Any Ideas For "Kicking Up" A Ham & Cheese Hoagie?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
How would you "kick up" a ham and cheese sandwich?

I've got a lot of sliced ham right now, and some hoagie buns.

I could go the traditional route of mayo, mustard, ham, cheese, lettuce and tomato. Maybe add black olives and banana peppers. But that's typical sub-way fare. Nothing wrong with it though.

I'm thinking of toasting the hoagie roll with butter and maybe garlic. Add ham, then cheese, then put it under the broiler to melt the cheese.

But then what? What else can you do for the ultimate melty ham & cheese? I thought about adding onions and then the cheese. Not sure if onions go well on a ham and cheese though.

Instead of putting mayo and mustard on the sandwich, I thought about mixing mayo and mustard in a bowl and put it on the side as a dipping sauce.

Any ideas on how to kick up the humble ham & cheese?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
My personal favorite: http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8420 Don't forget the thousand island dressing!

P6040579.jpg

Guts

there's a sauce of I make when I served ham that has been a family favorite for years. My mother and her mother made it. It consists of Welch's grape jelly and Frenches prepared mustard, the recipe calls for 50-50 ratio. I prefer and 60-40 ratio60 being the great jelly 40 mustard. I would stick with the Welch's grape jelly and regular sandwich mustard but you could use spicy mustard and another type of jelly or a preserved even. This might be kicking it up a bit. I'll let you decide.

mhend

This is an appetizer I make sometimes for family get-togethers. It's usually served on little dinner rolls but I think it would work well on a hoagie too. Just adjust the amounts to your liking.

Mustard
Butter
Finely diced onion
Poppy Seeds
Swiss cheese

Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the onion. Cook them until they start to soften, add the mustard. Cook for just a minute or two more then add poppy seeds and remove from heat. Spread the mixture on the bread. Layer on the cheese and ham. Put in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes or so until the cheese is all melty.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
there's a sauce of I make when I served ham that has been a family favorite for years. My mother and her mother made it. It consists of Welch's grape jelly and Frenches prepared mustard, the recipe calls for 50-50 ratio. I prefer and 60-40 ratio60 being the great jelly 40 mustard. I would stick with the Welch's grape jelly and regular sandwich mustard but you could use spicy mustard and another type of jelly or a preserved even. This might be kicking it up a bit. I'll let you decide.

My Mama used to LOVE bacon sandwiches with grape jelly on one side and yellow mustard on the other. It's a small world. All this time I thought my Mama was the only one who ate that :lol:

buckytom

Grill Master
another vote for spicy mustard and raw sweet or red onions with ham and cheese.

my childhood fave was mayo, lettuce, and doritos on a ham sammich. cbeese was an extra touch if mom had some left from my sister's sammiches.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The best tasting sandwich I ever ate I got when I was a first year sheet metal apprentice in North Miami. It had lettuce, onion, tomato all shredded or thinly sliced with sliced ham and provolone cheese. You could also add olives, banana peppers etc. Now what made them so good was the dressing which I never could figure out what is was really. It was some made in house Italian dressing (oil and vinegar) which the bread would soak a bit of it up. I never got back to that area of town after that one year I spent in that first shop. I did go back once on a visit but it was gone as the neighbor hood had gone bad. To this day I've tried to match the flavor of that sandwich with various types of store bought as well as home made dressing with no luck.