Where are YOU spending YOUR Thanksgiving this year?

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm presently spending mine in Georgia with family this week.

Gobble, gobble!! :bbq::piesmiley1::eating2:

Attachments

• Turducken Roll.jpg
    Turducken Roll.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 224

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good for you Shermie. Might be a tad warmer down that way at least.
We are hosting the festivities at our house once again this year. It's a lot of work getting the house ready for 20+ for dinner but I prefer that to going out to someone else's house.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
We're going to feed, and house, 10 family members. Then, in a month, my sister will be doing the same for Christmas. :)

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my Mom/Vinny; my Dad, & my bother/his dear & their tots. i know already that they'll look to get me to make half that stuff we dine on. bwa-ha-ha; skinny 'lil bitch is not making a damned thing, this year.

except fer macaroni/cheese. we know why i'm in charge of that in my family....... nobody else knows how. i may bring cheesecakes, tho.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
We're gathering with a group of other expats at a friends' home in a nearby town, San Vicente. We're doing this potluck style, and I'm cooking the 17-pound turkey, plus a sweet potato dish, plus cranberry sauce. Potatoes and cranberries are done and in the frig. I'm planning to cook the turkey, take it out of the roaster and wrap it tightly in foil, then make the gravy, then wash the roaster, then put the turkey back in the roaster, still wrapped securely in foil, for transport. Anyone have a better idea? Sure hope it works....

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the only question is how much time the trip takes.

a wrapped/covered turkey will stay cozy warm for 30-45 minutes, no problem.

I have a spread sheet with auto-calculated times and I _plan_ on de-ovening the turkey _done_ at "EAT minus 60 minutes" and keep covered. I do a post slow roast max oven temp browning, so in reality it's pull the bird, get the oven up to max temp, the brown-rotate-brown-rotate-brown/yaddayadda until I'm happy so that typically works out to out of the oven at 45 mins.

the really big upside: the "rest" time lets the meat firm up and slicing is way more easier/neater/cleaner/prettier.

if appearance is not going to be an issue, yank off the legs and wings while it is still hot. it's easier to do this while the bird is still highly flexible hot, but it is also not much a big deal if you want to "platter present" the perfect bird before carving.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Wow, thanks for such a good answer! The place we are going is only about 15 minutes away, and we'll skip the appetizer phase and bring the turkey just in time for the main course to be served. I think I'll leave the wings, etc. on - it's fun for everyone to see the whole actual turkey. Enjoy your holiday!

Guts

I will be spending Thanksgiving and my weekend on the boat in mission Bay San Diego. Nice weather here in San Diego in the 80s during the day and cool crisp nights. No turkey for me.

Attachments

• 07 04 2014.jpg
    07 04 2014.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 183
  • mission Bay channel.jpg
    mission Bay channel.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 184
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 174

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
At home this year.

No big crowds, my SIL is here, so just the three of us.

Jim

Saliha

I wish to all of you wonderful Thanksgiving where ever you will spend it (we here don´t have kind of holiday but when I am reading about your plans and recipes I wish we would have it :wub: ).

Shermie

Site Supporter
Me also!!

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!!! :)

Attachments

• Happy Thanksgiving!!.jpg
    Happy Thanksgiving!!.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 168

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm at one of my nephews' House.

The enticing & luscious smell of the food being cooked here is nothing short of phenominal!!!

One of my grands nwphews - the one who likes to cook (pictured below), with my assistance, has made 2 wonderful meals since I've been here!! He wanted to do them alone, so I let him have at, but I stood by in case he needed me for something.

We all were running around like a chicken with his head cut off, shopping and getting things together for this joyous day. Even though it is chilly, there is a big break in the weather from what it was during the last leg of the trip to the house!!

We are anxiously waiting to be able to sit down, give thanks for all this wonderful food that is being prepared, and then just reap the benefits of freashly made home cooking!! :piesmiley1::eating2::cooking:

Attachments

• Day-Day%20enjoying%20ice%20cream_.jpg
    Day-Day%20enjoying%20ice%20cream_.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 184

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I had a wonderful Thanksgiving with my nieces and nephews.
My sons both have new wives and were off with the new family members, respectively.
Mom understood. ;)
We had turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes with turkey gravy, green bean casserole, cran-salad and a lovely oriental salad that the other niece prepared, as well as a banana cream poke cake that drove me wild lol
Two recipes from that meal, the cake is also on Pinterest.

http://busymomrecipes1.blogspot.com/2011/06/oriental-salad-with-ramen-noodles.html

http://cherirecipes.blogspot.com/2013/08/banana-cream-poke-cake.html

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Since there is no dinner thread for today, I'll add that I had an open-faced Turkey Manhattan with my friend Brenda.

I think I am turkey'd out now.

Until Christmas.. :yum:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Nice to hear about others' feasts - my turkey transported perfectly and I do think that the hour's rest wrapped tightly in foil might have made it better, and more moist. Guts, I hope you had great sailing and Shermie, I love to see kids wanting to learn to cook. It's so important to pass our skills on to younger generations.