Buckytom's Shrimp and Scallops Marinara

buckytom

Grill Master
i made this last week while i was on vacation, and it was so good that even dw said it was better than any restaurant that we've ordered it.

shrimp and scallops marinara

ingredients:

1 lb. jumbo shrimp (20-30 count), shelled and deveined, tails left on
1 lb. bay scallops
1 cup diced onion
1 head of garlic, cloves peeled and sliced
4 tbsps unsalted butter
2 tbsps grapeseed oil
1 28 oz can of san marzano peeled tomatoes in puree (i use cento brand)
2 tsps dried savory
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
1 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
1 tbsp anchovy paste
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

directions:

in a large, deep saute pan over medium heat, melt 2 tbsps of butter, and add 2 tbsps of grapeseed oil. sweat the onions for a minute, then add the garlic. fry for just a minute or two, until the garlic just begins to turn golden.

stir in the anchovy paste until it disappears into the onions and garlic.

add the tomato puree from the can, and either chop or crush the tomatoes, adding them to the pan as well.

add the dried parsely, savory, and red pepper flakes. bring the sauce to a low bubble simmer, uncovered, stirring every once in a while for about 20 minutes, until the sauce thickens.

stir in the shrimp and half of the chopped fresh basil, cover and simmer for 2 minutes, then stir in the scallops. again, cover and simmer 2 minutes more. then add the rest of the chopped basil and 2 tbsps butter. stir until the butter is melted in.

serve over squid ink linguini, with a side salad and crusty semolina bread.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i made this last week while i was on vacation, and it was so good that even dw said it was better than any restaurant that we've ordered it.

shrimp and scallops marinara

ingredients:

1 lb. jumbo shrimp (20-30 count), shelled and deveined, tails left on
1 lb. bay scallops
1 cup diced onion
1 head of garlic, cloves peeled and sliced
4 tbsps unsalted butter
2 tbsps grapeseed oil
1 28 oz can of san marzano peeled tomatoes in puree (i use cento brand)
2 tsps dried savory
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
1 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
1 tbsp anchovy paste
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

directions:

in a large, deep saute pan over medium heat, melt 2 tbsps of butter, and add 2 tbsps of grapeseed oil. sweat the onions for a minute, then add the garlic. fry for just a minute or two, until the garlic just begins to turn golden.

stir in the anchovy paste until it disappears into the onions and garlic.

add the tomato puree from the can, and either chop or crush the tomatoes, adding them to the pan as well.

add the dried parsely, savory, and red pepper flakes. bring the sauce to a low bubble simmer, uncovered, stirring every once in a while for about 20 minutes, until the sauce thickens.

stir in the shrimp and half of the chopped fresh basil, cover and simmer for 2 minutes, then stir in the scallops. again, cover and simmer 2 minutes more. then add the rest of the chopped basil and 2 tbsps butter. stir until the butter is melted in.

serve over squid ink linguini, with a side salad and crusty semolina bread.
whats squid ink linguini?

buckytom

Grill Master
peep, it's pretty much regular linguini, but squid ink is added as it's made so it turns out black with a very slight seafoody taste.

buckytom

Grill Master
it's italian, buzz. not sure if asians make squid ink noodles.
the one i bought is imported from italy, and it's delicious! lemme see if i can find a picture.

urmaniac46

Never heard of that before. Do you find it in oriental food stores?

Actually it's an italian specialty, buzz. Go look for it in a shop which specializes in imported goods from Italy.

Bucky, I want to try this and I got a batch of frozen scallops. Would you suggest adding them defrosted or still frozen?

buckytom

Grill Master
hmm, i've only made it with fresh or defrosted scallops, leesh. i'd be afraid to add frozen scallops for fear that i wouldn't be able to time their doneness properly.

timing the addition of the shrimp and scallops is key so that they are both just cooked through at the same time without being over cooked. it depends on the size of each.

the last time that i made it, i used a small can of anchovies (minced) instead of anchovy paste.

make the sauce a little thick at first because the seafiood will add some of it's water to thin it out.

also, you might want to adjust the amount of garlic if you're not a "garlic person". i know italians chuckle at italian americans love of garlic. no vampires here...

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
it's italian, buzz. not sure if asians make squid ink noodles.
the one i bought is imported from italy, and it's delicious! lemme see if i can find a picture.

Mmmm. I'd never find it in this little burg. Sunday I'm going back to Naples for a couple of weeks and EVERYTHING down there is Italian so I'll be sure and find some. Then, with the super fresh shrimp and scallops..... I can taste it already.

buckytom

Grill Master
ok, one more note: don't skimp on the butter. it adds a certain something when sauteeing the onions, and then adds a rich creaminess when the last bit is melted in just before serving.

urmaniac46

haha Bucky I am a garlic freak and often my guests exclaim "wow, this is very garlicky!!" at my dishes, but obviously they enjoy them so what the heck :mrgreen:

I agree it is very delicate about the cooking time of seafoods like shrimps and scallops, so I wanted to ask first... I would love to get some fresh scallops but unfortunately in the central Rome they cost an arm and a leg, while sometimes you can find an affordable ones frozen. But last time I overcooked them (though I thought I was really careful!) and became too "gummy":ohmy:. Maybe I will pass them through boiling water real quick so not all of the juice won't escape.
Thanks anyway this recipe sounds like a sure fire winner:thumb:

urmaniac46

BTW the technique the Italian chefs use for "non garlicky people" is to fry the entire cloves (not chopped or minced) in the oil first, then remove the cloves then add the rest of ingredients. This way the sauce will get only a faint touch of garlic.

buckytom

Grill Master
yeah, that's been a debate in my house for a long time. dw likes the taste but not the so many pieces of garlic itself.

that's why i slice the cloves in half or thirds lengthwise, so it's easy for her to pick some of them out.

i have pics; just gotta upload them from my cell phone.

lol, btw, when you're cooking with a lot of garlic, it's a bad idea to take pics with your cellphone. my phone has a rubber skin on it that absorbed all of the flavors, so it has stunk like raw garlic all week. i kept thinking it was my breath every time i used my phone.

urmaniac46

lol, btw, when you're cooking with a lot of garlic, it's a bad idea to take pics with your cellphone. my phone has a rubber skin on it that absorbed all of the flavors, so it has stunk like raw garlic all week. i kept thinking it was my breath every time i used my phone.

:yum::yum::yum:

that is also very true with sautèed onion!!

would love to see the pic of the dish though!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
This really sounds good Tom, saved for next time I have the ingredients. Squid ink pasta can sometimes be found in Whole Foods here but not always. I does have a mild taste of the sea that isn't over powering. The last time I had it I think I was in Florence Italy in '82.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
haha Bucky I am a garlic freak and often my guests exclaim "wow, this is very garlicky!!" at my dishes, but obviously they enjoy them so what the heck :mrgreen:

I agree it is very delicate about the cooking time of seafoods like shrimps and scallops, so I wanted to ask first... I would love to get some fresh scallops but unfortunately in the central Rome they cost an arm and a leg, while sometimes you can find an affordable ones frozen. But last time I overcooked them (though I thought I was really careful!) and became too "gummy":ohmy:. Maybe I will pass them through boiling water real quick so not all of the juice won't escape.
Thanks anyway this recipe sounds like a sure fire winner:thumb:

Off topic but do you live in central Rome? I used to stay in the hotel on Piazza Colonello (I think that's the name) -- same hotel in the Chevy Chase movie European Vacation. I've been there fifty times more or less.

urmaniac46

Off topic but do you live in central Rome? I used to stay in the hotel on Piazza Colonello (I think that's the name) -- same hotel in the Chevy Chase movie European Vacation. I've been there fifty times more or less.

I looked up Piazza Colonello in Rome but I couldn't find it (there are several P. Colonnello in other cities), there are 100's of piazzas in Rome, as well as other Italian cities I know it can get confusing :wink: I am still not very good at the names of piazzas and vias after 6+ years in Rome...:blush:

We are pretty much in the centre if not exactly inside the historical centre where all the tourists flock, we live about a mile east of the main train station (Roma Termini), just the other side of Porta Maggiore, from our flat we can see all the trains coming and going from all over Italy and Europe...

buckytom

Grill Master
here's what i used: (sorry for the crappy pic. crappy cell camera.)

phonepictures045.jpg

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I looked up Piazza Colonello in Rome but I couldn't find it (there are several P. Colonnello in other cities), there are 100's of piazzas in Rome, as well as other Italian cities I know it can get confusing :wink: I am still not very good at the names of piazzas and vias after 6+ years in Rome...:blush:

We are pretty much in the centre if not exactly inside the historical centre where all the tourists flock, we live about a mile east of the main train station (Roma Termini), just the other side of Porta Maggiore, from our flat we can see all the trains coming and going from all over Italy and Europe...

It's the piazza the Parliment building is on. Edit: It's the pizza Colonna.....

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The best pizza I ever had was in Sicily which was about 6' long, 2' wide, thin crusted and covered with everything you could think of. Just simply great stuff.