ISO tips for using Atlas Pasta Maker recipes etc

PanchoHambre

I couldn't resist for $25 so i bought the damn thing... just what I need when my kitchen is pending demolition...anyway someone got a quick and dirty recipe? Any little hints? How to I clean er?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I have a pasta machine....don't remember if it's an atlas or not..just don't get it wet!!! All the flour you use to dust the mechanism will turn to glue and you'll be stuck with a $25 door stop.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I always done pasta dough buy hand which is pretty easy but do use a pasta roller on my kitchen aid to roll it out as well as the other attachment for making the shapes I want.

Here is the recipe I've had good luck with a basic pasta dough mix by Mario Batali and for the flower I have used others such as semolina for all as well as half.

Basic Pasta Dough

3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
4 extra-large eggs
1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil

Directions
Mound 3 1/2 cups of the flour in the center of a large wooden cutting board. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the eggs and olive oil. Using a fork, beat together the eggs and oil and begin to incorporate the flour, starting with the inner rim of the well. As you expand the well, keep pushing the flour up from the base of the mound to retain the well shape.
The dough will come together when half of the flour is incorporated. At this point, start kneading the dough with both hands, using the palms of your hands.
Once there is a cohesive mass, remove the dough from the board and scrape up and discard any leftover bits. Lightly reflour the board and continue kneading for 6 more minutes. The dough should be elastic and a little sticky.
Wrap the dough in plastic and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
Roll or shape as desired.

High Cheese

Saucier
My basic pasta dough is 1 egg, 3/4 cup AP flour, pinch salt, about 1 teaspoon EVOO, some bench flour. Combine like Joe said, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes. I haven't tried resting at room temp, I'll try that next time.

I have basically the same machine. I also use a pastry wheel for ravioli and farfalle.