Cook's Country Roast Turkey with Salt Pork

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I finally got a chance to sit and load a few pictures.

I tried Cook's Country's turkey, "larded" with salt pork this year. Here's a link to the rationale behind the idea. http://www.cookscountry.com/pwlogin.asp?did=5204&area=recipe&iseason=

Place the turkey (I stuffed mine, they did not), on a rack in a foiled roasting pan. Prick the skin of the breast and tops of legs all over with a fork. Place strips of salt pork on top, then cover that with cheese cloth that's been soaked in 4 cups of cold water. Pour the remaining cold water in the roasting pan. Place a probe thermometer in the turkey breast. Cover the cheesecloth with foil.

Place the turkey on the bottom rack of a 325 oven and leave it alone until the breast temp hits 140 degrees. At that time, remove the foil, cheesecloth and salt pork (I saved it for baked beans), and kick the oven temp up to 425. Continue cooking until the breast hits 160-165.

My report: Well, it was nice and brown, without ever basting. It was tender and moist, but not any more tender or moist than any other roast turkey I've ever done, when I've just basted.

Two things I did not like: one was that the gravy was much lighter in color - cecause of the water in the bottom of the pan, I didn't get any nice brown bits or fond. And, two, my house didn't have the strong, wonderful aroma of roast turkey that it usually does - probably due to number one. That water in the bottom just messed me up!

So, I'll either go back to my regular method of roasting this April, when I make my Spring Thanksgiving dinner, or I'll do the salt pork or bacon thing, but without the water.

Lee

atkturkeyat140.jpg

Breast temp is 140. About to remove salt pork, cheesecloth and top foil.

atkturkeydone.jpg

Turkey is done - browned without basting.

chowhound

Interesting. A nice way to get out of basting and leave the oven door closed.
I wonder how it would be if you substituted chicken broth for the water.
Nice pics, Lee.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. A nice way to get out of basting and leave the oven door closed.
I wonder how it would be if you substituted chicken broth for the water.
Nice pics, Lee.

There's a thought. That should help change both the color and the flavor of the gravy.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good idea, guys - thanks!

But I really think the juices and fat have to hit the bottom of the pan for the whole turkey experience I know and love! :)

Lee

GotGarlic

I did a similar recipe from Cook's Illustrated, but I didn't do the salt pork. They suggested mixing salt and baking powder and rubbing that on the skin; the baking powder is supposed to help dry the skin, making it more crispy. I only basted it once, when we took it out to flip (we started it breast side down, then DH flipped it over after about 2.5 hours). It was great!

For the liquids, I think I put a cup of wine and a cup of water in the pan so the drippings wouldn't burn. They turned out really good - nice and dark brown.

So I think some liquid is needed, but not a quart.