Quick Pickled Brussel Sprouts

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've been on a pickling kick. I made some pickled zucchini a while back and just recently made some pickled yellow squash and onions with the same recipe. It's on here somewhere. I had a ham/cheese/cracker plate the other day for lunch and had some of the squash on the side.

Here's something I'm going to try next:
https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/traditional-quick-pickled-brussels-sprouts-recipe

"... for snacking, sandwiches, or skewered to garnish a spicy Bloody Mary..."
"Serve them alongside a bloody Mary, on a meat and cheese platter, or with rich meats such as roast pork."

10 trimmed and halved Brussels sprouts
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
10 black peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1 sliced garlic clove
Pinch of crushed red pepper
1 fresh bay leaf

DirectionsInstructions

Cook 10 trimmed and halved Brussels sprouts in a large stockpot of boiling water until bright green, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Bring 3/4 cup water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, and 1 tsp. coarse kosher salt to a simmer in stockpot over medium; simmer until salt dissolves. Combine 10 black peppercorns, 1/4 tsp. yellow mustard seeds, 1 sliced garlic clove, a pinch of crushed red pepper, and 1 fresh bay leaf in a sterilized pint jar. Place Brussels sprouts in jar; add hot vinegar mixture. (You may have some leftover liquid.) Cool to room temperature. Cover with lid, and chill 4 days or up to 2 weeks before serving. Store covered in refrigerator up to 1 month.

Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump

Cooksie, did you ever make these? How did you like them?

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Never got around to doing the brussel sprouts, but both the zucchini and yellow squash were good. They're very easy.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Never got around to doing the brussel sprouts, but both the zucchini and yellow squash were good. They're very easy.

Did you use the recipe you posted above on your squashes?

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That's been a long time ago, so I had to go look in my recipe binder. I think the one in my binder is the one I used for the zucchini and yellow squash. It has onions in it, and requires much more doing.

I'm pretty sure I put a pic of the squash on here, just can't find it. I probably added the recipe too, don't know for sure though.

If you are interested in using the recipe, I'll take the time to type it out. There is no source noted in the recipe in my binder.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
It was pretty easy to find, so you're getting it whether you want it or not :D. I thought the yellow squash was better than the zucchini.

If I were going to pickle brussel sprouts, I would use the Southern Living recipe that I posted. I don't think they would need any sugar at all, especially if you're going to use them in bloody marys.

I cut way down on the sugar and just ignored the Japanese pickle maker and the jars with shoulders directions :biggrin:.

Zuni Café Zucchini Pickles

Total time: 20 minutes, plus marinating and pickling time

Servings: 3 cups

Note: Adapted from Judy Rodgers' "The Zuni Café Cookbook."

1 pound zucchini
1 small yellow onion
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed yellow and/or brown mustard seeds Scant 1 teaspoon ground turmeric

1. Wash and trim the zucchini, then slice them one-sixteenth-inch thick; a mandoline works best. Slice the onion very thin as well. Combine the zucchini and onions in a large but shallow nonreactive bowl, add the salt and toss to distribute. Add a few ice cubes and cold water to cover, then stir to dissolve the salt. Alternatively, transfer the salted zucchini and onion slices to a Japanese pickle maker and screw down the top; do not add any water or ice cubes.

2. After about 1 hour, taste and feel a piece of zucchini -- it should be slightly softened. Drain and pat dry.

3. Combine the vinegar, sugar, dry mustard, mustard seeds and turmeric in a small saucepan and simmer for 3 minutes. Set aside until just warm to the touch. (If the brine is too hot, it will cook the vegetables and make the pickles soft instead of crisp.)

4. Return the zucchini to a dry bowl and pour over the cooled brine. Stir to distribute the spices. Transfer the pickle to jars, preferably ones that have "shoulders" to hold the zucchini and onions beneath the surface of the brine. Seal tightly and refrigerate for at least a day before serving to allow the flavors to mellow and permeate the zucchini, turning them a brilliant chartreuse color.

Each 1/4 -cup serving: 27 calories; 0 protein; 7 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 0 fat; 0 cholesterol; 74 mg. sodium.
Source – Capital Gazette

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you, Cooksie!

I'm making them for a friend who can't have sugar, so I'm going to try your first recipe. Maybe double the garlic.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We all liked these! Thanks again, Cooksie!

Lee

Attachments

• Pickled brussels sprouts.JPG
    Pickled brussels sprouts.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 895

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Those look good. You know I love pickled stuff. Bloody Mary time!

Edit to add: I just thought of something. I bet that pickling recipe would be good on cauliflower too.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I had some cauliflower on my grocery list for yesterday, but it was out of stock. I'm going to make some pickled squash and onions this afternoon using the southern living recipe.

I'm not blanching, don't think squash needs to be blanched first.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I ended up using a combo of the two recipes - pickled squash and onions:

Taste test tomorrow