How to calibrate a notebook LCD?

johnrite

Banned
I had to get a new laptop and the screen doesn't look right. I have no knowledge on calibrating a LED LCD, or any other monitor for that matter. So, before I mess anything up I would like to know if anyone has done this before and if it's reversible?
I have a laptop with a 17.3" HD + LED LCD display running Windows 7. Generic PnP Monitor on Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset. I can get to the calibrate display settings but kind of don't want to mess anything up.
My photo's look very different on other monitors. I don't want to post washed out looking photos that I have taken the time to edit. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Shermie

Site Supporter
When you say calibrate, what are you discribing? Are you looking to fine tune the screen or something?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I have not used Windows 7, just getting used to Vista and getting it to work right, LOL. Anyway, just curious as to why you are on a PnP Generic Monitor? Usually it would be under whatever brand made it. For instance mine is a Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT.
On Vista you go to your desktop and right click to bring up a window. Click Personalize to get another window, then click on Appearance. Your LCD display looks about the same as mine, 17.1" HD LCD. My resolution is set all the way to 'high', 32bit, and 1920 x 1200 pixels.
This gives me a very fine resolution, high quality. You might find you prefer larger print than this gives you (I like the small print, fits more on the screen). If so, just start moving the slider on 'Resolution' down from high bit by bit (hitting apply after each time you move the slider) until you get the resolution you want. In each case, you should get a window that asks you if you like the new settings. If you don't, click the button to go back to the previous settings. It gives you 30 seconds to decide if you like the new setting or the old setting.
None of this effects the hardware itself, and can easily be changed so don't worry. As for the Generic PnP Monitor, you can click on 'Identify Monitor' and see if it gives you the manufacturer. If so, you might want to then check for an updated driver and see if that also helps you.
Again, I don't know what Windows 7 looks like, but on Vista it pretty much walks you thru all this fairly easily. You just have to know where to find all the settings to change them.
Most can be found under the control panel if need be.