Tasty DO Marinara Sauce

Fe Stomach

I found and have made a Marinara sauce in my new 8" Dutch Oven that my wife gave me for Christmas.
I was looking for some good recipes to help begin seasoning the DO and thought that a lively Italian sauce sounded like it fit the bill perfectly.

Sooo, Let me share!!

It was handy because at the time I was cooking up a chunk of a Brisket in My 12", so I just used the top of it for heating my 8".

6 Tblsp olive oil
1/2 stick butter
3 cloves of garlic
1 Tblsp parsley
2 cans 14.5 oz. Cut up tomatoes, Diced would be perfect.
1 Tblsp dried Oregano
2 Tblsp Italian seasoning
1 can of diced up Anchovies
3 Tblsp tomato paste
Salt and Pepper to taste

While getting the stuff sorted out, preheat the DO with all the briquettes on the bottom, and with the butter and oil in the pot.

When the butter has melted and is good and hot, stir in the garlic and parsley. Cook for about 10 minutes stirring off and on.

Add drained tomatoes, oregano and pepper and cook for about 45 minutes, stir it now and then adding just enough salt to suit. The brew should be boiling, if not add enough briquettes to make it so.
Stir in anchovies and tomato paste cook for an additional 10 minutes.

Let the sauce sit in the Frig for a day or two and, "Let the flavors Marry"!

This sauce should be great for any recipe calling for marinara, Spaghetti, and Veal or Chicken Parmesan (Parmigiana) come to mind.
:eating2:
To Critique......
Next time I'll use a little less Olive Oil.
But the flavor is top notch!!!

The pic of the finished product didn't come out as clear as I'd hoped...sry.

Scotty

This recipe was modified from a recipe by the Williamsons of Sulphur Springs, Tx

Attachments

• CIMG1245.jpg
    CIMG1245.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,041
  • CIMG1244.jpg
    CIMG1244.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,062
  • CIMG1246.jpg
    CIMG1246.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,075
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, well the picture is making my mouth water anyway!

I think the addition of a few anchovies is the umami that makes people say, "mmm, what's in this that makes it taste so great?"

Excellent post!

Lee

Fe Stomach

War Dept. agrees, too much butter! And when it was all done alot of oil floating on top. Next trip I'll do exactly as you suggest.

And yes QSis, you can taste the anchovies, it is not a faint taste, it's really there. I've tasted that flavor before when eating at Italian restruants and never really thought about, or cared what it was because it's not offensive at all. Now that I've used them, and tasted the final product....there it is, and I now know what it is!! I love learning and discovery!!

Thx u 2 for the input.
Scotty

High Cheese

Saucier
I modified your procedure a little using basically the same ingredients.

3 Tblsp olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
1 Tblsp dried Oregano
2 Tblsp Italian seasoning
3 Tblsp tomato paste
1 can of diced up Anchovies
2 cans 14.5 oz. Cut up tomatoes, Diced would be perfect.
1 Tblsp FRESH parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste

Get the DO ready and add the oil. Gently cook the garlic for approx 1-2 minutes but do not brown it. Then add the dry herbs (you can add 1 teaspoon red chili flake too) and stir into the garlic. Move those ingredients to one side of the pot. On the other side add your tomato paste and "toast" the paste a bit, about 1 minute stirring it in a little circle on the bottom of the pan. Add the anchovy and mix everything in the pan. (You could add 1/4 cup red or white wine at this point if you wanted to) Add the tomato, black pepper and about 1-2 tablespoons of salt. Simmer 45 minutes. If the tomatoes are still acidic you can add a pat of butter to smooth out the acidity. Finish with fresh parsley, check for seasoning.

Fe Stomach

Looks much better, We are going to try it that way. Now, I gotta figure how to toast the paste... my pinky fingers are as big as my thumbs, and they work the same way, it's a manual dexterity thing, and a 8" DO is tight working space. That appears to be ONE of those little skills that when learned, becomes tools in the box so to speak.
You know, them little anchovies are pretty oily themselves, I drained them but I think they are more oil and odor than meat!!

Thanks for the hints, when I brew this again I'll return to this thread and update.
:thankyou:
Scotty

Fe Stomach

High Cheese, just got around to making this one again and used your recipe.
Much Much better!! (Did use two pats at the end) There was WAYYYY too much butter in my original. Thx fer the pointers!
Scotty
:WitchBrewsSmiley:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice update, Fe!

Thanks for following up and noting how HC's suggestions turned out!

Lee