DrybagSteak Crusted Tenderloin

BBQ Queen

I've been playing with the DrybagsSteak product for dry-aging at home the past couple of months. Have done a whole strip loin I got at Costco and got some beautiful New Yorks aged 21 days off that.
Looking at how the crust forms on the surface, I thought it might be interesting to see what it would do with a tenderloin. Since that's a cut that is generally tender enough, I wasn't thinking of putting much age on it, but wanted to use the drying part.
I love the crust of herbs and nuts on some restaurant tenderloin dishes, but the stuff all seems to fall off when I do it at home. So... off to the "lab" I went.
First I ground up some rosemary and some whole almonds, mixed them with some sea salt and a little bit of black pepper. I used about a six inch long piece of tenderloin and rolled it in the mixture until I got it coated as thick as I could. Placed the roll into the very bottom corner of the Drybag and sealed it up tight.
I put it in the fridge on the open rack for about three days, watching how deep the color got and how firm. Since I didn't want to trim off the outer surfaces (obviously!), I wanted to make sure it stayed a relatively eidble=looking color--from what I could see through the meat.
Then I cracked it out of the Drybag, found most of the herbs and nut mixture had bonded with the surface of the meat beautifully. I sliced through the roll in four places and grilled up four lovely crusted tenderloins.
The seasoning was a great addition to the deepened flavor of the tenderloin (not the richest flavored cut known to man).
If you have tried Drybags, give this a try.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Sounds great! I've never even heard of these drybags. How do they work?

BBQ Queen

Frankly, I'm not sure how exactly the Drybags work, but I followed the directions on the website and was able to dry age beautifully in my fridge. I had tried putting some age on meat in the fridge before but found it left an odor I couldn't bear and the meat just looked so funny, I didn't want to risk going more than a couple of days even with the best air circulation. With the Drybag concept, you basically create a protective layer on the surface of the meat. It magically releases the moisture, but allows no air inside. The surface of the aging meat is smooth, clean, evenly colored and, most important, dry. The age is beautiful.
You just vacuum seal the beef you want to age (I used about four steaks' worth of Creekstone boneless ribeye the first time, but went with a whole Costco strip loin this last time) into the Drybag and put it on an open rack in the fridge with plenty of space around it.
When I got such good results with the two steak experiments, I thought I'd try something else. The DrybagSteak support people had said that tenderloin was only good to age a couple of days, so I thought I'd play with the idea--but watch the color. I liked the results, as I said in the recipe post.
Not sure if you would get the same nice crust adhesion and deepening of flavor if you aged without the Drybag, but again, the Drybag makes me feel like aging at home is a lot safer. They seem to have the science to speak for it. If you're interested, you can find them on the web. I saw them mentioned in another cooking blog and looked the up. Not sure what I'll try next time, but our Mother's Day BBQ afternoon just finished off the rest of the New Yorks I'd aged and frozen, so maybe it's back to basics for awhile.