can you freeze cocoa

Carolina Cooking

powder? I have a HUGE can of Ghirardelli Un sweeten cocoa . Not been opened. But it is old.
How long is the shelf life after I open it. NO way can I use this much cocoa. so I thought , can I freeze it.

web site tells me nothing.

lol never mind. I found out you can't freeze the powder.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
powder? I have a HUGE can of Ghirardelli Un sweeten cocoa . Not been opened. But it is old.
How long is the shelf life after I open it. NO way can I use this much cocoa. so I thought , can I freeze it.

web site tells me nothing.

lol never mind. I found out you can't freeze the powder.
I have cans of Hershey's cocoa powder (actual metal cans that you need to pry the circle cap out of it with a bottle opener or the back of a spoon thats how old they are, cocoa now comes in platic tubs) that are at least 10 years old. I keep them in the pantry and they are still good.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've had some in my pantry for what seems like forever too. It's been at least 5 years and it's fine.

Carolina Cooking

:laugh: I have 2 ..28oz can's that I bought while in SanF at the Ghir store & it has been 8yrs lol. One I know has sugar in it. the other is unsweeten.

If not opened they say indefinitly. Opened 1yr if stored correctly.. It will be longer then that I am sure..

I have Hersey can too. that you have to pry lid off :mrgreen:

good ,,now I will be adding cocoa to my food. .

First up will be my
Pudding Cake for one in a cup. :thumb: made in the microwave...

I don't know about freezing, but back when I drank copious amounts of caffeinne, I had cocoa or coffee every morning; or I mixed 1/2 cup of coffee with 1/2 a cup of cocoa. Great topped with mini marshmallows.

Phiddlechik

I found that it helps to dissolve the cocoa first, it will mix in much better than just going in straight. Maybe with a bit of the coffee, then you don't have to stir, stir, stir the whole cup to get it to dissolve.