Stuffed Flounder w/ White Wine Sauce

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Stuffed flounder was one of the ubiquitous restaurant dishes of the 1980's. Usually it was a crab and bread stuffing without much character. My version reduces the bread, uses lump crabmeat, and adds shrimp and scallops to make it into something special.

The cheese on top is not really traditional and you don't want anything strong to overpower the flavors of the seafood, but I use a tablespoon or two primarily to help gently brown the top at the end of the cooking. Without it, it's a pretty pale dish.

Stuffing
:
2 tlbs butter
2 tlbs minced shallots
2 oz mushrooms, sliced
2 oz bay scallops
2 oz shrimp (either tiny shrimp or large shrimp cut up)
2 oz jumbo lump crab
4 tlbs dried bread crumbs
2 tlbs chopped parsley
salt & pepper

4 flounder filets (any mild thin white fish will work)

Sauce:
1 1/2 tlbs butter
1 1/2 tlbs flour
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup cream
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt & pepper

1 oz swiss cheese, grated

Make the stuffing:
Heat the butter in a skillet till foam subsides. Saute mushrooms until golden. Toss in the shallots and saute about 1 minute, until tender.

Add the raw seafood (scallops & shrimp). Cook for about a minute until the outside starts to color, but do not cook through. Remove from heat.

Add the cooked seafood (crab), breadcrumbs, parsley and seasoning.

Make the sauce:
Heat butter in a small saucepan. Add flour and cook for 2-3 minutes to remove the raw taste.
Whisk in the wine and cook for a minute or two.
Whisk in the cream and cook until thickened.
Season with a pinch of cayenne and salt& pepper.

Assembly:
Pat the fish dry and lay out on the worksurface presentation side down. Put the stuffing on one half of each filet. Fold the unstuffed half over the stuffing and tuck the end under.

Place the fish rolls in baking dish and top with the sauce.
Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes.
Top with just a bit of shredded swiss cheese and return to the oven for 5 more minutes.

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,309
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,310
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,325
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,301
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,294
I make something similar to this all the time.

But instead of doing the roll thing, I use individual-serving oval gratin dishes & place one fish filet in the bottom, layer the stuffing, & top with the second filet + the sauce/cheese/crumbs/whatever. Makes for nice individual presentations. Nice green salad & some good crusty bread completes it.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Mmm that looks good!

We found a wholesale fish market nearby, so fish is going on our menu more and more now. I will have to remember this one next time I go shopping!
Thanks!