Creole Lima Beans

chilefarmer

This bean dish is really a good one. Sometimes one dish meals fit right in. This one works for me. Try it, I am sure you will like it. CF:smile:

Creole Lima Beans

1 pound dried large Lima beans
1/2 stick butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 TBS fresh garlic, minced
1 fresh tomato
1 TBS sugar
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 pound sausage of choice, sliced (I use ham hocks, smoked jowl, or smoked sausage.
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups cooked rice

soak beans in enough water to cover, overnight; drain and rinse. Melt butter and add onion and garlic. Sauté for 10 minutes. Add fresh tomato and sugar. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add Rotel, beans, sausage and enough water to cover beans by one inch. Cook 2 hours or until tender. Add salt and pepper. Serve over rice.

This looks great!!!

Since I'd be subbing in smoked turkey drumsticks, wings, or smoked turkey sausage, I'm thinking that I'd probably add them in during the last hour rather than for the full 2 hours? What do you think?

chilefarmer

Breezy, I see no reason why that would not work. You would get the smoke flavor and the turkey is already cooked. Let me know how it works for you. CF

Thanks! I'll post back. I only ask because I've learned from long experience that smoked turkey products tend to leach out flavor a lot quicker than smoked pork products, & it's nicer to end up with meat in the dish that at least has a little flavor left. :)

Oh, CF, this sounds so good. I love any kind of beans and something with zing to it really sounds like it would taste wonderful. One thing I've always been very fond of is any kind of beans on toast for a late night snack. Now all I have to do is learn how to smoke things and make sausage.

Fallon

btw, I'm going to be making "that" cake with all the Irish Cream in it either tomorrow or Friday and I'll let you know how it turns out. It's so pretty, I'm really excited about making it. :drink2:

chilefarmer

Breezy thats a +1 on meat with flavor. Flavor is the most important part of any dish. CF

Fallon, get the very large Lima's, I get mine at the middle eastern store. Its strange I never find them in the super market. Even stranger, they come from Peru.
The cake I am looking forward to for sure. I have no Irish cream and would have to drive 40 miles to get it. So won't be baking it real soon.CF

Here is a link to the Lima's. And another been that I love, Anasazi beans.
http://www.indianharvest.com/products-lentils-and-heirloom-beans-8