DO Carrot Cake !!!

Fe Stomach

In Looking at entering a DO Dish into the State Fair, We learned the rules. Requirements are that entrants make three dishes, a main course, a bread and a dessert. So, It looks like next year for the fair, but practice begins THIS YEAR!!!

So, My Partner (Sweet-not-sour) and I have begun, we have decided to split the task into managable parts, I will take the lead on the dessert, she will take the lead on the bread and we will share on the Main dish.

Looking at the dessert recipes out there, the bulk are Cobblers, Crisp and puddings.......BORING!!!

But, Keltin reminds us that these are in fact OVENS, with that in mind, we found a couple of carrot cakes and the war dept...uh...I mean Sweet-not-sour, has a family recipe, Pineapple/Rubarb pie, that we are going to try to perfect and share on these very pages......Here goes.

Carrot cake Attempt #1

The goo:
2 cups unsifted flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup vegatable oil
2 tsp soda
Swipe of crisco (vegetable shortning, not oil)
4 eggs
3 cups clean grated carrots
4 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups powered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans to scatter on the finished cake so it dosen't look bland.

mix up the flour, salt, oil, soda, sugar, cinnamon real good, then crank in the eggs one at a time.
When that is all blended, stir in the carrots.

Smear the crisco into the 12" DO and dust it real good with a fistfull of flour, shake it around so that it is covered with flour at least half ways up the side.

Pour it into the DO and cook for 50 minutes at 350'. Normally 25 briquettes, 8 on bottom and 17 on top, we used 9 on bottom and 18 on top as today was a little blustery and cool outside.

While the cake is baking, ...
Beat the cream cheese and the butter/margarine together.
as you are fluffing up the cheese and margarine, slowly add the sugar keeping it all well mixed as you go, don't let it begin to clump up by adding the sugar too fast!! When you run out of sugar, add the vanilla and crank it in. Let this stiffin' up in the refer while the cake finishes cooking and cooling.

Back to the cake....
We used a toothpick to check for doneness, (toothpick comes out dry).
Also we noticed, the first time we checked the cake, at about 40 minutes, there were little "bubbles" scattered around the top maybe 20 or 30 of them. The second time that we opened the lid there were very few of these bubbles, maybe six or seven.

When it was done we ran around the cake with a PLASTIC knife to loosen it from the side then let it cool for 45 min or so.

OPTIONAL:
Then we put a circle of parchment paper on the cake and then put a pre-formed dutch oven foil liner in the pot, when we inverted the DO on the liner, the DO lifted off and left a perfect looking carrot cake sitting on the Liner!! LUCKY ME!!!

After it cooled some more, we (she) spread the frosting on the cake and sprinkled the nuts on top of it.

Results? Five more pounds to jog off...Ya right, FIRST THING IN THE MORNING!!!!

We will critique all of these after we have tried them all to compare to each other, (but I'll tell you right now, this came out just fine!!)
:piesmiley1:

Scotty

Attachments

• Carrot Cake 003.jpg
    Carrot Cake 003.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 910
  • Carrot Cake 004.jpg
    Carrot Cake 004.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 905
  • Carrot Cake 005.jpg
    Carrot Cake 005.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 926