Cheese slicer

chilefarmer

Att: Adillo found this ,looks to be durable. No cutting wire uses a blade. CF

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-International-Endurance-Cheese-Slicer/dp/B000684I4U/ref=sr_1_1/189-3190667-9297446?ie=UTF8&qid=1420505842&sr=8-1&keywords=endurance+cheese+slicer[/ame]

CheeseSlicer_zps476dfc1b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
That looks neat. There was someone at one of the shows last year a few tents down from us that has a similar product in wood. As you said, though, the cutter was wire.

I would think that using a blade, one would want to run it through the dishwasher, which is possible since its metal.

My boards would not make it through the dishwasher, although, I did have someone try. LOL

chilefarmer

I have had several cheese slicers, All with a wire, they have always stretched or broken. I was impressed with the blade. I just finished smoking some cheese with hickory. Man is it tasty, (using a knife to cut) I have no working slicer. But I may very soon. CF

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
CF - take a look at a Japanese Vedgetable knife. I bought one for other reasons, when I tried it on cheese, the square wide blade let's me make slices of uniform thicknesses and it's easy to clean. In fact, mine is a Cutco and it goes in the dishwasher.

You don't have to go this expensive, but, here is a pic.

http://goodgrape.typepad.com/celebrate/2009/08/tamahagane-knife-review.html

The problem for me with any pivot type cheese slicer is that as the size of the cheese block goes up, the efficiency of the slicer goes down. You are always pushing the cheese away from the blade, and as the cheese block gets larger, the problem gets larger.

I use a sharp knife, usually a nakiri, but any long relatively flat blade will work.

IMO the nakiri is the most underrated blade in the kitchen arsenal. Aside from chopping bone and opening cans, it is usually up to the task.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
unflavored (& many say, unwaxed) dental floss is a great cutter, too.

Eshton

My choice is also a sharp knife, unless you need to slice cheese for a home party. Otherwise, it's better to consider something like that.