Egg shells

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Just a friendly reminder about that protective armour that an egg comes in....the shell.

It's filthy and crawling with germs. Please use care when you crack your eggs. Using one shell to catch the yolk as you separate it from the white isn't always the best way to do it. You'd be better served if you use your hand to catch the whole thing, and then let you fingers spread enough for the white part to slip out.

I was taught that the best way to get a shell out of a bowl of cracked eggs was to use a piece of shell. While it may be easire, it's the best way to add contaminants to your bowl. A bread crust works too. I realize not everyone has the obligatory crust of bread hanging around just in case you get a bit of shell in the bowl... :kiss:

The preceding was a public service announcement.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i crack my eggs into another bowl first then put into my recipe... egg shell pieces stay at bottom of bowl when i pour into my mixing bowl

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Just a friendly reminder about that protective armour that an egg comes in....the shell.

It's filthy and crawling with germs. Please use care when you crack your eggs. Using one shell to catch the yolk as you separate it from the white isn't always the best way to do it. You'd be better served if you use your hand to catch the whole thing, and then let you fingers spread enough for the white part to slip out.

I was taught that the best way to get a shell out of a bowl of cracked eggs was to use a piece of shell. While it may be easire, it's the best way to add contaminants to your bowl. A bread crust works too. I realize not everyone has the obligatory crust of bread hanging around just in case you get a bit of shell in the bowl... :kiss:

The preceding was a public service announcement.

I learned from pastry chefs to do that, too!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I have a little tool that separates the yolk from the whites if need be. It looks like a round spoon with wide slots on the bottom.
Fairly easy to use, too!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
yup me too just never use it..lol

373720.jpg

FryBoy

But the inside of the shell is clean and sterile -- and if it isn't you have bigger problems anyway -- so I don't see how using the shell to separate the white and yolk can cause any problem.

In any case, it's irrelevant if you adequately cook the egg or whatever you've put it in, which will kill any germs that may have been transferred from the outside of the shell.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
But the inside of the shell is clean and sterile -- and if it isn't you have bigger problems anyway -- so I don't see how using the shell to separate the white and yolk can cause any problem.

In any case, it's irrelevant if you adequately cook the egg or whatever you've put it in, which will kill any germs that may have been transferred from the outside of the shell.

Lots of recipes call for undercooked or coddled eggs....and for myself, I don't like hard cooked eggs as much as I like soft eggs.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I dislike hard boiled eggs and still use raw egg on occasion when baking. I just make sure that I don't feed those desserts to those with weakened immune systems, the elderly and small children. I haven't felt the need to go to pasteurized eggs although I have heated whites to temperature and used the new techniques. If I were baking on a grand scale, I could understand not using raw eggs but just for me and my few friends, as long as they are aware (and I always tell people), then I am not too worried about it.

FryBoy

I dislike hard boiled eggs and still use raw egg on occasion when baking. I just make sure that I don't feed those desserts to those with weakened immune systems, the elderly and small children. I haven't felt the need to go to pasteurized eggs although I have heated whites to temperature and used the new techniques. If I were baking on a grand scale, I could understand not using raw eggs but just for me and my few friends, as long as they are aware (and I always tell people), then I am not too worried about it.
I don't understand. If the item is baked, any bacteria that may have been in or on the egg will be killed. The only problem occurs from EATING the contaminated egg when it's raw, not from cooking with it.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
FryBoy, there are icings that use raw egg yolk and white, and there are mousses that use raw egg that are not cooked.

Look for my recipe for Chocolate Chantilly Torte and you will see a prime example.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Ya know, I used to love soft eggs and especially easy over so I could sop up the yolk with toast. But now, has to be cooked all the way or I get sick.
I still haven't been able to figure that out...

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I don't like hard boiled eggs at all but like sunny side up, soft balled and shirred. So far, so good and that says a lot with my stomach. However, I have never gotten sick from eggs used in mousse or icing either. However, I don't eat raw cookie batter anymore. Go figure.

FryBoy

FryBoy, there are icings that use raw egg yolk and white, and there are mousses that use raw egg that are not cooked.

Look for my recipe for Chocolate Chantilly Torte and you will see a prime example.
As I said, IF it's COOKED, there's no problem. Raw is something else, and I would suggest not eating it no matter how you manage to separate the whites from the oak.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
^That is your choice but most of the problems with eggs has to do with commercial use and not home cooking. Further, you have to be concerned how the eggs are stored and whether they are kept refrigerated.

AllenOK

A power drill (drillbit cleaned and sanitized), a large bowl, a whisk, large nonstick pan with some butter, and about 4 friends!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

i also make my caesar salad dressing and no i still dont cook my yolks.. am i taking a risk...of course...does it taste good? hell yah..lol

and if i dont separate my eggs in a bowl, i use my hands...perfect separaters...lol

FryBoy

^That is your choice but most of the problems with eggs has to do with commercial use and not home cooking. Further, you have to be concerned how the eggs are stored and whether they are kept refrigerated.
You're probably right -- but I've had food poisoning 3 times in my life (or is it 4?). I was violently ill each time. Consequently, I've learned not to take chances, and I especially don't expose my family to any such dangers. Better safe than sorry, IMHO, and eating raw eggs just ain't worth the risk, no matter how small that risk may be.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I just had to add, the reason I found this so funny is that my FIL actually did that once! They were cleaning egg and de-fuming sulfur smell for weeks after!!

When we got our first microwave way back when, the first thing I did was put a whole egg in it just because the instructions said NOT to. I had to see why.

BOOM! Man, what a mess. Mom had me on kitchen detail for a week! :yum:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
You're probably right -- but I've had food poisoning 3 times in my life (or is it 4?). I was violently ill each time. Consequently, I've learned not to take chances, and I especially don't expose my family to any such dangers. Better safe than sorry, IMHO, and eating raw eggs just ain't worth the risk, no matter how small that risk may be.

I understand. I have had food poisoning, too. Nick Malgieri reassured me that for the home cook that one really needn't worry about eggs if they were stored properly at the store and by you. However, I am careful not serve certain things to those with compromised immune systems, the very old and the very young. Last time I had food poisoning, I prayed to G-d to die, I was so sick. So, I really do understand.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
As I said, IF it's COOKED, there's no problem. Raw is something else, and I would suggest not eating it no matter how you manage to separate the whites from the oak.
Heat does not kill all pathogens.
It's better to know and understand what your're dealing with with regards to bacteria, viruses and toxins than simply saying 'cook everything to xxx temperature'.
Eggs from a reputable poulterer can safely be eaten raw by most people providing you use caution with the shell.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
i also make my caesar salad dressing and no i still dont cook my yolks.. am i taking a risk...of course...does it taste good? hell yah..lol

and if i dont separate my eggs in a bowl, i use my hands...perfect separaters...lol

I think we're related. I use raw egg in my salad dressing, too.