Buttermilk Lemon Pound Cake

FryBoy

Had some leftover buttermilk and a bunch of aging eggs, so I searched for something to do with them.

I came up with this recipe (click this link to see recipe): Buttermilk Lemon Pound Cake

Looking good so far:

Attachments

• Buttermilk Pound Cake 02-27-2009.jpg
    Buttermilk Pound Cake 02-27-2009.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

Calicolady

OK, where's the recipe?
I love lemon pound cake and we're going to get a cool spell on Sunday, I think, so I won't mind turning the oven on.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful, Doug! Recipe is copied and saved.

I am going to create a file folder of buttermilk recipes. I never have it just laying around, and if I need a little for some recipe, I have it left over and don't know what to do with it.

So far, I have this and Paula Deen's Buttermilk Pie.

Lee

FryBoy

Here are a couple of others (attached) that I've posted recently but which you might have missed. For my money, each one is a favorite in its category, and they all use buttermilk.

I also make a very low-cal version of mashed potatoes using buttermilk -- just boil peeled and cut-up Russet potatoes until they're soft enough to mash (test with a cooking fork -- done when easily pierced), drain them and dry them a bit by returning the pan to the fire for a few seconds, mash them, add enough buttermilk to moisten to the desired consistency ( about ½ to ¾ cup for a large potato, but use less than you think you'll need -- it's easier to add more than to take some out), season with salt and pepper. About 1/5 the calories of "regular" mashed potatoes, zero fat, and you'll never miss the butter.

Attachments

• BUTTERMILK PANCAKES.pdf
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,168
  • BUTTERMILK WAFFLES.pdf
    139.7 KB · Views: 947
  • Chess Pie, Lemon.pdf
    24.6 KB · Views: 298

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, great!

I've saved the Lemon Chess Pie recipe, and will try the mashed potato idea, too!

Thanks!

Lee

FryBoy

BTW, my oven is pretty accurate and the cake was done in 80 minutes rather than the stated 90. That was based on the note in the recipe that it's done when it starts to pull away from the sides, which is usually a good test of most baked goods. Of course, the proper baking time will vary based on the type and color of the pan you use, altitude, humidity, etc.

Last edited:

FryBoy

And it is very, very good! Moist and tender inside with a nice crunchy crust. My wife proclaimed it to be the best pound cake she's every had.

One trick with this and any similar recipe is to thoroughly cream (blend) the butter and sugar before adding the other ingredients. That takes 3 to 5 minutes in the electric mixer. It should be as smooth as silk. Another "trick" is to sift the flour (after measuring it), even though the recipe doesn't call for that step.

Last edited:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Oh yum!!! Love buttermilk.... love LEMON!!! To bad I have to starve myself all day Monday!

FryBoy

For a real treat, cut slices of this (or any pound cake), stick them in the toaster oven until lightly toasted, top with ice cream. OINK!

FryBoy

One caution about this recipe -- it says to bake for 90 minutes, but check it after 60. My oven is pretty well calibrated, and I've found it's done in about 70 minutes. When it starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, take it out of the oven. If it's baked much longer, it will be dry.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just re-read the recipe for this lovely cake, Fry, and wondered if real lemon juice would be okay to sub for the lemon extract?

How much lemon juice would you think?

Lee

FryBoy

I don't know why not. I suspect maybe the juice of 1/2 a lemon and a teaspoon or two of zest. It would make the batter a little thinner, so maybe a few more minutes in the oven.

I made it again today -- check this post: CLICK ME

Let me know how it comes out -- lemon extract ain't cheap!

smoke king

Banned
Another "trick" is to sift the flour (after measuring it), even though the recipe doesn't call for that step.

Yep-wise words indeed. Anytime I bake, I sift the dry ingredients regardless of whether the recipe calls for it or not.

Ummm, that cake looks, and sounds great FB!! I am definately going to give it a try!!