Canning Tomatoes

Johnny West

We are going to Whistler for a week, then I'm taking the Horseshoe Bay Ferry to Nanaimo and go up the North Island to fly fish for salmon with my bud, Sandy. We'll take two cars this year. I'm not sure how long I'll be up there because they will be getting ready to go to visit family, then head to AZ for the Winter. Normally I go in July but this year they went to the Yukon and Arctic Circle.

I did 7 more quarts today and tomorrow will make Ball's veg juice.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We are going to Whistler for a week, then I'm taking the Horseshoe Bay Ferry to Nanaimo and go up the North Island to fly fish for salmon with my bud, Sandy. We'll take two cars this year. I'm not sure how long I'll be up there because they will be getting ready to go to visit family, then head to AZ for the Winter. Normally I go in July but this year they went to the Yukon and Arctic Circle.

I did 7 more quarts today and tomorrow will make Ball's veg juice.

Sounds like a lovely time - enjoy!!

Lee

Johnny West

We stay at Twin Peaks across the street from Whistler Village. I fish out of Port Alice. I love it up on the North Island - as the locals call northern Vancouver Island.

I guess this is my last batch of tomatoes - depends on how much juice I make.

Attachments

• #Tomats 7.jpg
    #Tomats 7.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 166

Johnny West

I did up the last of the tomatoes save a few for slicing. I got almost 9 quarts of veg juice using Ball's recipe. It tastes pretty good. I'm done canning for the year.

Attachments

• #Veg Juice.jpg
    #Veg Juice.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 164

Johnny West

Yesterday we did a road trip to Yakima/Zillah and bought 9 lugs of tomatoes, peaches, green beans, sweetcorn, and 4 or five assorted 7# bags of split peas, barley, and beans.

Today the mrs is canning peaches and then I get started on the tomatoes. I need to find a good recipe for marinara to can.

Johnny West

Yesterday we did a road trip to Yakima/Zillah and bought 9 lugs of tomatoes, peaches, green beans, sweetcorn, and 4 or five assorted 7# bags of split peas, barley, and beans.

Today the mrs is canning peaches and then I get started on the tomatoes. I need to find a good recipe for marinara to can.

Attachments

• ####Canner Tomats.jpg
    ####Canner Tomats.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 149
  • ####Roma Tomats.jpg
    ####Roma Tomats.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 148

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
John, have you ever made a Bloody Mary with your homemade tomato juice?

Ambrosia!

Lee

Johnny West

I ddi and it's excellent with the home made vegetable juice. I will be making some on Monday.

I just put the second batch of tomatoes in the water bath.

This one just came out.

Attachments

• ####Tomats 1.2.jpg
    ####Tomats 1.2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 148

Johnny West

I've got 21 quarts done and that was a little over two boxes. Nancy started on her roma project and is baking the tomatoes - Amelia's mom is coning over and they will make marina.

Johnny West

They got 7 pints of marinara done which Nancy sent home with Meg. She started another batch just now and when she was out bought two more lugs of roma's and a fukk flat of blue berries. She has her work cut out for her.

Attachments

• ###Marinara.jpg
    ###Marinara.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 137

Johnny West

I did 14 more quarts of tomatoes this morning and when Nancy gets done with her sauce project I may make more. I dunno? I may wait till Monday and let some of these tomatoes ripen up a bit more. I have almost a box that needs more time to ripen and will probably juice them. I've got a several year's supply now and won't have to can any next season.

Attachments

• ####Tomat Op.jpg
    ####Tomat Op.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 128
  • ####Tomat Sat.jpg
    ####Tomat Sat.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 131

Johnny West

It's been a busy week and finally finished the tomatoes - I ended up with 56 quarts. I hope to have pictures later.

We went to Duris and got cakes so now am in the process of making another batch of refer dills, then will be done canning for the year.

Johnny West

Here is the last batch of tomatoes and don't think I'll do any next year. Our tomatoes aren't doing much and the cold weather is moving in. We plan to make a batch or two of green tomato salsa just so they don't go to waste, not to mention the time and money sent growing them.

Attachments

• ####Tomats Last Batch.jpg
    ####Tomats Last Batch.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 124

Johnny West

The last of our green tomatoes finally ripened and this morning made 5 quarts of tomato juice. I canned four and put one in the refrigerator for Bloody Mary's. There was one cup leftover which we shared. What I didn't know was my wife added some herbs to the mix as well as Aleppo pepper and this juice is not for the young. She just throws things in so not sure what her qualities were.

Attachments

• #####Juice II.jpg
    #####Juice II.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 120
  • #####Juice I.jpg
    #####Juice I.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 116

Johnny West

While I was in Iowa Nancy made several different kinds of sauce.
She didn't want to peel and can the way we used to do so ran
all through the Foley Food Mill. She says that’s the last time
we can tomatoes. We’ll see.

She made the lime sweet pickles before I went to Iowa.

C0379E63-D753-4107-97A8-236A5F5421CF.jpeg
9DCE6468-BB4B-4EA1-9A7D-3FC64FF301E3.jpeg
453D7529-C5D5-481A-BACC-A4CFABD6DC0C.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnny West

We had a lot of small tomatoes we weren’t eating so Nancy made more juice using carrots from her garden; commercial onions, green pepper, and jalapeño’s. Sine all this veg was added the jars were pressure canned. There were two extra not pressure cooked so she used one in a pasta dish and we gave one to Andy yesterday. We gave him a big bowl of tomatoes, as well. there are a lot more tomatoes coming on and will probably can a few more jars.

0826FF00-AEE5-4537-83F0-71E9A12FA6FA.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We had a lot of small tomatoes we weren’t eating so Nancy made more juice using carrots from her garden; commercial onions, green pepper, and jalapeño’s. Sine all this veg was added the jars were pressure canned. There were two extra not pressure cooked so she used one in a pasta dish and we gave one to Andy yesterday. We gave him a big bowl of tomatoes, as well. there are a lot more tomatoes coming on and will probably can a few more jars.

View attachment 52771

That sounds like a delicious V-8! See if Nancy will let you have one jar for Bloodys.

Lee

cozinhadave

That looks amazing to say the least.
Just a question, i don't know if its about the picture, but its looks a bit on the brown side, here in Portugal they are really red.

Either way i loved it.

Johnny West

That looks amazing to say the least.
Just a question, i don't know if its about the picture, but its looks a bit on the brown side, here in Portugal they are really red.

Either way i loved it.
The tomatoes are roasted in the oven and some get a bit of a burn or caramelization, then are run through a foley food mill and more concentrated. When I canned tomatoes mine were done whole and were always a bright red. Since my wife retired she insists on doing them her way. I’m out of it.

these tomatoes will be mostly in chili and color doesn’t matter to much

B720D0BF-0D2D-4104-9C88-9C813AE2FA95.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The tomatoes are roasted in the oven and some get a bit of a burn or caramelization, then are run through a foley food mill and more concentrated. When I canned tomatoes mine were done whole and were always a bright red. Since my wife retired she insists on doing them her way. I’m out of it.

these tomatoes will be mostly in chili and color doesn’t matter to much

View attachment 53313

When you canned your whole tomatoes, did you leave the peels on?

Lee

Johnny West

Today’s tomatoes. There is more on the hob and another two gallons to cook.
There are more in two bags she said she was going to toss but I will do something
with them next week. I’m thinking a marinara.

B0674C4A-470C-42B9-9EA0-A21983C0F8EE.jpeg