You Will Never Believe What I Am Forced To Do!

leolady

My dear great niece just moved into her first apartment. Since I knew she did not have anything, I bought a practically new set of Le Creuset cookware from my aunt who is moving out of town. I thought it would be a good gift for niecy.
angel.gif

Believe it or not, my darling air head niece turned it down! She did not like the color! And horrors, she would have to clean the burned spots on the outside!
ermm.gif

My niece told me she wanted the Rachel Ray cookware set with the orange handles because orange was her favorite color.
ohmy.gif

I am just too through! To add insult to injury, niecy said she wanted Rachel Ray orange knives and utensils.

I am pulling my hair out.............
mad.gif

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
:ohmy: A few years from now...when she is a little older and wiser...she'll be kicking herself in the butt for turning down that set of Le Creuset :bonk:

leolady

Yes, I was just so excited to be able to inexpensively get niecy such a nice set of cookware.

Then, I felt disappointed like a child deprived of her candy.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, you could always put it up for a few years until she comes to her senses and then re-surprise her with it.

leolady

I was so disappointed I told my cousin Jeff about it. He pounced immediately and called dibs on the Le Creuset cookware.

Jeff is thrilled to get it, and I am glad I don't have to look at it anymore. It makes me sad.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Kids. :eek: I understand your hurt, but you tried. Like mama said, eventually she will come around and realize she messed up. Good for you fixing Jeff up with them. Like you said, you don't need to look at them any longer.
Good try LeoLady!!! :tiphat: :clap: :clap:

Guts

I feel your pain. It's odd when somebody doesn't appreciate your generosity. Glad they found an appreciative home and you don't have to look at them anymore to remind you of this.

Rachel Ray pans… Just goes to show you the power of marketing I've seen these in the store. They don't look like anything special to me. But that's just my opinion.

chilefarmer

I think a lot of kids now days are given so much and catered to. They have turned into an I want, ungrateful person.Never saying thank you so much Or please. CF

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Rachel Ray pans… Just goes to show you the power of marketing I've seen these in the store. They don't look like anything special to me. But that's just my opinion.
Orange handles Guts. That makes all the difference. :yum: :yum:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
LeoLady - Don't let it bother you. You tried your best and that is to your credit. The cookware went to someone who will appreciate it.

leolady

Kids. :eek: I understand your hurt, but you tried. Like mama said, eventually she will come around and realize she messed up. Good for you fixing Jeff up with them. Like you said, you don't need to look at them any longer.
Good try LeoLady!!! :tiphat: :clap: :clap:

Thank you so much for your support! It means a lot to me.

I am ashamed to tell you that I also offered her a Kitchenaid model 3B mixer. :twak:

GLASSJUICER.jpg

The mixer may look too old fashioned for her, and she has not responded yet.

But this is the same girl who asked me why I had "those big old chrome mixers" in my kitchen. When I tried to explain they were Kitchenaid model G mixers, she looked bored. I guess it is difficult for me to believe that my niece fails to appreciate my cookware expertise.:bounce:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm no fan of the attitudes of many of today's young people (actually, I'm pretty hard on them), but I kind of understand your niece, leo.

She wants everything new and modern in her first apartment, things that reflex her tastes and preferences. Also, she doesn't know how incredible and coveted Le Creuset cookware is for those of us who ARE in the know! I may have been like that myself, when my grandmother was trying to give me stuff from her house (although, I DID gratefully take many of the things she offered).

Someday, she will look back with chagrin, at how she spurned your offer when she was young.

Glad your purchase found an appreciative home, and I hope you can forgive your young niece!

Lee

leolady

I'm no fan of the attitudes of many of today's young people (actually, I'm pretty hard on them), but I kind of understand your niece, leo.

She wants everything new and modern in her first apartment, things that reflex her tastes and preferences. Also, she doesn't know how incredible and coveted Le Creuset cookware is for those of us who ARE in the know! I may have been like that myself, when my grandmother was trying to give me stuff from her house (although, I DID gratefully take many of the things she offered).

Someday, she will look back with chagrin, at how she spurned your offer when she was young.

Glad your purchase found an appreciative home, and I hope you can forgive your young niece!

Lee

Of course I forgive her....I love her. I understand what she wants and why, but I just wanted to give niecy the best of everything.

I want to feel a warm connection that is missing through the generation gap. I want to be looked to for advice, more so than her silly little friends. In other words I guess I am wanting her to be more mature than what she is right now.

My niece is spoiled, very immature, and clueless. She is not stupid, but she is easily led by her peers. I guess I am pushing her far too fast because I don't want her to learn life's lessons the hard way. And I know deep inside that I can't protect her, but I can't help wanting to.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Leo Lady said:
she is easily led by her peers

This sums up so many today. An awful lot of online marketing centers around what your friends are looking at and buying as opposed to research into the product itself.

You have a particular love for vintage cookware and not all understand the quality of what you have.

Wait until she finds out that all that "celebrity" cookware is made by the same cheap companies & that the price is hiked up only due to the "celebrity" signature & not the quality of the products.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not surprised, LL. You've always been particular in wanting high quality goods but there are many like your niece who only know what the see in the advertisements. It's no different with my knives. Friends and neighbors don't get it because theirs are made of German steel and "everyone knows it is the best". Yeah, right. lol

leolady

Good point!

I did not offer her my extra set of knives [F. Dick] because I was afraid I would come by one day and see her opening a can with one!
ermm.gif
I promised my Cousin Jeff the F. Dick knives.

And the only other extra set of knives I have are my Wusthof Trident Classics, and they are my "travel knives". I take them in a knife carrying case with me when I go to someone's house or church to cook.

And hellll will freeze over before I give up any of my vintage carbon steel Sabatier knives. They are good enough for me, and I like them. Those new fangled knives like buzzards' are beyond my realm of experience.

I am ashamed to admit I took a subtle revenge on her last night. I found some Rachel Ray knives online with a plastic knife block. I told my sister about them, and she bought them for my niece. If they want crap, then I will enable them to get crap.

Am I a terrible person?
rolleyes.gif

Leni

"Am I a terrible person?
rolleyes.gif
"

Maybe. But then maybe she'll never be the cook that you are. If so, why waste the good stuff on her?