What is you BBQr's thoughts on this trash can smoker?

Lefty

Yank
http://cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

Here is the guys synopsis;

So there you have it, a working smoker made from easily available parts.
Here's what I spent:
Trash Can w/ lid: $12.00
Electric Hot Plate: $13.00
Grating: $10.00
Wood Chip Box: $10.00 (actually, I already had this, but they are cheap if you need to buy one.)
Temperature Gauge: $9.00
So for just over $50, you can build a smoker.​

chowhound

I couldn't get a trash can smoker to work.
I played around with one last year using different wattage hot plates and different methods of putting the chips on the hot plate. I could barely smell the mesquite chips, let alone producing any real smoke and the temp would climb, only to fall off again. And this was in summer. I had digital thermometers all over the place trying to figure out why the hot plate was hot, but not generating the heat needed...

So now I have a metal garbage can with holes in it, a hot plate, and a grate I'm not using. And a Weber Smoky Mountain cooker :^)

smoke king

Banned
I actually saw a couple of ladies finish in the money at a bbq competition using one of these-and theirs wasn't nearly as "refined" as the one Lefty linked to!!

High Cheese

Saucier
There's no finished pics of the food. So, like CH said, I'm not sure they're worth that kind of effort.

I have Alton's directions for a clay pot smoker somewhere. I think the clay pot might hold more heat.

chowhound

I hunted high and low for a clay pot I could make that smoker with Jeeks. Around here when they get that big, they are made from plastic. I think the clay would have been much more efficient.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Alton Brown did one using the same idea and large clay planter pot. It seemed to work good but he also had a water bowl above the chips.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i wouldnt make one of these...galvanized is not good for you.... it is really bad for you... just not a good idea

walmart ECB(El Cheap Brinkman) - $30
charcoal - $8
temperature guage - $9
googling mods for ECB - free
not killing your family and friends from galvanized metal - priceless

http://cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

Here is the guys synopsis;

So there you have it, a working smoker made from easily available parts.
Here's what I spent:
Trash Can w/ lid: $12.00
Electric Hot Plate: $13.00
Grating: $10.00
Wood Chip Box: $10.00 (actually, I already had this, but they are cheap if you need to buy one.)

Temperature Gauge: $9.00
So for just over $50, you can build a smoker.​

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
So now I have a metal garbage can with holes in it, a hot plate, and a grate I'm not using. And a Weber Smoky Mountain cooker :^)

seriously that is not good for you chowhound... now u got me worrying that one of my forum members is gonna get sick from using this..lol:dizzy:

you could make an UDS - Ugly drum smoker:thumb:

PanchoHambre

Hey BAM do you have a pic or link to thie ECB could not fine one on WalMart website..

I want a smoker ... does not have to do volume but it would be nice to be able to smoke.. I also have limited outdoor space

and what's bad about the Galv?

Lefty

Yank
i wouldnt make one of these...galvanized is not good for you.... it is really bad for you... just not a good idea

walmart ECB(El Cheap Brinkman) - $30
charcoal - $8
temperature guage - $9
googling mods for ECB - free
not killing your family and friends from galvanized metal - priceless
Thx, some reputation for you!!!

chowhound

Before trying to make one of these I did a little research, also being a former tin knocker. The low smoking temps will not get hot enough to burn the galvanized on the trash can, giving you zinc oxide poisoning.
And I Googled Brinkman smoker and came up with all sorts of cool links, including modifying the ECB (el cheapo brinkman). It's a populat smoker.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
but why take the risk?

I couldn't get a trash can smoker to work.
I played around with one last year using different wattage hot plates and different methods of putting the chips on the hot plate. I could barely smell the mesquite chips, let alone producing any real smoke and the temp would climb, only to fall off again. And this was in summer. I had digital thermometers all over the place trying to figure out why the hot plate was hot, but not generating the heat needed...

Before trying to make one of these I did a little research, also being a former tin knocker. The low smoking temps will not get hot enough to burn the galvanized on the trash can, giving you zinc oxide poisoning.
And I Googled Brinkman smoker and came up with all sorts of cool links, including modifying the ECB (el cheapo brinkman). It's a populat smoker.

chowhound

Oh it's definitely not worth fooling around with, although I wanted to make something simple and homemade, but I did not feel at risk doing so.
Now if you were to use charcoal directly on the cans bottom..... that would be a different story. I don't remember the burning temp for zinc, but it's pretty high.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Hey BAM do you have a pic or link to thie ECB could not fine one on WalMart website..

I want a smoker ... does not have to do volume but it would be nice to be able to smoke.. I also have limited outdoor space

and what's bad about the Galv?

i couldnt find anything on the walmart website either... but it comes in hexagon shaped box..some assembly required and readily available at all walmarts...

looks like this when it is put together... i have made lots of good food on it...if you dont want charcoal, u can go the electric route... a little more money but still makes good Q... available at walmart,home depot, and lowes

ecb_1.jpg

and the electric model...side note... there are other makers of these and they all work the same...

brinkmann_810-7080-6.jpg

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You generally won't get it with much below the temps needed for welding it. For example you won't get it from grinding on it. Either way also being an old tin knocker I wouldn't use galvanized metal. My smoker similar to the brinkman is made from cold rolled steel then a high heat paint is applied. I've had mine now close to 5 years and it is always out side though covered. The grates are all stainless steel and removable for easy cleaning. Oh and I paid less than $100 bucks for it.

PanchoHambre

Thanks Bam & Lefty

These look good. The long barrel kind that many of you have is just too big but the vertical one looks good

chowhound

That's why I like the bullet style. They don't have a large footprint, but they have their limits of course.

Attachments

• smoker.JPG
    smoker.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 662

chowhound

I love that one, Joe.
If I had seen that one before buying my WSM, that's what I would have on my porch now.