How do you connect to the internet

How do you primarily connect to the Internet?

• DSL (ADSL, SDSL, HDSL, etc)

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Cable

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Satellite

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Local Wi-Fi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tethering (connect PC to Cellular Phone or other Mobile device)

• Dial-Up

• Handheld Only (portable mobile device like a Blackberry)

• Fiber optic

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Other

• Total voters

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I saw a pic in another thread that had a NetZero dial-up installation CD in it, and I go to wondering. How do you primarily connect to the internet. For the purposes of the poll, we are talking about how you connect your PC or Laptop. I realize that many also connect via Blackberries and smart phones, but I’m just curious about how you primarily connect your PC or Laptop to the net.

But, just in case, I put in an option for anyone that might not have a PC or Laptop and instead uses a handheld. But again, think about how you PRIMARILY connect.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I had DirecPC for years (satellite) due to living in areas with no cable or DSL. It was outrageously expensive with very fast down loads but poor upload speeds. Due to the lag time from you to a satellite it was just a little faster than dial up for browsing. Now once you got the site you wanted and it started to download it was faster than DSL or even cable.

Now I have DSL and will never look back at satellite again as I pay 25% of what I did for satellite. I have 2 modems one on the business line and one private line which are combined cheaper by 75% per month than it was for the satellite and I also get phone service which I did not get with the dish.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
FIOS! I can’t believe I didn’t put down FTH (Fiber To the Home) as an option! That’s actually what I work on! GPON which offers triple pay service over fiber. :pat:

It’s still not as wide spread as the other options, but it’s catching on fast. So if anyone does have fiber, then select other. :wink:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I use cable at home and DSL in NYC. Believe it or not no fiber, cable or satellite is available in my building in NYC. That is a very long story.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh, I also connect via Cable at home.

At work, we have a few T1s bonded that connect us directly to our ISP.

High Cheese

Saucier
Do you have Triple Play with them? What's your Download and Upload speeds?

Yeah, I have the Triple Play. Not sure of the speeds...fast as @#$% though. Faster than anything I need it for, browsing, songs and maybe software once in a blue moon. I'll do a speed test when I get home.

I have cable at work, I'm getting 9/1.5

Lefty

Yank
Awesome! Thank you lefty!!! :clap:

You are welcome.
mighty-mouse.jpg

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Mainly through cable and home WiFi but I also tether my laptop to my iPhone even though Apple hasn't authorize such naughty behavior yet. Shhhhh. Don't tell 'em.....

Love2"Q"

on cable for now ...
verizon is putting fiber optic in on our street
by the end of the year ...
cant wait ..

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
17/4.5 at home.....is that good?
smirk.gif

Yeah, that’s pretty damn awesome! You have a 4.5 upload pipe?!?! I’ve never seen one that high for residential service. Incredible.

I pay for a 20/2 pipe, and typically get 18.5/1.7.

I just tested it, and somehow my ISP has goofed.

Typically, they goof in their favor and I get screwed……not this time!! I HAD to screenshot this! :yum::yum::yum:

30.2/1.9

I wonder how long this will last???? Better hit some pr0n sites before they throttle me back. :lol::lol::lol:

egwr29.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
16325 download 2235 up ...
not bad for cable ..

Very nice! How are you guys getting such good upload pipes? My ISP has 3 residential packages:

3 / 0.128
8 / 0.500
20 / 2

I had the middle package, and was averaging 460k uploads. It was horrible. The 2Meg pipe (~1.9) is much better, but you and HC are hitting 2.2 and even greater than 4. Wow.

High Cheese

Saucier
I have one of the oldest Fios installations in my neighborhood so I'm not reaching the speeds I should. I think typical speeds are 25/15 or something like that.