Green Tomato Bread

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My neighbor and I harvested our green tomatoes before the frost recently - she gave me all of her tomatoes. I saved some to force to turn red, and made this recipe with the rest.

Wonderful! :wub:

So good warm with butter. Or cream cheese.

Lee

Green Tomato Bread (makes 2 loaves)
8 to 10 medium tomatoes
2/3 cup raisins
2/3 cup boiling water
2/3 cup shortening
2 2/3 cups sugar
3 1/3 cup flour
2 teas. Baking soda
1 ½ teas. Salt
½ teas. Baking powder
1 teas. Cinnamon
1 teas. Ground cloves
2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Preheat oven to 350. Grease two loaf pans.
Quarter tomatoes, remove tough core and seeds and process in food processor until smooth. You should have 2 cups of pulp.Put in strainer to get rid of some water.
Soak raisins in boiling water until cool.
Cream sugar and shortening together and beat till fluffy. Add eggs, tomato pulp and raisins with their soaking water.Beat well.
In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and nuts. Add to wet ingredients, a cup at a time, stirring well after each addition.
Divide batter between 2 greased loaf pans and bake 1 hour and 10 minutes in 350 oven, or until toothpick comes out clean from the center.

Attachments

• Green tomato breads.JPG
    Green tomato breads.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Green tomato bread, cut.JPG
    Green tomato bread, cut.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 148

Johnny West

That looks interesting and will have to try it. Our green tomatoes are gone so will have to wait till next year.

The banana and zucchini bread I left at church was fed to the walk-ins for our Wed. soup kitchen and got a big thank you from them. I was told they loved it.