More bad airline incident reporting - jeesh

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
An AA jet (Laguardia to O'hare) lost an engine after takeoff and diverted to Kennedy.

AP reports:

"The crew reported a loud noise just after takeoff, which Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Jim Peters said indicated the engine on the right wing of the McDonnell Douglas 80 had failed."

"The bulk of the engine remained attached to the plane's wing, Peters said."

The MD 80 has its two engines located on the empanage (tail section), not the wings. This info reported to AP by an FAA official? Must be the official mascot monkey or something.

It could have been a B737 with engines hanging from the wings but Fox News is also reporting MD80.

I can't stand the press. Wine presses are the obvious exception.

Don't believe what you hear.

Calicolady

Jeez, Buzz, why is this happening so frequently?

I recently was watching a story on the July 2000, Flight 4590, Concord crash.
It seems 2 factors were involved, that were innocent enough, but cost 150+ lives.
Lots of international politicing afterwards too. Surprise, surprise.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Buzz, I know nothing about aircraft, but of course, I fly in them when I need to. I was really surprised to learn that "bird attacks" are relatively common. At least, that's what was reported in the news. Is that another case of bad reporting, or is that really a serious issue?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Buzz, I know nothing about aircraft, but of course, I fly in them when I need to. I was really surprised to learn that "bird attacks" are relatively common. At least, that's what was reported in the news. Is that another case of bad reporting, or is that really a serious issue?

It depends. A bird larger than 2-3 pounds is bad news in the engine and larger birds like buzzards have broken a lot of wind screens, sorry, windows. I've hit 20 or 30 birds in all and the worst damage I suffered was a hole in the nose radome. The radome conceals the weather radar and is a very thin material for easy passage of the radar beams. The hole didn't matter much even though it was basketball sized because this is an unpressurized area.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
It depends. A bird larger than 2-3 pounds is bad news in the engine and larger birds like buzzards have broken a lot of wind screens, sorry, windows. I've hit 20 or 30 birds in all and the worst damage I suffered was a hole in the nose radome. The radome conceals the weather radar and is a very thin material for easy passage of the radar beams. The hole didn't matter much even though it was basketball sized because this is an unpressurized area.
I'm so glad to hear you say this. When the plane went down recently - the one with the amazing pilot who managed to land that plane with no loss of life - all the news stations went on and on about how common bird attacks are. It was almost fear mongering and yet I'm thinking, how come I've never heard about this problem if it's so common? Anyway, thanks for making me feel better.:tiphat:

Calicolady

Me too, FM. Seems like the 3 just this past 2-3 mos. were all bird problems, and I don't remember hearing all this before.
Are bird doing the Alfred Hitchcock suddenly, Buzz?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I've been hearing about airports using trained dogs and/or sound blasts to scare birds off for years.

Yes. Airports with high bird populations do this often. They use everything from fireworks to shotgun shell blanks. I suppose it works but don't know how they can cover as large an area as an airport.

Bird highlight: Midway Island in the Pacific. I took a C-130 transport plane in there once and the entire atoll was covered with gooney birds. I mean they were everywhere, just walking around looking for a party in the middle of nowhere.... Never seen so much bird crap in my life. Must be fertile soil there.

gooney1.jpg

Calicolady

Maybe they thought you were their mama! LOL!
Birds, any birds (I'm thinking chickens and ducks as I've had some experience) ARE the dirties animals. I swear.

chowhound

Yes. Airports with high bird populations do this often. They use everything from fireworks to shotgun shell blanks. I suppose it works but don't know how they can cover as large an area as an airport.

Bird highlight: Midway Island in the Pacific. I took a C-130 transport plane in there once and the entire atoll was covered with gooney birds. I mean they were everywhere, just walking around looking for a party in the middle of nowhere.... Never seen so much bird crap in my life. Must be fertile soil there.

So the shit was literally hitting the "fans"?
:lol:

chowhound

I love flying.... don't like landing and taking off though...

19... wow!

You love "flying", or you love riding in an airplane.
Any old skydiver knows that saying you are flying when you are sitting in an airplane is like saying you are swimming when you are sitting in a boat....
:wink: