Peep's Green Olive Sauce

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peep's Green Olive Sauce

• 15 oz can of plain Tomato Sauce with no spices or herbs added (or homemade sauce, nothing added to tomatoes)
  • 3 - 4 cloves Fresh Garlic (≈ 2 TBSP) minced fine, pressed or grated on microplane - or to taste
  • 1/4 cup Onion chopped fine - or to taste
  • 2 - 3 TBSP Olive oil
  • 2 TBSP Fresh oregano - chopped fine (1/2 tsp dry oregano; rubbed ) - or to taste
  • 2 TBSP Fresh flat leaf parsley - chopped fine (1/2 tsp dry parsley; rubbed ) - or to taste
  • 1/4 tsp Ground black pepper - or to taste
  • 1/8 tsp Ground red pepper flakes - or to taste
  • Green olives - stuffed Spanish or imported Spanish olives with pits removed (I used 1/2 of a 13 oz bottle of green "salad" olives with pimentos)
  • Burgundy wine - fill empty tomato sauce can 1/4 full with wine
  • *See note below
  1. Heat pot and add several turns of olive oil.
  2. Add garlic, onion to pot, herbs and spices (cooking the herbs and spices brings out the oils and flavors, it also makes the red pepper hotter so adjust accordingly to your personal heat tolerance). Cook gently over low heat till onions and garlic are soft. Do not brown or burn.
  3. Add remaining ingredients to pot.
  4. Bring to boil then lower heat and simmer till olives are no longer bitter; about 10 to 20 minutes.
  5. Serve over your favorite pasta and top with grated Romano and/or Parmesan cheese.
*Note: You can add a small amount of anchovy paste or chopped anchovy fillets to the soft onions and cook for about 1 minute before adding the tomato sauce. After all the ingredients are added and combined well you can add a spoon of capers.

Pictured below served over Mini Fusilli

olivesauce-2.jpg

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh man, Peep!

Barilla used to make a green and black olive sauce that my brother and I LOVED!!! But they discontinued it!

I will make yours, and add some black olives to it. Perfect!

Thank you!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you Lee and Pancho.

This was a Friday during lent and Christmas eve dinner for me cause I really didn't like the fish much.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
thanx, peepz~
i'm not 1 to follow recipes. i'm following this recipe. seems delicious.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
thanx to uuuuu. i'll be shopping soon enough. i'll msg. u to see if u think it looks like it should.
i've the baby fusilli. olives. i'll work from that.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
thanx to uuuuu. i'll be shopping soon enough. i'll msg. u to see if u think it looks like it should.
No problem. The most important thing is that it looks and tastes good to you.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
BTW I LOVE the Barilla mini pastas.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i've yet to make the sauce. Chefette's instinct says it'll rock.

i luv barilla. i'll toss a box into my buggy pretty often. jus' due to them being adorable. 1 pantry shelf is mostly of thier pastas.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, so it only took me 7 years, but I finally made this tonight, a Lenten Friday night.

Made as written - just added a pinch of sugar to the sauce. Oh, I had intended to add the anchovy paste and capers, per the note at the bottom, but I forgot. Next time.

DELICIOUS, Peep! I loved it!

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_5977.JPG
    IMG_5977.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 900

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Glad you liked it Lee. I may make that tonight for hub and I.