Sass Is Gonna Fall Off The Wagon! o_O

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Why?
because I can lol
On the way home from work this evening I bought a cheap cut of meat, beef.. yes, a steak.
Now.. here is your job.. all of you.
Tell me how to prepare and eat it.
I will.. with pix even.
Maybe tomorrow, but it won't be grilled, I intend to pan fry it in butter in a cast iron skillet.

Helpppppppp!! :dizzy::thumb::smile:

Attachments

• Picture 3452.jpg
    Picture 3452.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Picture 3453.jpg
    Picture 3453.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Picture 3454.jpg
    Picture 3454.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 147

DickyBird

Marinate in soy-sauce, garlic, paw-paw if you have it and your favorite spices, if you like sweet add some honey.
I would personally load it with chilis but thats just me. :)
If you marinade it over night it will be killer.

IamSam

OK, first, that's a pretty fibrous cut of meat, so don't over cook it. 2-3 minutes a side TOPS! (assuming high heat) A dusting of cayenne pepper would help the flavor.

Next, get some Worcestershire (sp?), fresh mushrooms, bell peppers and onions and sautee' them in another skillet.

Slice the beef thin, and put the sauteed veggies over top, and you'll be in cheap, carnivore heaven!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
OK, first, that's a pretty fibrous cut of meat, so don't over cook it. 2-3 minutes a side TOPS! (assuming high heat) A dusting of cayenne pepper would help the flavor.

Next, get some Worcestershire (sp?), fresh mushrooms, bell peppers and onions and sautee' them in another skillet.

Slice the beef thin, and put the sauteed veggies over top, and you'll be in cheap, carnivore heaven!

I have some Tony Chachere's, some Durkee Kansas City Style seasoning salt-- my cupboard is loaded with spices, herbs and seasonings.
Got Worcestershire in the fridge, fresh mushrooms and peppers and onions.
Hmmmmmm lol

DB, got the soy sauce, garlic and honey.

Am I really going to do this?? LOL:lol::D

Yep!

More suggestions please. :thumb::smile:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
diet swiss steak..lol

thats what i call it when i make it for mrs bam

1 big can tomato juice
1 big can tomatoes
garlic
bell peppers
onions
spices
worchestershire sauce
cajun seasoning

sear on both sides. bake in oven at 300 with all ingredients until the meat falls apart.

a comfort dish that is low on calories and high on taste, until you make the mashed potatoes that i have with it..lol

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
diet swiss steak..lol

1 big can tomato juice
1 big can tomatoes
garlic
bell peppers
onions
spices
worchestershire sauce
cajun seasoning

sear on both sides. bake in oven at 300 with all ingredients until the meat falls apart.

a comfort dish that is low on calories and high on taste, until you make the mashed potatoes that i have with it..lol

Diet?:twak::whistle::lol:;)
That sounds like a possibility too Jeff.

Next? lol

Derek

Banned
Ut Oh, Sass getback on the wegan wagon, Did I say it right?

Anyways make sear it in the skillet and add your bbq sauce, MMMMMMMM rare steak is the only way to go.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

Anyways make sear it in the skillet and add your bbq sauce, MMMMMMMM rare steak is the only way to go.

top round steaks are not generally great as a medium rare kind of steak..

A round steak is a steak from the round section of a steer or heifer, known as a rump steak in the United Kingdom and Australia or or rump roast or huge butt in the United States and Canada. Specifically, a round steak is the eye round, bottom round, and top round still connected together. This is a lean cut and it is moderately tough. Lack of fat and marbling makes round dry out when cooked with dry-heat cooking methods like roasting or grilling. Round steak is commonly prepared with slow moist-heat methods including braising to tenderize the meat and maintain moisture. The cut is often sliced thin, then dried or smoked at low temperature to make jerky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_steak

i just call it diet steak because i started using this cut of meat when the misses went on here diet the first time.. she does like it grilled it but doesnt have the same texture and flavor as say a ribeye...

Derek

Banned
top round steaks are not generally great as a medium rare kind of steak..

A round steak is a steak from the round section of a steer or heifer, known as a rump steak in the United Kingdom and Australia or or rump roast or huge butt in the United States and Canada. Specifically, a round steak is the eye round, bottom round, and top round still connected together. This is a lean cut and it is moderately tough. Lack of fat and marbling makes round dry out when cooked with dry-heat cooking methods like roasting or grilling. Round steak is commonly prepared with slow moist-heat methods including braising to tenderize the meat and maintain moisture. The cut is often sliced thin, then dried or smoked at low temperature to make jerky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_steak

i just call it diet steak because i started using this cut of meat when the misses went on here diet the first time.. she does like it grilled it but doesnt have the same texture and flavor as say a ribeye...
Thanks Bam.

So what steak would you want if you want to do a rare to medium rare?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I’m going to agree with Bam here. If you try to grill (pan fry) that cut at all, you’ll end up with a tough chewy bit of beef bubble gum. Which, of course, will put you right back on the wagon! :lol:

Braising is the best option for that cut, and Bam‘s recipe looks great. Maybe even add some cheese as a finisher.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Bam.

So what steak would you want if you want to do a rare to medium rare?

Tender cuts.....muscle that isn't used as much. Ribeye, NY Strip, Filet. Even a "Chuck Eye" steak if you can find a butcher to cut it. It's a rare, but flavorful and tender cut. And rather inexpensive to boot.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Derek, if I'm gonna eat a slice of Moo, it ain't gonna be rare:yum:

Derek

Banned
Tender cuts.....muscle that isn't used as much. Ribeye, NY Strip, Filet. Even a "Chuck Eye" steak if you can find a butcher to cut it. It's a rare, but flavorful and tender cut. And rather inexpensive to boot.
Thank you very much, Keltin. I always wondered what would make a good rare steak!

Derek, if I'm gonna eat a slice of Moo, it ain't gonna be rare:yum:
That's the only way I will eat a moo Sass.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I’m going to agree with Bam here. If you try to grill (pan fry) that cut at all, you’ll end up with a tough chewy bit of beef bubble gum. Which, of course, will put you right back on the wagon! :lol:

Braising is the best option for that cut, and Bam‘s recipe looks great. Maybe even add some cheese as a finisher.
That's what I'll do then.
Thanks!

chowhound

The only thing I can add is too say prepare it quickly :huh:
It looks like you bought it a day after the sell date :ohmy:

:chef:

GotGarlic

This link I found says that cut is aka a London broil. Sass, I know you said you don't want rare beef, so I'm posting this for the benefit of someone else who might read the thread who does like it rare or medium-rare.

A classic way to prepare London broil is to marinate at least four hours or overnight in Italian dressing, then sear or grill 3 minutes or so per side, to rare or medium-rare, then slice thinly across the grain; slicing it this way will cut the long meat fibers into shorter pieces, making them more tender. This makes a great topping for a green salad.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
How about a simple pot roast, easy any root vegetable, some stock, wine and herbs of your choice.

GotGarlic

How about a simple pot roast, easy any root vegetable, some stock, wine and herbs of your choice.

This is just me, but when I do a pot roast, I like to do a 3-4-pounder, so I have LOTS of leftovers (cooking for two here) :smile: Sass' steak is less than a pound.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
This is just me, but when I do a pot roast, I like to do a 3-4-pounder, so I have LOTS of leftovers (cooking for two here) :smile: Sass' steak is less than a pound.

You are right GG, my old eye transposed weight and price. I just doubled checked and it is only .8 lbs so I agree do it as a steak. :oops:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
It's delicious!:brows:

Attachments

• Picture 3456-1.jpg
    Picture 3456-1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Picture 3457-2.jpg
    Picture 3457-2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 117

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
diet swiss steak..lol

1 big can tomato juice
1 big can tomatoes
garlic
bell peppers
onions
spices
worchestershire sauce
cajun seasoning

Used everything you suggested Jeff to suit the dish-but added a T of brown sugar to the sauce as well.
Over rice. Yum! lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sass you not only fell off the wagon it sounds like it might of run over you too. Welcome to the dark side again. :alc:

Derek

Banned
It's delicious!:brows:

Used everything you suggested Jeff to suit the dish-but added a T of brown sugar to the sauce as well.
Over rice. Yum! lol
just a touch? I would have used a little more because of the sweet tooth in me :)

Sass you not only fell off the wagon it sounds like it might of run over you too. Welcome to the dark side again. :alc:
She did didnt she?

But for a day lol
I'm glad you liked it Sass, I'm still learning about meat, and I'm glad you didn't take my suggestion.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Over rice. Yum! lol

glad you enjoyed it hun... and as joe said...welcome back to the dark side but he forgot to add... we have cookies....lmao

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I could make love to this

that was one of the best steaks i cooked myself... Amanda went to the store and she said "i have a little surprise for you.." she told me she looked for the thickest steaks she could find..thata girl..

black angus...:clap: