1 cup whole grain brown rice
4 cups mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup milk
1 cup green onions, chopped
1 tsp. garlic minced (I used more)
1-1/4 cups chicken broth
2 oz. pimientos, drained and chopped
1 pkg. cheddar cheese sauce
1 cup spicy tomato sauce (I used roasted tomato sauce)
salt and pepper
Tabasco sauce

Combine rice, mushrooms, green onions, pimientos, garlic, salt and pepper in medium saucepan with chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.

Combine cheese sauce mix, milk and Tabasco in small saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until sauce thickens. Add to rice mixture, stir well.

Press into oiled 9x5 loaf pan. Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Turn upside down and remove from pan.

Slice and serve on top of the tomato sauce.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 166
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 168

homecook

No I just foiled the pan instead of oiling it. I figured it'd be easier to get it out of the pan. LOL

homecook

Thanks chow! Yep, serve with a salad and your good to go. lol

I should have taken a pic before I sliced it so you could see what it looked like. Basically like a meatloaf.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Great idea! That looks tasty and different. :thumb: I need to get some new ideas flowing for dinner. I've been in a rut lately.

homecook

Thanks Cooksie. It was a nice change for me. I know what you mean about being in a rut, I get like that frequently. lol

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Barb - Yer killib me. The drooling old man outside your kitchen window will be me beggin for leftovers.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Love the concept, Barb!

Was the rice cooked enough? Only simmering 10 minutes, then a quick 15 in the oven?

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Looks great! How did you get those nice rectangles for serving? Just cut it out of the baking dish?