Crescent Rolls become Sweet Potato Dumplings!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
If you want to impress your guests, these sweet potato crescent rolls are easy to make and won't disappoint!
SweetPotatoDumplings-0.jpg

Here's what you are going to need:

1 (8-count) roll of crescent rolls
4 frozen sweet potato patties
1 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
6 Tablespoons of butter
1/2 tablespoon of Cornstarch
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Cinnamon for sprinkling on top

Here's what you need to do:

Preheat oven to 350° F.

SweetPotatoDumplings-3.jpg

You are only going to need 4 of these patties so just put the rest in the freezer for next time.
Once you taste these sweet potato dumplings, you'll know that there will definitely be a "next time".

SweetPotatoDumplings-4.jpg

Cut each patty in half.

SweetPotatoDumplings-5.jpg

Open and unroll the crescent rolls.​

SweetPotatoDumplings-6.jpg

Separate the triangles. Place each sweet potato patty on the wide end of each triangle.

SweetPotatoDumplings-7.jpg

As you roll up each sweet potato half in the crescent roll, tuck the ends in.
They don't have to be perfect.
Since they don't have to be sealed,it's okay if the sweet potatoes aren't completely covered.

SweetPotatoDumplings-8.jpg

After you finish rolling them up, place in an 8"x8" glass baking dish with the pointy end of the crescent roll facing down.

88If you are doubling this recipe, use a 9"x13" glass baking dish.

SweetPotatoDumplings-10.jpg

In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar and cornstarch. Mix well. Add the butter.

Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.

SweetPotatoDumplings-12.jpg

Pour the sugar mixture over the dumplings.

SweetPotatoDumplings-13.jpg

Sprinkle with cinnamon. I like a lot of cinnamon on mine.

SweetPotatoDumplings-2.jpg
Bake in the preheated 350° F oven for 35 to 40 minutes.​

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy moly, Mama! I have two friends in mind who will adore that recipe!

Thanks!

Lee

Carolina Cooking

oh yum..

I almost posted a recipe in Peeps thread, using boxed, canned, short cut food items . Using Pillsbury prepared items. Just like those dinner rolls. I use them too.

Lot's of places to post stuff like that. :unsure:

Guess I'll wait, Till I know where to do that.lol

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks y'all! I don't know if they are a regional thing or not LS. I get them in the freezer section with the vegetables.

Carolina, just post the recipe where you think it fits best and if the mods think it's a better fit elsewhere, I'm sure they'll ask you if it would be alright to move it. No big deal.

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
OH MAMA that lloks fantastic! Are the sweet potato patties cooked or raw? If I can't find them can I use fresh sliced sweet taters?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't know if you can use them raw Peepers. The only way I've ever made them is with the frozen patties. I think the frozen patties are blanched so you might could blanch them and then wrap them. I've heard that you can also do this with cooking apple slices and make apple dumplings but I've never done it.

Carolina Cooking

:idea: I think there should be a thread.

What can be made with a can of Crescent rolls :smile:

I have made apple turnovers. Pizza pockets. any fruit filling even jam. Sausage, hot dogs, herb cheese. I have even made a ham & swiss roll up lol. cinnamon rolls. Its really endless what you can make. My grands love to make stuff with them..No mess..:thumb:

I have used the biscuits as cobbler topping & on top of stews.

Oddly I have not used the pizza dough for pizza but I have used it to make rolls & bread sticks.