a pic that could be on a magazine cover. :thumb:

I'll mention another option for you ..... My wife does not care for brine either. She uses a roasting bag. It shortens cooking time and the turkey comes out moist.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My turkey came out nice. I only got a picture of half the bird because I wanted get dinner served (DD wanted to go out with a friend to do Xmas shopping). We earned a 24 lb. free turkey from supermarket. Hub came home with a 26 lb. bird. I cooked it on convection roast 350F covered for 2 hours, then uncovered for 1 more hour to brown up. It came out perfect. In only 3 hours.
I have never used one of the roasting bags. Can it hold up under convection roast? And can I cut it open towards the end to crisp skin?

Saliha

Nice you had nice holiday. Pics looked so yummy that now I feel sad we haven´t Thanksgiving here in my country.

:mellow:

Saliha

Kekri was old harvest festival for the farmers but people don´t celebrate it any more. It became later (about 200 years ago) as part of the All Saints day. Nowadays it´s only as the Christian Holiday for bringing candles to the graves and attending the service in the Church.