Peep's Linguini and White Clam Sauce

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peep's Linguini and White Clam Sauce

Tiny baby clams in shells (these are so small you buy them by the lb., I would say they are about the size of a quarter and worth looking for) OR cleaned clams (out of shells) with clam juice (you may need to add some clam juice if there isn't enough included with the cleaned clams)
Olive oil
Fresh garlic - minced fine
Fresh parsley - minced fine
Ground hot pepper flakes
Salt
Ground black pepper
Dry white wine - your favorite

1 lb. linguini - cooked in salted water then drained
Grated Romano and Parmesan cheeses - optional topping

If using clams in shells: Scrub clam shells thoroughly. Heat pot over medium heat. Place oil in pot. add garlic and cook just till fragrant. Place clams and all other ingredients except linguini and cheese in a pot. Bring to a boil lower heat, cover and cook just till clam shells open. (Do not over cook or clams become rubbery). Each person serves themselves and pulls clams out of shells.

If using cleaned clams: Heat pot over medium heat. Place oil in pot. Add garlic and cook just till fragrant. Place clams, clam juice and all other ingredients except linguini and cheese in a pot. Heat over medium heat just till hot. (Do not over cook or clams become rubbery)

Place cooked linguini in serving bowl. Pour contents of pot over linguini. May add grated cheese to each serving.

white_clam_sauce_100609_P1040378.JPG

THINK GREEN - RECYCLE THE CLAM SHELLS - MAKE CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS

Tiny Clam shells - washed very well inside and out
Uncooked small pasta shells
Wooden ball - drilled through the middle
Red and green rick-rack
Silver and gold metallic pipe cleaners
Yellow fluffy pie cleaners
Red felt - small amount
White and pink paint
Fine tip black maker
Cool temp Hot glue gun
Thin Gold twine - to use as the hanger

Make a loop out of the gold twine and thread through the hole in the wooden ball. Tie knot in twine so it doesn't slide back out. Hot glue ball to the pointed end of shell. Decorate as in picture (an angel) or any way you would like. Great children's craft. Just help them with the hot glue as they can get burned.

picture.php

Last edited:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Linguini and White Clam Sauce

Those clams you are refering to are called cherrystone and highly superiour to any other size for the clam sauce recipe.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Those clams you are refering to are called cherrystone and highly superiour to any other size for the clam sauce recipe.
hmmmmmmmmm by me cherrystone clams are bigger than little necks. must depend on the region. by me these have a name that starts with an L i think.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

countnecks, littlenecks, topnecks.... What was I thinking??? It must be time to go home.

Then cherrystone, quahog and chowder.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

countnecks, littlenecks, topnecks.... What was I thinking??? It must be time to go home.

Then cherrystone, quahog and chowder.
LOL these are tiny and now it is driving me nutso because i can't think of the name. i just point and say 2 lbs. LOL

cherrystone, quahog and chowder are huge where i am and we want tiny tender clams for the sauce.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

The way I listed them is the order of size...

Where in NJ are you? There are some great fish markets up here.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

The way I listed them is the order of size...

Where in NJ are you? There are some great fish markets up here.
hmmmmmmmmmm i i knew i knew you!! didn't know you were from nj.

hackensack/teaneck/pal park area. you? i only make this for xmas eve i used to go to desalvo's but the last time something turned me off and the parking stinks on main street. there was one across town but it is closed now.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

In Hackensack there is a place called Giant market on River Street, next to the McDonalds, heading away from Cedar Lane. It's crowded and cramped but they have the best fresh produce around and a great great great fish market. If you are not familiar with this place it's three shops under one roof. The produce/deli, the fish monger and the butcher. You have to pay each store seperately for your purchases, but it's worth the effort to take your wallet out three times.

In Little Ferry, (take River Street from Cedar Lane through the old 46 circle, to Washington Ave.) is Sonny's Fish Market on Washington Ave. He's got great fresh fish with a decided lean towards italian cooking. Go early because all the old ladies know about him.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

In Hackensack there is a place called Giant market on River Street, next to the McDonalds, heading away from Cedar Lane. It's crowded and cramped but they have the best fresh produce around and a great great great fish market. If you are not familiar with this place it's three shops under one roof. The produce/deli, the fish monger and the butcher. You have to pay each store seperately for your purchases, but it's worth the effort to take your wallet out three times.

In Little Ferry, (take River Street from Cedar Lane through the old 46 circle, to Washington Ave.) is Sonny's Fish Market on Washington Ave. He's got great fresh fish with a decided lean towards italian cooking. Go early because all the old ladies know about him.
thank you!!

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter

I have this same recipe and use butter clams - Oh how I can't wait to go clam digging!! :)

buckytom

Grill Master

thanks for the tips, vb. i'm going to have to check them out. when i lived across the street from the fire dept. in little ferry (wee ferry, as my irish freinds called it), i'd drive past sonny's and always thought it was a kinda stinky. on your word i'll have to give them a shot on my way home one night.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

thanks for the tips, vb. i'm going to have to check them out. when i lived across the street from the fire dept. in little ferry (wee ferry, as my irish freinds called it), i'd drive past sonny's and always thought it was a kinda stinky. on your word i'll have to give them a shot on my way home one night.
holy brown cow!! you live REALLY close to me!!

buckytom

Grill Master

ok, getting back on topic.

i'm a little afraid to ask this, but have you ever cooked cockles? :chef:

and yeah, in ascending order of size of hard shell clams, it's: pastanecks, littlenecks, topnecks, cherrystones, quahog, and chowder.

i wonder how piss clams would be in pasta. i've only had them steamed with broth and butter.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

ok, getting back on topic.

i'm a little afraid to ask this, but have you ever cooked cockles? :chef:

and yeah, in ascending order of size of hard shell clams, it's: pastanecks, littlenecks, topnecks, cherrystones, quahog, and chowder.

i wonder how piss clams would be in pasta. i've only had them steamed with broth and butter.
i can't even look at piss clams!! ACK!! are they circumcised?

i've never seen a cockle i only heard of it in that song about selling cockles and clams.

buckytom

Grill Master

alive, alive oooooooooooooh?

that was cockles and mussels.

with piss clams (aka ipswich, soft shell, and steamer), you preform the briss right at your table, then dip them in broth, butter, then you eat them leaving a stream of hot butter in a line on the table. :clap:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

alive, alive oooooooooooooh?

that was cockles and mussels.

with piss clams (aka ipswich, soft shell, and steamer), you preform the briss right at your table, then dip them in broth, butter, then you eat them leaving a stream of hot butter in a line on the table. :clap:
yeah thats the song!!

nasty yuck caca poo poo!! LOL i could say someting really bad here (and it's probably NOT what you first think) but i will behave!!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

You won't be disappointed, Bucky. A fish store is supposed to smell stinky on the outside. It's spotless on the inside. You should see that place on Christmas Eve. Service by numbers only, even numbers for people that have called in orders. He's great!