Saturday Dinner - 26 December

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I get to spend another day in the kitchen!!! Though I've never had the pleasure of meeting her, Lou's mom had a saying "if you cannot do it with a smile, don't do it at all".....and I try to live up to that saying. My brother and his wife are coming for dinner. My nephew from CA is coming as is my nephew from FL. So, we're 6 for dinner tonight.

First course is quail eggs (my plan is to poach them, but it may be hard boiled, depending on how much the shells piss me off) with candied cranberries, toasted pignoli nuts over raddichio and arugula with truffle vinaigrette. Voignier wine for this

Second course is still up in the air. I've officially tossed the home made ravioli idea. HOnestly, I just don't have the time. I'm still considering the pistachio stuffed rice balls (but, I may just save that for the next IC). If I don't do the rice balls, it's going to be gnocchi with figs and pancetta in a light cream and sage sauce.

Third course is slow roasted crown roast of pork with an apple and herb stuffing, oven roasted beets and home made apple sauce. We have a beaujolais for this.

Dessert is tiramisu - which I really have to get busy on. Should have done that yesterday.

I want to get to the gym at some point today.....wish me luck with that!!

Deelady

Definately leftovers!! Can't wait! :D

Vera I don't envy you for having to be in the kitchen again so soon! But it does sound delish! :)

K

Kimchee

By special request of the Mother-in-Law:

CHUCKWAGON COOKIE'S BULGOGI!!!!
And fried rice!
On lettuce wraps, with special dipping sauce.

The other half of Chuckwagon Cookie (my best friend) is coming
up to help cook....OK, eat!... should be a fun night with lots of
Miller Lite. (He is beer-challenged, poor guy.)

It will look something like this:

Attachments

• BulgogiWrap2.jpg
    BulgogiWrap2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 184

homecook

Still without power, so we'll either be eating out somewhere or barge in on my aunt and uncle for dinner. lol

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
we've a few restaurant giftcards, so that's probably din-din. if i'm hungry enough. also gonna blend a few margaritas before we leave. chain restaurants stress me; the food is so overabundant.

Last edited:

GotGarlic

we've a few restaurant giftcards, so that's probably din-din. if i'm hungry enough. also gonna blend a few margaritas before we leave. chain restaurants stress me; the food is so overabundant.

I know how you feel about that overabundant food, luvs. Try asking for a to-go box when you order, so you can put half of it away to take home as soon as it's served. I luv leftovers for breakfast or lunch! :smile:

GotGarlic

(a la Verablue)

First course is a salad with freshly picked arugula, romaine and butter lettuce from our garden, roasted red peppers, goat cheese and fig-vanilla balsamic vinaigrette.

Second course is pan-grilled chicken breasts with the prosciutto-wrapped asparagus I forgot to make yesterday and antipasto pasta with pesto (say that 10 times fast!) I didn't make Christmas Eve. More Christmas cookies for dessert.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
thanks! we usually bring leftovers with us. last restaurant we went to they gave us 2 baby loaves of brown bread, (jake gulped them both), then salad (gave that to jake as they poured bleu cheese over mine) then the dinners. & drinks.th & the appy platter, too. that's too many foods!

excellent! he's here & we're only getting an appy & drinks!

Last edited:

Love2"Q"

going to cook the other half of beef tenderloin i did not make yesterday ..
we had a few people call and say they were not coming over so i only made half of what i had ..
so that and some broccoli .. and some left over mac and cheese ..(man that stuff was good) ..
probably some foil packet taters also ..

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Leftovers: Eye round and burgundy gravy, pan fried leftover baked potato and veggies and pasta shells with garlic and olive oil.

eye_round_fried_veggies_122609_P1040991.JPG

Pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

pumpkin_pie_122609_P1050012.JPG

Last edited:

Meme4251

Kimchee, sure looks good but I can't get anyone but myself eat cabbage. My kid's don't even like me cooking it because of the smell. I love it though and was raised on it...Nice.:flowers:

Ok My Peepsie, here you go again...LOL...Leftovers and pie... My Ass:oops:....Can I con you into moving to Texas??:yum: Please:wub:..................Wonderful leftovers....sh/Meme

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We had leftover Italian Wedding Soup and Italian bread. it gets better each day, but I put the last 2-1/2 qt in the freezer for later.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Kimchee, sure looks good but I can't get anyone but myself eat cabbage. My kid's don't even like me cooking it because of the smell. I love it though and was raised on it...Nice.:flowers:

Ok My Peepsie, here you go again...LOL...Leftovers and pie... My Ass:oops:....Can I con you into moving to Texas??:yum: Please:wub:..................Wonderful leftovers....sh/Meme
LOL thank you meme. you may be able to con me into a visit to texas altough when we drove to arizona to visit my aunt it took 2 days to get out of texas and i couldn't wait to leave the humidity behind!! so if you can promise me air conditioning ....................... :thumb:

Last edited: