Winter Gardening

Leni

Living in SoCal has one nice benefit, I can garden year round. Right now I am clearing my plots and getting ready to add amendments and rototill. I'll be planting peas, cabbage both red and green, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, carrots, radishes and whatever else strikes my fancy. That would include turnips, spinach, lots of lettuces and I'll figure out what else.

I almost forgot. I've already planted winter tomatoes. Yes there actually is such a thing. They are up against a west facing garage wall that will absorb the heat from the sun. I've be able to grow regular tomatoes there during the winter so it will be interesting to see how these guys do.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm envious, too, Leni!

I bet there are a LOT of blessings to living in Southern California! :)

Lee

Leni

I would think that any of the root crops would also work such as beets, carrots and radishes.

abi_csi

Jealous... It's getting cold here now. I could do with a warmer climate, i'm an outdoors person and can't stand the cold. I would love to do a bit of warm gardening.

Leni

Maybe I'll finally be able to finish planting my winter garden. Every time the soil was dry enough it rained again.

Leni

A BIG problem has developed. The gardens are right next to a nature preserve. The bunny rabbits there have discovered our gardens. They have eaten my spinach down to the ground. Before I can plant anything else I have to put a fence around my plots. Urge to kill.

Mr. Green Jeans

Leni, bunnies can burrow too. When you put a fence around your plot, bury it 6 - 8". Otherwise, you just slow them down from munching.

Leni - I live in VA where bunnies, groundhogs, deer, & other veggie-lovers abound in the thousands. Try buying & using "floating row covers". It's amazing how well they work at keeping pests out - big & small.

Leni

The big problem with that is that temperatures can easily hit 104 or higher for several days in a row here. A couple of summers ago it hit 117. During the winter I can use floating row covers but I don't think that will work during the summer.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Bunnies are NOT cute in gardens. I have cabbage, lettuce, beets, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, swiss chard and spinach. First real winter garden. Planted Christmas week. Everything looks good but the spinach, it is not growing at all. Should I hang in there or pull it and start again?

The big problem with that is that temperatures can easily hit 104 or higher for several days in a row here. A couple of summers ago it hit 117. During the winter I can use floating row covers but I don't think that will work during the summer.

Leni - floating row covers come in several different weights/thicknesses. What you need are "insect-weight" floating row covers. They're wonderfully light - let air, water, & 90% sunlight through. In fact, you can even see through them. Shop around & you'll see what I mean. "Insect Weight" is what you're looking for. Heavier weights are for those of us looking for frost protection.

Leni

Spinach is a high nitrogen eater. Get a bag of blood meal and side dress the spinach every week. Actually when you plant spinach it is a good idea to dig a trench and put a layer of blood meal in it, add some soil and then plant your spinach.

Thanks for the info about the floating row covers. I'll look into that.

Leni

I could never grow spinach until I read that in a catalog. It should make a huge difference with your spinach. Actually it's a good idea to use it on any green leafy veggie.

Leni

I'm growing something new this winter. They are called Artic tomatoes. They have been bred to tolerate cold and still produce. Not too many tomatoes so far but they do taste like real tomatoes and not the cardboard red stuff that they sell in the markets. They are small, only a couple of inches in diameter.

Have you seen/grown this one Leni? http://tasti-lee.com/
The New York Times had an interesting article about it last week - apparently it's REALLY good & puts other greenhouse-grown tomatoes to shame with it's real tomato texture & flavor.