Meatloaf on top of stuffing

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My neighbor, Kathy, who can't cook her way out of a paper bag, wants to make her mother's meatloaf. And it sounds great to me!

It's your favorite meatloaf mixture that's packed in a loaf pan which has bread stuffing in the bottom. Doesn't that sound wonderful?

Thing is, Kathy doesn't remember if her mother moistened the stuffing before putting the meatloaf mixture over it or not. Kathy said she tried it once with the moistened stuffing, and it fell apart. Next time, she wants to keep the stuffng dry.

I LOVE the concept, since I adore stuffing and will use any excuse to make it.

This might be a good idea for you cornbread stuffing fans, too.

So, what's your opinion? Should the stuffing be moistened or dry when you put it in the pan under the meatloaf?

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
it is probably dry and soaks up the grease and liquid that drips from the meatloaf while cooking.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Gonna agree with peep here. In a pan, there is a LOT of grease, so that stuffing probably moistens that way. Might not hurt to add a touch of moisture, maybe a 1/4 cup of something flavorful drizzled over the top of the stuffing (tomato juice, pineapple juice, chicken broth, etc), or even some ice cubes mixed in to melt later.

chowhound

I agree with Peeps. It probably soaks up all the drippins from the loaf. I'd leave it dry, but spray the pan so it doesn't stick until the juices start flowing.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I agree with Peeps. It probably soaks up all the drippins from the loaf. I'd leave it dry, but spray the pan so it doesn't stick until the juices start flowing.

Good idea, chow - Kathy burned the bottom, last time she made it. And yeah, maybe a little chicken broth, too, Keltin.

Okay, it's a plan -thanks everyone!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
ahhh, that's the trick to to good "stuffing" made in a pan. how much liquid to add so that it comes out somewhat moist, with crisped edges.

i always use a glass baking dish so i can see how much stock i'm adding. you want to see a little liquid pooling in the bottom (but not up the sides) before it gets soaked up by the bread crumbs.

i guess with the added meat juices, it would be a little trickier to judges.

this does sound like a great idea, though, qsis! thanks. :chef:

gonna try this with a ground turkey meatloaf soon. turkey and stuffing should never be far apart.