Why were these radishes a FAIL???

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I planted a variety of radishes that were new to me, Watermelon radishes.

I planted a couple in each of my large pots, so they had plenty of room.

Planted them the first couple of days in May, so it was still cool.

No fertilizer, just watered.

They ended up being tough, fibrous little cones, with lush foliage. ALL foliage.

Not even the coloring was right.

Any insights as to what happened?

I'll post a photo of what they looked like on the seed package.

Lee

Attachments

• Watermelon radishes 1.JPG
    Watermelon radishes 1.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Watermelon radishes 2.JPG
    Watermelon radishes 2.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Watermelon radishes 3, seed packet.JPG
    Watermelon radishes 3, seed packet.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 170

Saliha

So you sowed them at the early days of the May and harvested at the end of May? That might be one reason for kind of result. Watermelon radish, or so called Chinese Daikon radish, has longer growing time than traditional radish, about 60 to 70 days.

The reason why your radishes failt might be that they were still too young - like babies when you harvested them.

------------------------------------------

Cultivating daikon radishes is similar to growing traditional radish varieties only they generally need more space and more time to mature.

Radishes require full sun to part shade and regular water in order to thrive. Install drip irrigation for best results and put a 1-inch layer of mulch around plants to conserve moisture.

Radishes also grow best in temperatures below 80 degrees F.

Planting Daikon Radishes

In spring, you can plant these radishes as soon as you can work the soil. Continual planting every 10 to 14 days will ensure successive crops.

As with other radishes, growing daikon radishes are good to plant in places where you will put warm season crops such as peppers, tomatoes or squash.

If you want mature radishes in the spring, you can also plant them in the winter with the use of a cold frame or some other means of protection, unless you live in a temperate climate.

Place the seeds ¾ inch deep and 6 inches apart. Leave 3 feet between rows to allow for mature spread. The plants will mature within 60 to 70 days.

Source: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/radish/growing-daikon-radishes.htm

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, Saliha - the thought that the radishes might be too young occurred to me. But they started to bolt (establish seed heads), so I knew they were not going to be good. Way too tough and fibrous.

I did just harvest a few of my tried and true French Breakfast radishes. They are coming along nicely, as always!

Lee

Attachments

• French Breakfast radishes  May 2015.JPG
    French Breakfast radishes May 2015.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 152

Saliha

:thumb:

Looks nice and fresh radishes. I too have French Breakfast radishes growing in my garden but they are at the begining of their life, only the first cotydelons are visible.
Daikon radishes I haven´t at this year. In my garden I have the same old problem like in every year: too much seeds and seedlings and too little space.

Saliha

By the way, those watermelon radishes grow far bigger than traditional ones, they can range in size from golf ball to soft ball.