I've just discovered Clementines!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love oranges and take one to lunch every day (unless Macintosh apples are in season).

Anyway, I've been disgusted with the dried up, woody Navel oranges that I've been paying $1.00 for each lately.

Saw a mesh bag of these baby Clementine oranges (a variety of Mandarin orange) for $6.99 and decided to give them a try.

WINNER! They are easy to peel, sweet as candy, maybe one seed per orange. I take two for lunch dessert, since they are very small, as you can see in relation to my hand.

The bag in the photo is missing about 10 Clementines, since I've eaten some and gave a few to neighbors to try.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Lee

Attachments

• Clementines in a bag.JPG
    Clementines in a bag.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Clementines peeled.JPG
    Clementines peeled.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,067

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
They certainly are yummy little buggers.

I just bought some Kumquats hoping they were an easy to deal with fruit along the same line - no peeling. No go they are bitter.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Never tried a Kumquat, Andy. Guess I won't.

But now I'm wondering what people would buy them for.

Lee

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I love clementimes, we eat them a lot over here. Kumquats are usually used for cooking and preserves. They make a good marmalade and a chutney.

thegrindre

Kumquats are very very delicious. You've got to try 'em, Lee. It's sorta kinda like eating grapes.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0nK5zXMDDc[/ame]

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I love clementines also. I am glad to see someone else feels the same way about navels as I do. I HATE dried up, tasteless navel oranges!! I also love mac apples. LOL

I have been seeing commercials for "cuties" and wondering if they are also clementines.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Love them, buy them a lot this tomeof year. Sometimes put a slice in my vodka and club soda.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Love 'em too! I find that they are best right before Thanksgiving and through Christmas.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I love oranges and take one to lunch every day (unless Macintosh apples are in season).

Anyway, I've been disgusted with the dried up, woody Navel oranges that I've been paying $1.00 for each lately.

Saw a mesh bag of these baby Clementine oranges (a variety of Mandarin orange) for $6.99 and decided to give them a try.

WINNER! They are easy to peel, sweet as candy, maybe one seed per orange. I take two for lunch dessert, since they are very small, as you can see in relation to my hand.

The bag in the photo is missing about 10 Clementines, since I've eaten some and gave a few to neighbors to try.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Lee

We have been getting them here in Lexington now for the last month and they are good though not new to us. With just my wife and I we go through one of these bags in a couple of days.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I came across this and thought it was interesting. Sometimes I can find the Cuties, and sometimes I can find Halos. I guess I've been eating clementines and clemenules :dizzy: lately. Clemenules...what a name for such a delicious little piece of citrus. Lol, I'm going to ask the produce guy at Wal Mart where the clemenules are located :yum:.

http://www.eatlikenoone.com/what-is-the-difference-between-cuties-halos.htm

This guy knows his fruit.
From the blog post:

What is the Difference Between Cuties & Halos?

Are Cuties and Halos the same thing? Is the answer

A) Yes
B) No
C) Maybe
D) All of the above
….

If you answered D you are correct!

Different Types of Mandarins

Here is something that I don’t think most people know. Cuties and Halos are different types of mandarins depending on what time of year it is. They are not always the Clementine variety. In fact, Clementines are only available during the beginning part of the citrus season (from November to January). The other mandarin commonly used is the W. Murcott. Often I see grocery stores naming even the Murcotts as Clementines as that name sells better. Just look at the calendar and you will have an idea of what you are really getting.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
we find the Halos much more reliable for quality -
altho tis said Halos are clementines Nov-Jan (early season) but W Murcott Afoures Feb-Apr (late season)
...and supposedly the Spanish imports are the best....
dunno - I have noticed some batches are better than others - which one should expect one thinks, being they're not factory made.

visiting family over Christmas we got some Honeybell - these are tangelos altho often called 'oranges' from the Indian River area. they came in a bit early this year - apparently they are only grown in FL around the Indian River, often in short supply and don't ship well.... we're currently gorging on half a bushel (g)