KA dough hook

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
KA has a new modified "super duper" spiral dough hook.

any "old style" users bought one and is it actually any better?

I do breads , , , ,

leolady

I think I know what you mean. The "new" style is the stainless steel spiral [pigtail] dough hook, and what you are asking is if it is better than the "c" shaped old style dough hooks.

From what I have heard on the old KA forum is that they both will do the same job with the dough, but that the spiral dough hook will do it a little faster.

Guts

what I've heard on this is the old-style C hook the dough wants to climb up the hook and a new style described as a pigtail by Leo lady works better mixing dough. I got this information from the pizza site I visit where these guys are making pizza dough and bread dough all the time. I contacted KitchenAid about getting a new pigtail style cook for my 6 quart mixer and they said it would not work. Boo-hoo. I would've bought one if it worked. With that said, if you're going to get a KitchenAid mixer. I would look for one that uses the new style.

If you're talking about the batter beater with the soft sides . I have one but I have not used it yet. I think these have been discussed before and seems to be a pretty beneficial aftermarket item.

leolady

My buddy Mixfinder did a side by side comparison using my old KA model G with the "c" hook, and his super duper new KA 620 with the spiral hook -- making dinner rolls.

His test did not show a problem with the dough climbing the "c" hook [although with some doughs it may be an issue]. It just took the "c" hook a minute or so more to get the same result.

Shermie

Site Supporter
There IS a small "plate" or "disk", if you will, at the top if the C-shaped dough hook just below the hole where it hooks up onto the machine's beater drive shaft.

The Spiral dough hook does not have this disk, possibly because of the way that it is designed. It kneads the dough in a sort of a downward spiraling action, keeping the dough from climbing the hook and coming up to the top.

Both of my K'Aid Stand Mixers have and came with the C hook.

The "disk" helps prevent the dough from going past it, keeping the dough UNDER the disk. I've never had any problems with the dough going anywhere past the disk. It has always stayed within the confinements of the area where the hook is.

As the dough is kneaded, it is normal for it to climb the hook, but not beyond or over the disk. The manual says that the dough WILL leave the sides of the work bowl and spin around the hook.

I have no problem with the C hook. It has done very well by me since I've been using both machines!

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I've got the lift bowl model - whatever that is.

it works, I don't ask a lot questions when something works as advertised.

I'm baffled by "they said it would not work." is it the shape of the bowl, hardly likely to be the vertical shaft size/mounting.

I went to the KA site - all the hooks are listed as "dough hook" - coated. burnished, original - nadda a blinking thing about "new and improved" - so thoroughly uninformative I just gave up.

my hook works. guess I just stick with it as KA can't be bothered to provide any information and per "users" it us apparently all smoke and mirrors anyway.

yeah, I'm grumpy today.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I've got the lift bowl model - whatever that is.

it works, I don't ask a lot questions when something works as advertised.

I'm baffled by "they said it would not work." is it the shape of the bowl, hardly likely to be the vertical shaft size/mounting.

I went to the KA site - all the hooks are listed as "dough hook" - coated. burnished, original - nadda a blinking thing about "new and improved" - so thoroughly uninformative I just gave up.

my hook works. guess I just stick with it as KA can't be bothered to provide any information and per "users" it us apparently all smoke and mirrors anyway.

yeah, I'm grumpy today.

My slightly larger K'Aid 5-qt machine (K-5SS) is also a bowl lift model.

I was told though, that the spiral dough hook can only be used with the WIDER-BOWL 5-qt & 6-qt models. I heard that K'Aid is awfully lax when it comes to trying to get some info from them.

And now, the company has introduced a new larger 7-qt model (pictured below)! It is availible at Chefscatalog.com . Saw it in the catalog that I just got the other day. It is astronomically expensive though, costing upwards of $800!!

It is designed for high-end commercial use though, with the most powerful motor (1.3 hp) in their line of stand mixers.

Attachments

• K'Aid 7-qt Stand Mixer.jpg
    K'Aid 7-qt Stand Mixer.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 784
Last edited:

FooD

I contacted KitchenAid about getting a new pigtail style cook for my 6 quart mixer and they said it would not work. Boo-hoo. I would've bought one if it worked. With that said, if you're going to get a KitchenAid mixer. I would look for one that uses the new style.

Hmm......My KA 600 (6 quart) came with a spiral dough hook. I don't see why it wouldn't work on your's.

leolady

The reason the spiral hook won't work on some mixers is that on the ones that can handle it, it is due to having the section of the mixer where the attachment goes reinforced to handle the compression from the spiral hook.

In other words, if you use the spiral hook on a mixer not designed for it, the hook can force its way into your KA mixer head!

Shermie

Site Supporter
The reason the spiral hook won't work on some mixers is that on the ones that can handle it, it is due to having the section of the mixer where the attachment goes reinforced to handle the compression from the spiral hook.

In other words, if you use the spiral hook on a mixer not designed for it, the hook can force its way into your KA mixer head!

That's terrible!!

So they force you to stay away from the thing if your particular mixer does not accommodate it.

Well, I'm not going out to get a new K'Aid Stand mixer ( I aready have two) just to be able to use the spiral hook! That's crazy!! :bb:

Shermie

Site Supporter
But I would seriously consider getting the mixer whose pic I posted above, if my K-5SS machine ever broke down!!

But it probably won't because it is made to last & last & last! It has stood up to all of my mixing and baking needs!!

Since I'm a lefty, and my left shoulder sometimes experiences wrenching pain there, I just couldn't possibly beat heavy or thick batters by hand - no way!!! My three mixers are a godsend!!! :fridge:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
But I would seriously consider getting the mixer whose pic I posted above, if my K-5SS machine ever broke down!!

But it probably won't because it is made to last & last & last! It has stood up to all of my mixing and baking needs!!

Since I'm a lefty, and my left shoulder sometimes experiences wrenching pain there, I just couldn't possibly beat heavy or thick batters by hand - no way!!! My three mixers are a godsend!!! :fridge:
I also have the K-5SS since 1986 and love it. Mine is black and the hook and beater blade have the white coating on them.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I wouldn't buy the 7qt mixer. On EGullet, it has very "mixed" reviews.

I remember when the more powerful 5 & 6-quart Proline machines came out.

They look promising, shiny and powerful, but there was definitely a design flaw! The li'l black box inside where the machinery is that housed the metal gears, was made of plastic.

The box would heat up and become distorted, causing the transmission inside to push itself out of line a little, rendering the mixer helpless! A clunking sound was heard - something that does not sound normal for the machine.

People who experience this mishap called K'Aid to complain about it. K'Aid, in turn, would flatly accuse owners of some kind of wrong doing, blaming THEM for the problem.

Until it became more serious, as some had thought about filing class-action law suits against the company. K'Aid, after having received the news, had later decided to man up and ADMIT that there actually was a design flaw in the machines.

Not only did they replace the plastic gearbox with a metal one, but they also even repaired the returned machines to include this new modified feature. And it even offers the metal gearbox as an accessory to people who would like to do the repairs themselves.

They are shown below.

The one on the left is the plastic one, while the one on the right is the metal one.

Attachments

• K'Aid Gearboxes.jpg
    K'Aid Gearboxes.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,344
Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's the machine with the METAL gearbox in place.

Attachments

• K'Aid metal gearbox..jpg
    K'Aid metal gearbox..jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 3,057

Guts

thanks for the picture Sherman, I have never taken my part but I feel I will need to in the very near future. Did you buy the gearbox from KA if so, could you give me an idea of what it cost. I have a pro 600 KA mixer but I believe it to be the plastic gearbox and I know it's going out from the noise that is making.

Shermie

Site Supporter
thanks for the picture Sherman, I have never taken my part but I feel I will need to in the very near future. Did you buy the gearbox from KA if so, could you give me an idea of what it cost. I have a pro 600 KA mixer but I believe it to be the plastic gearbox and I know it's going out from the noise that is making.

Oh sorry, this is a pic of someone else's machine.

I just happened upon it while searching for the other pic that I posted above that one.

I think that there is still a website around, called PartSelect.com and SmallAppliances.com.

You might find what you're looking for at one of THOSE places. Good luck!!

My machines are still the classic K-45SS & K-5SS - the first 2 K'Aid mixers introduced long before the Artisan and Proline series came out.

They are still in perfect working order Just a couple weeks ago, I found myself using both of them simutaneously, as i was making pumkin AND sweet potato pies.

The K-45SS has done well by me for a whopping 25 years!! It is the very original Hobart-made machine made before K'Aid had sold the division to Whirlpool Corp.

My K-5SS is Whirlpool made. But it also is a real trooper and a keeper! These 2 machines don't know the meaning of the word, quit!!!!! :clap:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's my K-45SS machine. Note the Hobart logo near the back of the unit.

Attachments

• 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 750

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's a pic of both of my K'Aid Stand Mixers with all the beater attechments in front for each one.

As you can see, the dough hooks are different in shape for each one, as well as the Beater Blades for each one.

Actually, the machine on the left uses slightly smaller beaters because the mixer's bowl is slightly smaller.

Attachments

• 58 059.jpg
    58 059.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 750

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
if one takes notice, the geometry of the spiral dough hook is different than the "standard" dough hook. which, one could reckon, is why they "invented" it . . .

and, the spiral hook has a kink that will exert pressure upward on the mixer head driving shaft - whereas the standard design is almost flat with just a tweak of a twist at the tip.

the heavier/stiffer the dough, I can easily see more force being exerted vertically by the spiral.

that, coupled with the bummer plastic design may explain why KA doesn't want certain 'older' (read: out of the box defective) models using the new spiral design. the increased vertical force may be more than enough to cause failure in the plastic gear boxes - even if you've been whipping eggs whites for a thousand years without a problem.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Agreed.

It has been said that the lower the speed, such as for kneading dough, the more powerful the torque becomes, the neccesary force needed from the motor & transmission to effectively knead the dough.

But the dough hooks that come with the older models are not plastic. They are nylon-coated metal. The nylon coating is supposed to allow easier cleanup and allows the flat beater and dough hook to be machine-washed.

When the Proline Series machines were introduced, most of the models came without the nylon coating on the flat beater and the dough hook. But K'Aid warns against washing some of them in the dishwasher, saying that if such practice takes place, that they will darken and become all black & ugly looking.

When I bought my K-5SS machine, there was a small tag attached to the wire whip, stating that if the whip is machine-washed, then the hub will darken.

With such attachments, the shiny ploished coating is vulnerable to the harsh ingredients used in dishwasher detergents, mainly the chlorine bleach.